HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 1:47 AM

Call me boring, conservative, unsophisticated, whatever, I far prefer this to the slapdash look of the cantilevered design since it actually looks like a single building. I am not opposed to the idea of a cantilever; I am opposed to a building that completely changes style at such an awkward height. The ratio of the base's height beneath the cantilever to the tower height above it was just off somehow - the proportions were just not aesthetically pleasing at all.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:12 AM

At this point, I just want that damn stump finished. The effect on anyone who sees it nestled amidst the river canyon makes me shudder.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:07 AM
The Hero we deserve

Ive estimated the height of the previous rendering and im guessing this is shorter than the previous rendering and so it looks like its 650 feet. Give or take a few feet. My thoughts on the new design are : meh. Its ok but it looks a lot like the 435 north Park proposal.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:23 AM

I don't know, it looks to be about the same height as the older proposal to me but it does share samilarities with 435 N. Park and other SCB towers which is why I suspect they designed it.

It's a really nice tower but something is missing and I think it has to do with the top, I don't really care for the way it ends.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:46 AM

From the north, the skyline view of the top part of the building could be pretty cool, at least if the stripe is illuminated somehow. Not that Chicago should aim for this overall, but having one modestly-sized quasi "high-tech" or so called "futuristic" (whatever that means anyway) looking building in the skyline might be interesting.

Assuming this render is current, anyway.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 5:26 AM

For those that say it looks like 435 N Park. I feel like that is taking the Robie House and Taelsin West and say that they look the same. I can see the respective firm's philosophy bearing on the two, but they aren't the same. I actually quite like the novel shapes that have been carved out of the building with the balconies. It was a great solution to a banal problem (that of providing ugly balconies) - essentially the architects foremost goal.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 8:55 AM
BANNED

Underwhelming at best. To think what was meant to be; we end with this. Sad.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:22 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
It's certainly better than ending with what is there now.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Here I fixed it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:57 PM

I think it would look better with the top part set back on the podium like the armchair art deco building next to it. It could be a modern version of the armchair style that Chicago is know for.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
The original design wasn't very good. I mean, it was decent, but I think people were mostly excited about height. Compared with that one, I think this version is much better. Not as wonderfully shocking as the DeStefano design, to be sure, but good nevertheless.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here I fixed it.

Now that would be cooler!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
...Not as wonderfully shocking as the DeStefano design...
Why does shocking == wonderful?

It wasn't necessarily innovative. Cantilevers have been done plenty of times before. The DeStefano design took the notion of "form follows function" to an absolutely gruesome extreme and I'm glad to see it's not actually going to look like that in the end.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 6:08 PM

Why are all of these buildings lately just simple rectangles? Sure the put some different design elements into it, but it's basically just another plain, boring rectangle.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:04 AM

Not to bad. I think we will learn to live with it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here I fixed it.

It would be better it was that tall

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:05 AM
Content provider

Whatever. Just build it already

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:17 PM

Hooray! Another lifeless glass rectangle.

If it wasn't on the river, I'd be happy with it as infill. However, with that site as prominent as it is, I'd opt for a more daring approach. A respectfully polarizing design is preferable to an apathetic slab of a building in just about every case - including this one.

The previous design inspired discussion, and would have been the most talked about building in Chicago since Aqua or the Spire. It would have been a fantastic anchor on river tours and an unflinching manifestation of the real estate crash in physical form.

This new design looks like any ol' SCB Econobox® rough draft.

I can only hope One South Halsted, LVDA's DePaul project, and E+W University's building all get built soon so we can have some well-articulated and energized highrises crop up. (Any more I'm missing?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, we still have a rendering reveal for Wolf Point that should be coming up soon. Of course, I can't remember the last time Pelli did anything daring like a huge cantilever...
I heard some chatter out-of-the-blue from an architect working on the Wolf Point proposal. Sounds like there is some measurable forward movement on it...he was excited. Hopefully something is made public sooner rather than later.

I'm looking forward to the renderings, but the pessimist in me says that it will be yet another ultra-prime riverfront property spoiled by a nearly featureless glass box. Time will well.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:49 PM
BANNED

What a POS. Looks like they've decided to drop the density on it and just finish it structurally as planned and cut it off before it gets too high. Looks like complete shit. I hope the core has degraded to the point where they have to tear the whole thing down so we don't have to look at this blight on the riverfront for the next 100 years.

Seriously, this design is just shitty and cobbled together. It reminds me of the Fairbanks in Streeterville which is painfully obviously a Start/Stop/Redesign project like this.

Sorry Related, but slapping a shitty pattern of balconies on the building and aping the Optima facade doesn't make for good design. This is probably SCB and is a hackjob if I've ever seen one.

Fuck this, looks like they pussied out and decided to blow the density to avoid a cantilever.

In other news, it appears there were updated renderings of 500 N LSD in there which were far more attractive than the original design and would account for the weirdness in regards to the double height floor I noticed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:07 PM

^^^
Wow, NWM, you seem angry today. I can't say this building is that bad, though it isn't my favorite. The balconies are interesting and, though Hovey does it a lot, one cannot call glass boxes with curtain walls an aping of Optima. It is a common trope in modern architecture. I think that the balcony arrangement (while not radical) is a nice movement of this type of modernism. It is hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like (towards the top at least) the balconies don't fill the recesses all the way.

Moreover, this is a far more cohesive design than the previous one with the cantilever and looks far less like a "start/stop/start" design than that does. This looks like a building that is a bit boring, but was always designed that way. I think we would be fine with it had it not been home to so much hope.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive