HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:25 AM
Condo Projects Manager

You know what? I just found another hole in the lower left.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 9:56 PM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think we reached a consensus earlier that "construction" as far as we are concerned will begin when steel appears on the roof.
Is this still the consensus?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 3:24 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
why is this still in the proposals section? they've been doing construction on this for like a week.
They've been doing deconstruction for a week. They're taking stuff off, not putting stuff on.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 2:11 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPunter View Post
How much view will this building block from south LSD?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 5:34 PM

Hello. I'm an ironworker on this job and can give you some insight on whats happening there.
On March 24 we started three nights of demo work to prepare for the new iron in the atriums.
On April 2 we started installing iron in the two atriums that will be the new elevator shafts. That's being done at night so as not to disrupt the office operations.
On July 16 I started on the day shift and we began beefing up some of the existing iron just below the roof to support the weight of the derricks. That's why "HOLES" have been cut in the roof, (they go through the rubber, insulation and pre-cast concrete slabs) to get access to those beams that need to be strengthened and to add the pedestals that will support the derricks.
The first derrick is small enough to be brought up in pieces on the freight elevator to the low roof. It's then brought up to the high roof with a chain hoist thats by the "HOLE" at the top of the picture. We're in the process of assembling that derrick now.
This derrick will reach over the NW corner to the street and bring up a larger derrick. That one will set some of the iron that was left out in the area around the cooling units, and then it will assemble the first of two tower cranes on some of that iron.
That tower crane will then set some more iron and then the second tower crane. I heard that the iron for the additional stories won't start going up til sometime in November.
If you look in the picture from museumparktoms' post, you'll see small white squares around the perimeter and grey square boxes in the interior of the roof. Those are the covers for the original columns that are sticking up through the roof about a foot and were put there to protect them and the floors below from rain and weathering.
Hope this answers some of your questions. I hope they do set up a webcam for the job, it will be interesting. We were told there are surveillance cameras on some of the surrounding buildings but I don't know if they will ever be available on the web.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWSteve View Post
Hello. I'm an ironworker on this job and can give you some insight on whats happening there.
On March 24 we started three nights of demo work to prepare for the new iron in the atriums.
On April 2 we started installing iron in the two atriums that will be the new elevator shafts. That's being done at night so as not to disrupt the office operations.
On July 16 I started on the day shift and we began beefing up some of the existing iron just below the roof to support the weight of the derricks. That's why "HOLES" have been cut in the roof, (they go through the rubber, insulation and pre-cast concrete slabs) to get access to those beams that need to be strengthened and to add the pedestals that will support the derricks.
The first derrick is small enough to be brought up in pieces on the freight elevator to the low roof. It's then brought up to the high roof with a chain hoist thats by the "HOLE" at the top of the picture. We're in the process of assembling that derrick now.
This derrick will reach over the NW corner to the street and bring up a larger derrick. That one will set some of the iron that was left out in the area around the cooling units, and then it will assemble the first of two tower cranes on some of that iron.
That tower crane will then set some more iron and then the second tower crane. I heard that the iron for the additional stories won't start going up til sometime in November.
If you look in the picture from museumparktoms' post, you'll see small white squares around the perimeter and grey square boxes in the interior of the roof. Those are the covers for the original columns that are sticking up through the roof about a foot and were put there to protect them and the floors below from rain and weathering.
Hope this answers some of your questions. I hope they do set up a webcam for the job, it will be interesting. We were told there are surveillance cameras on some of the surrounding buildings but I don't know if they will ever be available on the web.
so would you say you guys have started 'construction' yet; should this thread be moved? or should it not be moved untill nov when the new floors begin to rise?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 5:58 PM

I would say construction started when the iron for the new elevators started going in on April 2.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 6:07 PM

Quote:
I would say construction started when the iron for the new elevators started going in on April 2.
Awesome!

And thanks for all the infomation.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 6:55 PM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. We're gluttons for raw knowledge ...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:02 PM
tilted & shifted

Thanks for the info, IWSteve. It looks like we can move this one into the u/c column.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:18 PM

My pleasure. I wish I had found this site sooner. This is my first time in a blog. Will they post a notice when it's moved to the u/c column?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:23 PM
Back in the Windy City

Actually, the notice is where you find the thread, which is now in the u/c category. So your post led to it being moved.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Thanks for the info, IWSteve. It looks like we can move this one into the u/c column.
We'll see.

It might just be considered building prep.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:40 PM
Back in the Windy City

This is being treated like any other project when in fact, it's fundamentally different.

With your typical building, site prep only means so much, because the project could still easily fall through and something could be built.

But with this, prep work takes on a different meaning because it's so much more of a commitment than your average project. They're not going to build a parking garage or a park up there.

I think it's foolish consistency to label this as anything other than "under construction."

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled View Post
This is being treated like any other project when in fact, it's fundamentally different.

With your typical building, site prep only means so much, because the project could still easily fall through and something could be built.

But with this, prep work takes on a different meaning because it's so much more of a commitment than your average project. They're not going to build a parking garage or a park up there.

I think it's foolish consistency to label this as anything other than "under construction."
It might be considered under-construction here, but I wonder if the people at Emporis are willing to change the status?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 9:29 PM

Who is Emporis?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 9:41 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Who is Emporis?
http://www.skyscrapers.com

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 9:53 PM
Registered

IWSteve, glad to have you with us!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
IWSteve, glad to have you with us!
Thanks. I'll keep you updated from time to time.
This will be different from any other job I've worked on mainly because of the extra precautions. For instance, we're not allowed to leave the cutting torch carts (oxygen/acetylene tanks) anywhere on the building at the end of the shift and we won't be using propane heating torches to pre-heat the columns before welding. This is to lessen the chance of a fire or explosion that could panic the office workers below.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Who is Emporis?
www.emporis.com

It's worldwilde skyscraper database. You can look up statistics on mist highrises around the world on Emporis.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive