HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 3:45 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I thought mugging was considered armed or aggrevated robbery, not petty theft. Petty theft would be pickpocketing or burglary of something of minor value without interacting with the resident. Anything including violence generally turns it into a felony, which is hardly petty.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:08 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Interesting, I've never perceived that intersection as unsafe. It gets a bit sketchier a few blocks west but I've never felt unsafe even late at night at Chicago and State.

On an unrelated note, I filed a graffiti removal request this morning for the first time (warning, racist language and symbolism): http://servicetracker.cityofchicago....ests/18-031060 Maybe some of Arthur Jones supporters are mad he lost? (Surprising he got 26% of the vote though. Seriously, what the fuck?). I guess racists are too stupid to get the parity of their symbolism right...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I lived at Loyola's downtown campus for a year and can say there was never any serious crime there. It's probably a bit of a hotspot for ultra petty crimes, but it was usually someone getting caught trying to make a dash for the subway after snatching a purse or a smartphone usually over on Michigan and Chicago or a scuffle between a couple of drunk people. If anything it's the wealth on Michigan Ave attracting theives (or the giant groups of maurauding "Urban youths" that occasionally ransack corners of downtown) who then enter or exit the area through the nearest train stop. It's probably no different than the crime pattern you'd see at Grand. But yeah, there's no "criminal threat" posed by the panhandlers or McDonald's crowd you see loitering in the area. Welcome to the big city guys, sometimes there's "weird" people hanging out by the train...
You consider someone snatching a purse or phone (ie. Robbery) to be a "petty crime"?!

The intersection isn't bad, but there is definitely crime that happens there - My wife's sister had her purse ripped from her by a couple of teens a couple years ago, and my wife also witnessed a stabbing in front of the McDonald's in like 2015.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:57 PM

Having your purse or phone snatched isn't "violence" is that really considered a mugging?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
so suburban^

Oh please, I grew up in Manhattan (Washington Heights) - If you want to be some poser who sympathizes with Criminals, be my guest. Have fun living in the jungle.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
If you want to be some poser who sympathizes with Criminals, be my guest. Have fun living in the jungle.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:27 AM

Ski Steve, I'd like to shred with ya and talk buildings, where's your home mountain?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
love a dog whistle

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Ski Steve, I'd like to shred with ya and talk buildings, where's your home mountain?
I'm from Utah originally. Haven't skied here yet- open to suggestions!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 1:59 PM
BANNED

^Wilmot Mountain (Hill) is your nearest option and the best option we flat-landers have! Nice photo by the way.

This tower appears thin and soars like 432 Park Ave, but 10x more aesthetically appealing. Well done Mrs Gang!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:56 PM

No, the best skiing option is the American non-stop flight to Vail/Eagle (if they still do that).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:00 PM

Haha yeah, I'm not proposing we go to Wilmot (though I do keep a pair of rock skis around now that Vail owns them and my pass is good there in case we ever get dumped on and I feel like a few turns).

Steve, what's your fav mountain in Utah? I'd love to get out to Canyons/Park City now that they've merged it.

And yeah, 10023 is correct that the best ski hill in the Midwest is Vail, just a long ways off. And yes they do still have the American non-stop to Eagle-Vail, always fun to board on the tarmac like the old days. I almost always drive though because I'm not in a hurry and it sucks trying to deal with rental cars etc in the mountains.

Who's all up for a flatlander SSP meetup in Vail then?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steve View Post
I'm from Utah originally. Haven't skied here yet- open to suggestions!

hey there ski steve -- you can take an easy trip to cleveland to ski. its true lol! yes its flat there too, but the difference is we have big valleys. the cuyahoga valley national park is very beautiful in the winter and the skiing is great -- that's where i learned. it would certainly be a different sort of skiing experience for you!

https://www.bmbw.com/

bonus is the amazing metroparks chalet toboggan chutes -- it's a lot of winter fun too:

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...es/tobogganing

and yes what an amazing photo!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the best skiing within a 5 hour drive of chicago is rib mountain/granite peak up in Wausau, WI.

by no means is it remotely close to anything out west on real mountains, but with a total vertical drop of 700', it's definitely a giant step above the wilmots and alpine valleys of SE wisconsin.

the UP has some decent skiing as well. i've been to blackjack, indianhead, and big powderhorn and they're all pretty good and definitely better than anything in SE wisconsin too, but they're more in the 7 hour driving range, which gets AWFULLY long for a weekend ski trip.

mt. bohemia up at the tip of the keweenaw pennisula, with a 900' vertical, is famous for its back-country gladed runs through the trees and its 300 annual inches of lake superior snow, but i've never been there.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:27 PM

^^^ Powderhorn is great, Steely you should check out Brule with the family when they are all old enough, it's super family friendly. They have all sorts of warming huts and evening sleigh rides you can do to get the kids more into the idea of freezing your ass off and enjoying the outdoors in winter. Then, once you've tricked them into the idea of skiing, you take them to the Porcupine Mountains and subject them to -10 degree straightline winds off Lake Superior while riding the lift like my parents used to.

I'm also a big fan of White Cap which is one of the larger resorts by number of runs and terrain.

I'm hoping to get up to Bohemia this winter myself, I've never been, but supposedly it is some of the most advanced terrain between the Rockies and New England. Lot's of glade skiing with cliffs and bumps and like you said 300"+ a year of Lake Superior snow machine.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Haha yeah, I'm not proposing we go to Wilmot (though I do keep a pair of rock skis around now that Vail owns them and my pass is good there in case we ever get dumped on and I feel like a few turns).

Steve, what's your fav mountain in Utah? I'd love to get out to Canyons/Park City now that they've merged it.

And yeah, 10023 is correct that the best ski hill in the Midwest is Vail, just a long ways off. And yes they do still have the American non-stop to Eagle-Vail, always fun to board on the tarmac like the old days. I almost always drive though because I'm not in a hurry and it sucks trying to deal with rental cars etc in the mountains.

Who's all up for a flatlander SSP meetup in Vail then?
Always a fan of Snowbird and Alta!

I need to get up to WI this winter if we have enough snow and try some out. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:31 PM
The City

In other theatre news...

Just out today: The Oriental Theatre will undergo a name change, and will now be called the Nederlander.

I'm also reading that there will be a new marquee!

WTF, how can they get rid of something historic like that?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...114-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:41 PM
1st Ward

Will the new marquee be in the same style as the old? I wouldn't want something new and modern there, like a giant LED board. It would clash with the historic aesthetic of the theatre.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:00 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Just out today: The Oriental Theatre will undergo a name change, and will now be called the Nederlander.

I'm also reading that there will be a new marquee!

WTF, how can they get rid of something historic like that?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...114-story.html
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I walked past, dreading the day that PC would come knocking on the door of the Oriental Theatre. Didn't realize it would be so soon. Ugh. I can't even find any complaints about the name on the internet, which is astounding. The owners are apparently just being proactive.

The sign is a painstaking replica of the original sign from the 1920s, which was long-gone by the time theatre boosters brought the place back in the 1990s.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:17 AM
Show me the blueprints

Oriental Theater

One of the weirdest, most unnecessary things I've seen in a while. "Oriental" offensive? Yes, if you're talking about people. But it's a theater in the style of the East, known in antiquity and well up til maybe 80 years ago as the Orient. What the hell is offensive about that? "Oriental rug"? --- "How dare you sir, that is an Asia Minor rug goddammit!"

This whole thing is so stupid. Watch the city come back and tell them that their new sign can't be as big as the old one, like what happens when they rebuild a McDonalds...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest