HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 6:10 PM

New Frost Bank near Sea World is about ready to open.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Sep 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Adjusted image size

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 8:25 PM
James

That's a very nice building and I didn't even know about it. Thanks, Model!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:11 PM

The five-story, 158,000-square-foot development will be in the southeast corner of the Loop 1604 and Interstate 10 corridor at 13801 Ih10 West.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-a-office.html

It looks like the office park is really taking shape now.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
The five-story, 158,000-square-foot development will be in the southeast corner of the Loop 1604 and Interstate 10 corridor at 13801 Ih10 West.

I hope they bury their power lines. Those new buildings along 1604 and Vance Jackson have power lines taller then the buildings.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:07 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I hope they bury their power lines. Those new buildings along 1604 and Vance Jackson have power lines taller then the buildings.
I agree that that area's looking messy, but I like that they are mostly sticking with modern buildings for that area. If you remember, pre-recession they had big modern developments planned over there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 12:23 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

LANDMARK CENTRE RENDERINGS
32-ACRE MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT TO FEATURE RESIDENTIAL, OFFICE, RETAIL, HOTEL AND MEDICAL.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:38 PM

380-UNIT APARTMENT DEVELOPMENT BREAKS GROUND AT THE RIM

This project, The Rim Apartments, actually broke ground last month, but it wasn't posted then so I thought I'd post it now.

Residential development is on fire at The Rim with three large developments currently under construction.

Right now, the 308-unit Aura at The Rim is currently under construction and will actually be located almost directly across the street from The Rim Apartments. A little south from these two, near Top Golf, the 427-unit Villas at The Rim are under construction.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:57 PM

This project, along with The Rim Apartments, broke ground last month.

Bringing the total number of residential units currently under construction at The Rim to 1,115.

Quote:
With three pools, lighted courts and a 20,000-square-foot amenity facility, Frankel Family Trust is looking to raise San Antonio's residential bar with its latest multifamily development, this time at the Rim.

The California-based trust has broken ground on Villas at The Rim, a 427-unit Class A+ complex directly north of Top Golf in the northeast quadrant of the Loop 1604 and I-10 intersection. Using fee-developer Legacy Alliance, the complex will include a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom as well as an entry-level parking garage.

Over the next couple of years, FFT will be doing even more to change the city's multifamily market. The trust went under contract Thursday for a property in Stone Oak, which will be the site of its next residential development.

Construction for the Villas at The Rim is expected to take about 26 months, with preleasing set to begin in about a year. DeYoung said that rents have yet to be established.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
380-UNIT APARTMENT DEVELOPMENT BREAKS GROUND AT THE RIM

This project, The Rim Apartments, actually broke ground last month, but it wasn't posted then so I thought I'd post it now.

Residential development is on fire at The Rim with three large developments currently under construction.

Right now, the 308-unit Aura at The Rim is currently under construction and will actually be located almost directly across the street from The Rim Apartments. A little south from these two, near Top Golf, the 427-unit Villas at The Rim are under construction.
This is a good project. It is not quite across the street from Aura at the Rim, but rather down Talavera Ridge. After doing some research I found the property to be 5818 WORTH PKWY, which happens to be the parking garage that has sat there for years. It appears that the Parking Garage will be used and is what is seen in the middle of the development.

I really like this one...residential right in the heart of the Rim. In addition there is a 200,000 sq ft office building that will be constructed due east of this development; Offices at the Rim.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...opment-in.html

I was wondering what that development behind Top Golf was. Now I am not sure if I would have labeled it "directly north of Top Golf", but they try.

Last edited by STLtoSA; Oct 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:52 AM

Are those the only renderings of the Villas at the Rim? They seem a little bland to me.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 11:03 PM

Looks like Forest Park @ I10/1604 is struggling financially, just saw a report on Kens. Interesting how there are other similar "luxury" hospitals in Dallas and Houston but the first one to be built in San Antonio is already on the brink of closing after opening less than a year ago. Not enough $ here.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Looks like Forest Park @ I10/1604 is struggling financially, just saw a report on Kens. Interesting how there are other similar "luxury" hospitals in Dallas and Houston but the first one to be built in San Antonio is already on the brink of closing after opening less than a year ago. Not enough $ here.
Did KENS report that there wasn't enough cash here or was this determine by your investigation?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
The one in Dallas filed for bankruptcy already and the one in Houston is in the same financial position as the one in SA.

You're best off researching things before you post, so as to not look foolish.

This is a Forest Park issue, not an SA issue.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 7:42 PM

So, it seems Sea World could be making San Antonio their flagship park. This was reported in October, while this was reported two weeks later.

I'll post the first link.

Quote:
Keep in mind that these are just rumors, and that they are not guaranteed to be accurate, or even correct. Until the park officially announces it, it’s not happening, and is pure speculation.

SeaWorld San Antonio is nestled deep in the heart of Texas, and sits on a massive amount of unused land. The park is absolutely the largest park in the SeaWorld chain, and the best part is, they own every last bit of the land that it sits on. 2016 will mark the start of a new era at SeaWorld San Antonio, with the addition of Discovery Point. This is going to be an all new attraction that will take guests into the realm of dolphins, and allow you to get up close and personal with them, as you swim with the dolphins. Currently you can only do that at Discovery Cove, but it will be an all new experience at SeaWorld San Antonio.

If you’ve never been to SeaWorld San Antonio, the front entrance has kind of a weird layout. You go in through the arches, and get your ticket scanned, then you have the option of going extreme left to the dolphin and shark encounter areas, directly ahead to the Aquatica entrance, or to the right to the rest of SeaWorld San Antonio. It’s a unique set up to say the least. That will all change.

Currently, you have to have a SeaWorld San Antonio ticket to gain access to Aquatica San Antonio. That makes it a little more expensive for anyone who wants to visit the waterpark, without visiting the rest of the park. That will also change in 2016.

The way that it’s rumored to go in 2016, the iconic archway will stay where it is, and will act as a central hub for the three different parts of the SeaWorld San Anotnio Resort…bear with me here.

As reported on other sites, you will no longer need a SeaWorld San Antonio ticket to gain access to Aquatica. They will be separate gates, all together. The entry gates will allegedly be moved up for Aquatica, and the entry gates for SeaWorld San Antonio will be pushed back, past the fountains. The ticketing areas will stay the same. There will be a third gate added, and this will be for Discovery Point. It’s not known if you will need a ticket for SeaWorld San Antonio to access Discovery Point or not at this time, but if you do have a SeaWorld San Antonio ticket, you will be granted access to Discovery Point, and shark encounter. That’s a pretty big deal and change for SeaWorld in 2016. But it’s just the beginning.

According to our sources, the park will be adding several new attractions between 2017, and 2019. A few months back, SeaWorld copyrighted the name “Reef Hunter” which could play a part in the new coaster that is allegedly being planned for SeaWorld San Antonio in 2017. Then between the opening of the new coaster, and 2019 there will be several other family rides, animal attractions and shows added to the park, as the park aggressively expands. Then in 2019, the park will open (what could very well be the first) Blue World Project, with an expanded Killer Whale habitat, and new show.

Somewhere in there, it’s expected that an all new, on-site resort could possibly open. It makes perfect sense, as the park not only has the land, but is also competing with nearby Schlitterbahn which not only has onsite cabins, but a huge treehouse in which guests can just swim out of their front door. The market and interest is definitely there in San Antonio.

When will we hear about any, or all of this? We expect to hear the first bits of information on November 9th, as SeaWorld announces their third quarter results, and announces the new direction of the park. Where will Orlando and San Diego play into all of this? We’re curious about that ourselves, but we’re pretty confident that we’ll see huge things announced for most of the parks in the coming years.

Now, the information from the second link.

Quote:
SeaWorld Entertainment plans to shake off its troubles by overhauling its public image and building up its parks, including the one on the West Side, where attendance has declined in recent months.

Company executives Monday unveiled a road map to “stabilize and grow” the company by, among other things, developing resorts in San Antonio and the other two cities where it has water parks.

The road map also targets SeaWorld’s public image, which was tarnished in 2013 when the “Blackfish” documentary criticized its treatment of killer whales. The company also suffered from negative publicity during a recent legal battle in California over its ability to breed whales.

On Monday, SeaWorld said that in response to customer feedback, it is ending its theatrical orca show in San Diego next year. Instead, it will showcase the orcas in “natural settings” and displaying “natural behaviors” with a strong conservation message, executives said. There are no changes in store for orca shows in San Antonio and Orlando, Florida.

In a webcast to investors, CEO and President Joel Manby said he wants SeaWorld to be thought of as a “brand with a purpose,” such as Whole Foods Market and Tom’s Shoes, which donates a pair of shoes to a needy child for every purchase a customer makes.

“I don’t see any reason why SeaWorld can’t be one of those brands,” Manby said. “I know we aren’t there today. I know we have a ways to go.”

The company will be more aggressive in touting its animal rescue programs and will make more of an effort to educate visitors about the plight of animals such as cheetahs and sharks, Manby said.

It will turn its parks “inside out” to give visitors a look at employees taking care of animals.

Park employees soon will be known as “animal ambassadors” and will wear name tags with statements such as “I protect penguins,” executives said. They will sometimes lead holders of season passes on volunteer excursions such as rescue operations.

The Humane Society responded to SeaWorld’s announcement by criticizing the company for not ending the orca shows in San Antonio and Orlando.

“We urge SeaWorld to make its pledge more explicit and to phase out orca acts at all of its facilities, to end its breeding program and to work with us on a plan to put the orcas in suitable environments,” the nonprofit said in a news release.

During SeaWorld’s webcast announcing the changes to its San Diego orca show and its resort plan, Manby showed a map highlighting two potential resort sites on its San Antonio property.

“It’s a very proven model in the industry,” Manby said of the resort plan. “You don’t have to grow attendance to get the additional (earnings). You’re really just increasing the wallet share of guests who are already coming to your park.”

SeaWorld also intends to make capital investments such as new rides more often at its parks: once a year in Orlando and about two out of every three years in San Antonio and San Diego, Manby said. It will make an investment in San Antonio in 2017, and within the next few years it plans to build a new roller coaster concept called SeaWorld Rescue — which will simulate the rescue of animals — either here or in San Diego, where attendance also dropped recently.

“We’ll make that announcement when we’re ready,” said Manby, who came to SeaWorld in April from Herschend Enterprises, another theme park company.

Manby touted resorts as a good growth area for SeaWorld, saying consumers are willing to pay premium rates to stay in areas that are connected to amusement parks. The resorts will give the company more control over visitors’ experiences, he said.

SeaWorld already has formed a partnership with another company, the Evans Hotel Group, to build a resort in San Diego, Manby said.

One of the potential resort sites at SeaWorld San Antonio is wedged between Military Drive and Ellison Drive and covers 37 acres.

The other tract is next to the park’s parking lot and covers 17 acres.

Manby suggested that the company also would look at new land for development in San Antonio.

“It’s big there in San Antonio. It’s Texas,” Manby said with a chuckle.

There are more than a half-dozen hotels and resorts within 2 miles of SeaWorld San Antonio, including the 500-room Hyatt Regency Hill County Resort, the 227-room Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa and a 191-room Holiday Inn. Another hotel, a four-story Marriott TownePlace Suites, is about to be built nearby.

“I think it’s a positive move for SeaWorld to explore new avenues of hospitality,” said John Clamp, executive director of the San Antonio Hotel & Lodging Association. “It may be challenging though because the Hyatt Hill Country resort is there.”

In addition, SeaWorld’s ticketing strategy will be revamped, with an emphasis on long-term passes over single-day tickets.

Last week, executives said they planned to switch to an “advance purchase philosophy” with heavy marketing in the fall after rainy weather in May and June discouraged the purchase of season tickets in San Antonio.

That contributed to the park’s attendance drop in the third quarter, they said.

The company also will eliminate some of its ticket products, as research showed that consumers are overwhelmed by the number of options, executives said Monday.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:15 PM

New 7 story mid-rise for the medical center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...for-south.html

Quote:
The 72,000-square-foot facility will be constructed on a site leased from Methodist Healthcare System that is located on its South Texas Medical Center campus in Northwest San Antonio.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 9:03 AM

This land is located about 20 miles west of downtown.

Quote:
Microsoft Corp. has bought 158 acres of Texas Research Park real estate controlled by the Texas Research & Technology Foundation. TRTF officials said the company plans to develop one of the largest data centers in the country at the far West San Antonio site.

TRTF President York Duncan, who confirmed closing the deal with Microsoft, characterized the value of the transaction as “substantial."

Duncan said Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft plans to break ground in January 2016 on an eight-building data center development encompassing roughly 1.2 to 1.3 million square feet. Construction will consist of four phases stretched out over a five-year period. Work is expected to create as many as 900 construction jobs.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 8:12 PM

For what it's worth, I'm hearing that IKEA may be going in after the sale of this land. Part of a larger mixed-use development.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 10:35 AM

A bit of an update on the development I heard about. It's now official news.

Quote:
After being caught up in bankruptcy litigation for years, a 114-acre tract of land along the thriving Interstate 10 corridor finally has a new owner.

An entity backed by California developer Robert J. Schumacher closed on the property Wednesday, and now can proceed with plans to construct roughly $320 million worth of multifamily, office and retail development, according to preliminary figures.

The sales price was $20.3 million, the amount that Schumacher bid at a bankruptcy court auction in April.

“If you look at the aerial view of San Antonio, it’s the only undeveloped piece that’s left in what’s the fastest growing part of San Antonio,” Scott Sanders, an Austin-based managing partner with the venture, said Thursday.

The group has yet to complete the land’s master plan — the property still needs to be rezoned — but Sanders said there is potential on the giant piece for 800 to 1,100 residential units, 500,000 square feet of office space and 100,000 square feet of retail.

Of the 114 acres, about 85 acres will be developed, with the remaining 30 acres or so left as green space.

Sanders expects construction to take five years. He envisions a series of joint partnerships with local developers to complete the various phases.

Sanders said the land’s proximity to the Security Service Federal Credit Union’s new $120 million headquarters campus, the University of Texas at San Antonio, and other corporate and retail anchors along the booming I-10 corridor around Loop 1604 bodes well for the development.

“It isn’t UTSA in and of itself, it’s everything that’s happening at I-10 and Loop 1604,” Sanders said. “So, yeah, we love that area. How could you not?”

The property had been tied up in litigation for years, most recently involved in a lengthy bankruptcy court battle that had the previous owners — Francis “Pete” Rozelle and his mother, Clarita Sommers Johnson — filing for bankruptcy to prevent the lender, a Dallas-based Stratford Land Fund partnership, from foreclosing on the property.

In April, Schumacher won a bankruptcy court auction on the property with the $20.3 million bid, but the Chapter 11 trustee overseeing the sale said an insurer wasn’t willing to grant title insurance because of the potential cost of defending further litigation from Rozelle and Johnson.

But on Monday, Rozelle and Johnson capitulated and withdrew their appeals.

The sale also means a win for the Northside Independent School District and other public entities. On Wednesday, the Bexar County Tax Assessor’s Office collected $1.5 million in back taxes from the property, taken from the transaction.

“After years of wading through protracted bankruptcy proceedings, we are pleased to report the tax obligation has been completely satisfied,” Albert Uresti, Bexar County tax assessor-collector, said in a news release.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 8:31 PM

8 Story hotel coming to the Landmark development in NW San Antonio.

Quote:
The San Antonio-based hospitality company has plans to develop an eight-floor, 203-room hotel on the four-acre parcel, located at the southeast quadrant of the I-10 and Loop 1604 intersection on Fulcrum Development's Landmark Centre mixed-use site.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

All of the steel for this 5-story structure are in place. The described location is a little off; it is clearly on IH 10 , not at the corner of Loop 1604 and IH 10.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio