HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 8:58 PM

^I wouldnt really say downtown greenville is any smaller than downtown augusta now that the westend and riverplace have been built. The metro is a lot bigger than augustas. I was in augusta this past winter and spent a few days there. I do love how the savannah river runs through it. I liked the fort discovery place also. That is something Greenville needs.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustan View Post
Is that railroad in about the 14th picture Carolina Piedmont Railroad tracks by any chance? ..I know this seems random, but I'm a major railfan, and that particular shortline is one of my favorites. (My favorite parts of Greenville are downtown and trains )

Anyway, the developments look very nice and modern, I hope to drive by the area later today.
I believe so. That rail will make way for a BRT line from ICAR-downtown in 3 years if federal funding is successful. There is also a rail line just south of where that pic was taken that is still in use by GE.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 9:48 PM
The Last Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435 View Post
I believe so. That rail will make way for a BRT line from ICAR-downtown in 3 years if federal funding is successful. There is also a rail line just south of where that pic was taken that is still in use by GE.
I suppose that track would need serious rehabilitation in order to meet those qualifications. GE must use their line as a test track?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 8:48 PM
The Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
^ Thanks for the pics g-man, can't stop the progress. btw, that rendering a page ago about the Pinnacle is impressive.
I wouldn't expect someone who calls him/herself "Augustan" to be excited about any place other that Augusta.

Hi there Ex-Ithacan,
Has anyone posted the link to the new development at The Point? Check out the nice flyover video to get a feel for how dense it will be.

Here are a few photos from downtown Greenville for everyone's enjoyment:

RiverPlace

West End

Various Downtown:

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 3:49 AM

Greenville really does have one of the nicest downtown's anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 2:49 AM

Quote:
This is the only update for now. I'll have more later tonight.

Pinnacle nears re-start after 'regroup'
Richard Breen-GSA Business

Bob Ellis, developer of the Pinnacle on Main, says construction should begin on his downtown Greenville high-rise at the beginning of July, following a shuffling of tenants. A ceremonial groundbreaking was held earlier this year for the 15-story, mixed-use building, but there has been little work done at the site since.

"We had someone come in - a national figure, if you will - planning to put a restaurant on the first floor," Ellis says. Meanwhile, another first-floor tenant is wrapping up negotiations and a regional business has approached Ellis about office space. "All of a sudden, these people came up and we had to regroup," he says.

Some internal reconfiguration was necessary to accomodate the first-floor restaurant. Additional changes were made so the large office tenant could purchase multiple office condominium units. "Everything's poised and ready to go," Ellis says. "We're negotiating some deals. It's coming along nicely." Ellis declined to name the new tenants.

The Pinnacle on Main includes both office and residential condominiums. It will include a penthouse-level private club as well as a fitness center with indoor pool. Ellis' architect firm, The Ellis Group PA, is the building's designer. Triangle Construction Co. is the general contractor.
Well, I think we can safely say the "beginning of July" has come and gone and the only thing sprouting up on this site is weeds. Will this project ever get going?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 3:17 AM

^^Nope.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 8:43 PM

All construction projects over nine stories are on hold, except for maybe the Peacock Hotel and Spa.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 9:01 PM

Quote:
All construction projects over nine stories are on hold, except for maybe the Peacock Hotel and Spa.
G-Man, Is there a particular reason that is related to all of these? BTW, not even the Peacock qualifies for more than 9 stories. Wasn't it reduced to 8?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaladin View Post
G-Man, Is there a particular reason that is related to all of these? BTW, not even the Peacock qualifies for more than 9 stories. Wasn't it reduced to 8?
No, except for all them being built by local developers and sucking at it. Oh yeah, I forgot about the Peacock being reduced in height.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Hey Skyliner, great pics. And you're right, that animated flyover vid is cool. I wish Ithaca's downtown was as big as that project. Good stuff, thanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 7:26 PM

While it is a little disheartening that most of these projects have setbacks, I think if you look at the announced projects at least 3/4 of them will be built.I know that it may take a while, but Greenville is on the verge of a major economic boom.Several large companies are reported to be looking at the area and with more economic growth comes the need for more hotels/residential/retail.Just look at it this way if nothing else gets built except the Mcchesney project Greenville will concievably have 2000-4000 new residents in the city.I think that Greenville could have a major population boom in the next 10-15 years. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2007, 5:10 AM

Even the Charlotte Observer is getting in on the action involving this debate: http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/196769.html

Concidence I went to BPS earlier today? Taken with cell phone:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I swear I went to this place back when I was at Furman....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 12:25 AM

Sorry for the hold up guys. I will have a ton of news, information, and pics to post later tonight for you.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:52 AM

Acadia update from developers: http://www.acadiasc.com/galleries/0607.html Update from me-

The entrance sign is coming along nicely:

I like the street signs/lights:

Trail to Saluda River:

Future home site:

Homes:

I am happy to report that construction has started on the village/town center area:

The Pavilion under construction at the village/town center area:

McBee Station site plan: http://www.harpercorp.com/mcbeestation.php

Update photos-

That was easy:

Publix:

We have a problem. First apartment building is green stucco. The second apartment building is green stucco. That would equal uh-oh. First apartment building:

Second apartment building:

Third, fourth, and fifth apartment buildings:

Road work next to site continues:

I LOVE the condo/retail buildings next to McBee Avenue:

Peacock Hotel and Spa site:

Pinnacle on Main site:

Future site of new Palmetto Bank headquarters. Building will be demolished within the next few weeks:

Future site of possible 25-27 story residential/hotel tower:

Future site of Bookends phase II building:

New retail establishment for old Earshot location:

Future site of Main at McBee building:

Their Terrace at Riverplace update pics: http://www.terraceatriverplace.com/photos.asp

My update pics:

Future retail/restaurant establishments coming to Riverplace:

Renovation construction continues on the Carolina First Center:

Greenville Hospital System's new Greer campus under construction:

Just a few miles down Highway 14 from that and then past the airport is Spartanburg Regional's Village at Pelham campus. This is right next door to where the Bass Pro Shops development will go. Here is a pic of a new building going up there:

Now we head a mile or two south of that on Highway 14 to where Bloom recently opened a new grocery store. So, basically it goes from north to south: GHS Greer's future hospital, airport, new Bass Pro Shops development, SRH new Village at Pelham campus, then Bloom. I believe it is less than 5 miles from GHS Greer's future hospital to Bloom:

Pendleton West:

Carriage West:

New building going up at Butler Road/I-385 development:

Future site of Value Place hotel at Georgia Road Commons development:

Carolina Shops on the Mall:

The Fresh Market & Peoples National Bank:

Magnolia Park Town Center-
Site of future Sports Authority (Just beyond new pavement):

Trees starting to go in on site:

Last edited by g-man435; Jul 21, 2007 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 5:06 AM

Now for the news and information-

Magnolia Park Town Center Sports Authority rendering, site plan, etc: http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit...sAuthority.pdf

Peacock Hotel and Spa. I think i'm going to be sick: http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit...McBeeAve-A.pdf I think they should cancel the whole project and stick a Waffle House on site. Downtown could use one of those. Please to god let the DPC NOT approve this new plan. Site plan: http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit...McBeeAve-C.pdf

Proposed mixed-use development that will consist of 2,136 residential units gets green light: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...NESS/707200338

John Boyanoski-Greenville Journal
One deal, three locations
County remains mum on $2.4 billion investment

Greenville County Council passed the first reading of a development agreement regarding the $2.4 billion Project Skyline. However, this first draft contains no information on the proposed deal, and is simply a positioning matter to getting the deal done later this summer. A memo attached to the ordinance called it "caption only" due to it being an important economic development agreement.

The memo also states "this matter needs to get started and referred to the Finance Committee before August" to keep the project going. County Council members declined to discuss specifics of the deal. Council previously passed a three-part tax incentive agreement where the county would spend close to $115 million on public infrastructure improvements that would come from new revenue generated by the development.

Under the proposed deal, the companies would pay a fixed fee instead of property taxes, and the county would use 40 percent of the fee income to pay for infrastructure improvements. In return, a state corporation would invest $1.9 billion in Greenville and separate investments of $280 million and $200 million would buy a Florida corporation or corporations, according to documents provided with the council votes.

That vote allowed the county economic development arm to move forward on a deal that could include "business, office, hotel park, restaurant, commercial, and corporate headquarters," according to county documents. It is possible a national headquarters could be involved in the deal at some point.

To put the $2.4 billion investment in perspective, the entire Verdae project, which is four times the size of downtown Greenville, is expected to be $1.5 billion over the next 20 years. The massive South Financial headquarters project on Interstate 85 is $100 million. Greenville City Council has discussed this project behind closed doors several times, but has not voted or talked publicly about the project.

**New major project announced for Mauldin/Greenville area**

WYFF video on this development: http://www.wyff4.com/video/13719045/index.html

Greenville News story: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...707200351/1070

John Boyanoski-Greenville Journal
Sports complex planned for Mauldin area
It will feature Olympic-sized pool, basketball courts

Plans for a five-phase sports and entertainment complex at the intersection of Fairforest Way and Mauldin Road were announced Thursday. Construction will start in the next few months on the Nolie Johnson Jr. Sports and Entertainment Complex on 120 acres of land near the former Greenville Municipal Stadium.

The project will be a mix of sports venues, restaurants and retail. The first phase will be completed by September 2008 and will feature three regular sized basketball courts and two half courts, four tennis courts, four racquetball courts, an aquatic center with three pools, a free-weight room, a boxing area, a restaurant featuring alternatives to fast food, a 3,500-seat concert hall and 26 retail spaces.

The second phase will include a day spa for women, a movie theater, childcare, a 1,000-seat amphitheater, a video game area and 20 more retail shops. There are also plans to host a minor-league basketball team in the complex. There was no word this week of what will be built in the next three phases or an exact cost of the project.

The Rev. Garrett J. Johnson is the chief executive officer of the project. He is a South Carolina native and is an associate minister at Reedy River Missionary Baptist Association. Johnson said he hopes the project will become a focal point of the local business community. "We wish to be the facility that everyone will come to know," he said.

Last edited by g-man435; Jul 21, 2007 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 12:19 AM

Thanks G-Man for the updates. Is that Main at McBee sign a new or is it the same one that's been there for years? Also looks like the Pinnacle On Main project is moving right along, LOL.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaladin View Post
Thanks G-Man for the updates. Is that Main at McBee sign a new or is it the same one that's been there for years? Also looks like the Pinnacle On Main project is moving right along, LOL.
It's the same one that's been there for years. I think the weeds on the Pinnacle on Main site will become the tallest structure in Greenville at this rate. I would rather see weeds there though then something like this: http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit...McBeeAve-A.pdf

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:30 AM

Quote:
It's the same one that's been there for years. I think the weeds on the Pinnacle on Main site will become the tallest structure in Greenville at this rate. I would rather see weeds there though then something like this: http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit...McBeeAve-A.pdf
The Peacock has certainly lost a lot of it's original lustre!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast