HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Wood structural systems that are made of wood (engineered or otherwise) that is thick enough provide more strength than steel in a fire situation.
The two McMansions that burned down last summer in Russell Lake went up like a pile of kindling and used lots of engineered lumber. I presume the glues are highly flammable.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The two McMansions that burned down last summer in Russell Lake went up like a pile of kindling and used lots of engineered lumber. I presume the glues are highly flammable.
Some glues may be - not sure what kind of engineered lumber was used.

Really great quote in the following Chronicle Herald opinion piece... "...politicians and bureaucrats are not qualified to design our buildings. They are, however, essential in creating the policies to encourage non-prescriptive green development."

One problem I see with non-prescriptive green development is that it means that "green" is not defined, so it's hard to say if it's been achieved or not.

I don't know that wood first is the right thing to do, but I would say that wood has been under-utilized for a long time.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion...h-green-future

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:31 PM

Stone. New buildings should be built from stone.

Won't catch fire, looks good and lasts forever (look at most of the oldest surviving buildings around here - yep, stone).

It's taken from the ground (so it's green) and doesn't deplete oxygen generation like cutting down trees does.

Dig down a foot or two anywhere in Nova Scotia and what do you hit? Stone.

We could generate jobs in places like Wallace by reopening old stone quarries - the benefits abound.

We should have a stone first policy in place.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Stone. New buildings should be built from stone.

Won't catch fire, looks good and lasts forever (look at most of the oldest surviving buildings around here - yep, stone).

It's taken from the ground (so it's green) and doesn't deplete oxygen generation like cutting down trees does.

Dig down a foot or two anywhere in Nova Scotia and what do you hit? Stone.

We could generate jobs in places like Wallace by reopening old stone quarries - the benefits abound.

We should have a stone first policy in place.

I like the cut of your jib.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 1:11 PM

I think wood is definitely an option that could be explored but certainly not mandated. If we can establish guidelines that would permit the exploration of wood for large structures we can at least see if it is feasible in our climate. Also the national building code regulations for wood being used no more than 4 stories is likely based on stick framing which is certainly not a viable construction option for a multi-story complex. In my experience I have seen more concrete and steel structures in worse states of disrepair than wood with crumbling concrete threatening vehicles and pedestrians below not to mention the unappealing aesthetics. Wood is not the only option but it should at least be considered. Stone would be a great material to explore as well except for the huge labour costs for construction (maybe slip-forming on a larger scale?).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:24 AM

I'm glad to see this going away.

Quote:
Halifax city staff change minds on wood-first policy after opposition

February 6, 2013 - 8:44pm BY LAURA FRASER CITY HALL REPORTER

Halifax city staff have reversed their endorsement for a municipal wood-first building policy after lumber and concrete lobbyists clashed over the proposal.

The new report, which goes before the environment and sustainability committee Thursday, recommends the politicians take no position on what materials are best used to repair old government buildings or to construct new ones.

But in December, staff recommended Halifax Regional Municipality “give wood first consideration, subject to financial and performance feasibility” for municipal buildings, following a request from the Atlantic WoodWorks project, which is supported by the Maritime Lumber Bureau and receives funding from Ottawa and the province.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/6...ter-opposition

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:25 AM

Dodged a bullet there.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Dodged a bullet there.
Now would be prime time to slip in a stone first policy, while they're not lookin'...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:02 PM
we built this city

Stone all the way!

These hippies don't understand long term sustainability... they just follow trends.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues