HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 8:43 PM
THAT Guy

Various recladding projects

The Realtor Building always seems to have something going on

Sur La Table on Walton is now Sprinkles cupcakes

And our very own Bond museum, sort of.
Ugly old Fletcher Jones Audi -> shiny new

(Google maps streetview)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 9:37 PM

^ Well that's an uplifting series of shots spyguy, seeing investment into aesthetics during this deep recession. (Even though I'm not a huge fan of the Realtor ones.) I hope the Audi cladding isn't susceptible to debris getting stuck in it, or animal nests, etc.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 9:38 PM
Proud Leftist

That looks badass! I'm not a car foamer or car lover by any means, but you have to admit some of the newer trends in dealership designs are quit sharp and they seem to really understand the connection between their brands' styling and their showrooms'.

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:30 AM

Whoa...

Food for thought as we ponder future projects. Does this mean anything for the future viability of the Chicago Spire site underground garage?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...072410.article

1500 evacuated from flooded S. Loop building
July 24, 2010

About 1500 residents of a South Loop building were evacuated from their homes Saturday after eight to 10 feet of water flooded 100 cars in the building’s underground parking garage, prompting a Hazmat response.

The Chicago River had overflowed into the garage at 800 S. Wells St., police News Affairs Officer Darryl Baety said.

River City, home to upscale condominiums, is located at that address, according to the building’s website.

Diesel fumes and gasoline from the more than 100 cars in the garage mixed in the floodwater with chlorine from a Bally’s sports club pool in the building, prompting emergency officials to respond about 10:46 a.m. and declare a Level I Hazmat situation, Baety said.

As of 7:50 p.m., crews from ComEd and the Fire Department are conducting a floor-by-floor, room-by-room search of the 17-story building but no injuries have been reported, Fire Media Affairs spokesman Richard Rosado said.

. . .

The building’s 1500 residents may not be able to return for 12 or more hours, as it may take crews at least that long to pump the water out, Baety said. Police assisted in the evacuation and with traffic control.

. . .

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:36 AM

The new Target in Uptown opened today. Blair Kamin wrote about the new building earlier in the week. Posted below is a portion of the article. Click the link for the full article.

A better big-box: New Target at Wilson Yard hits the mark, but rest of city project disappoints

Quote:
With Walmart likely to build more stores in Chicago, a big design issue looms: How to tame the suburban big-box monster? A sprawling big-box store provides jobs and low-priced goods, but its vast parking lots and blank walls can dull the vitality of a city neighborhood. What works along a suburban highway can be death to an urban street.

A better way was evident Tuesday at the dedication of Wilson Yard, a $151 million North Side retail and apartment complex built on land once occupied by a Chicago Transit Authority rail yard and bus barn. While the project as a whole is a mixed blessing, with two dreary apartment buildings and an anti-urban Aldi grocery store, its new Target store does a decent job of walking the city walk.

Designed by FitzGerald Associates Architects of Chicago and championed by Mayor Richard Daley and 46th Ward Ald. Helen Shiller, Wilson Yard rises just east of the CTA elevated tracks in Uptown, a neighborhood with a politically volatile mix of the urban gentry and the desperately poor. In Uptown, drug addiction clinics promising “same day dosing” sit just blocks west of an elegant veneer of lakefront high-rises. Welcome to big-box retailing’s new frontier.

This frontier, it should be noted, is a place of robust architectural character. Within steps of Wilson Yard is a cornucopia of design riches, from Gothic Revival high-rises to Stanley Tigerman’s postmodern Pensacola Place Apartments, where stacked balconies and curving windows wittily suggest Ionic columns. Throw in the occasional African grocery store and you know you’re not in Kenilworth anymore.

But a torturous, decade-long approval process made it hard for Wilson Yard to hold up its end of this conversation. Opponents filed a lawsuit, since dismissed, that accused city officials of misdirecting more than $50 million in tax-increment financing funds for blighted areas to a site with intrinsic real estate value. The design went through 50 versions, developer Peter Holsten acknowledged at Tuesday’s ceremonies. And the one that emerged suffered cost-cutting forced by the escalating prices of the boom years.

The design’s broad outlines, at least, merit praise.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 8:23 AM
North Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Whoa...

Food for thought as we ponder future projects. Does this mean anything for the future viability of the Chicago Spire site underground garage?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...072410.article

1500 evacuated from flooded S. Loop building
July 24, 2010

About 1500 residents of a South Loop building were evacuated from their homes Saturday after eight to 10 feet of water flooded 100 cars in the building’s underground parking garage, prompting a Hazmat response.

The Chicago River had overflowed into the garage at 800 S. Wells St., police News Affairs Officer Darryl Baety said.

River City, home to upscale condominiums, is located at that address, according to the building’s website.

Diesel fumes and gasoline from the more than 100 cars in the garage mixed in the floodwater with chlorine from a Bally’s sports club pool in the building, prompting emergency officials to respond about 10:46 a.m. and declare a Level I Hazmat situation, Baety said.

As of 7:50 p.m., crews from ComEd and the Fire Department are conducting a floor-by-floor, room-by-room search of the 17-story building but no injuries have been reported, Fire Media Affairs spokesman Richard Rosado said.

. . .

The building’s 1500 residents may not be able to return for 12 or more hours, as it may take crews at least that long to pump the water out, Baety said. Police assisted in the evacuation and with traffic control.

. . .

Noticed the river going in reverse weekend. Tons of disgusting sewage and trash floated by downtown heading towards the lake. The river water level rose substantially and went from that nice marine green to putrid brown

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:33 PM

^ TARP's McCook resevoir can't come online soon enough, particularly after what the west suburbs and southwest side went through after this storm.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
^ TARP's McCook reservoir can't come online soon enough, particularly after what the west suburbs and southwest side went through after this storm.
Oak Park and Berwyn had lots of flooded basements - I had everything up on 4" pallets - got 8". Not sure that the reservoir would help in this case - water backs up into our basements from the connections to the storm drains, which I think were overloaded on a local level. At least this time the kids are big enough to do the hauling of all the sodden crap that should have been tossed years ago ;-)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
At least this time the kids are big enough to do the hauling of all the sodden crap that should have been tossed years ago ;-)
Harry:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Oak Park and Berwyn had lots of flooded basements - I had everything up on 4" pallets - got 8". Not sure that the reservoir would help in this case - water backs up into our basements from the connections to the storm drains, which I think were overloaded on a local level. At least this time the kids are big enough to do the hauling of all the sodden crap that should have been tossed years ago ;-)
I was thinking more of (a) the streets that turned into rivers in Westchester, Brighton Park, etc. rather than the flooded basements that occurred to varying degrees all over the metro and to a lesser extent (b) the need to open the locks to let runoff from the Chicago River and the CSS Canal flow into the lake, but yeah, the local systems would be susceptible to the intense short-term overload --- I think I read Oak Park had the highest rainfall reading in the area, right?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Not sure if/where to put it, but thought forumers might be interested. At long last, CDOT/IDOT are kicking off total reconstruction of LaSalle Drive from Clark to Lakeshore/North Ave Beach. It's only noteworthy because it's a high visibility high volume road that's currently in atrocious driving condition, is confusing and dangerous to the many pedestrians headed to the beach, and aesthetically quite ugly. The project will result in a bit more green space, shorter pedestrian crossing distances... and, of course, Daley's trademark median planters and ornamental light poles.
Update, here's a high-res vector drawing of the changes, for those who have wonky curiosity: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...mprovement.pdf

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 6:08 PM
Proud Leftist

^I notice the plans say August 2003. What has taken so long to get this project started?

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 7:08 PM

The usual: IDOT has been very short/late on project funding since the expiration of the Illinois FIRST program six years ago. This one is only getting going now because of ARRA funds and the Illinois matching funds now available due to the state capital bonds issue a few months ago.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 8:27 PM
Urbane observer

Viva, do you hear anything about Congress Parkway streetscaping, which was supposed to have started this summer?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
THAT Guy

Good news for State St and the Loop (& Freed)

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=33714

Manhattan's City Winery eyes space at former Carson's building on State Street
By: Eddie Baeb July 26, 2010

...City Winery is in advanced talks to lease about 23,000 square feet on the first floor and lower level for a winemaking operation — where people can help make their own private-label wine — along with a 300-person concert space and a restaurant and bar that could seat another 200 or so.

Meanwhile, sources say, Target recently approved a move into the landmark Louis Sullivan-designed building at 1 S. State St. and is in final negotiations for a full-line store of 100,000 square feet or more.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 10:18 PM

Well that's good news. It's in a part of town that currently many people who live in the city don't really go to, more of a tourist destination, but I think it will work well.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:13 AM
North Center

Damn, I just realized this is about a block from my apartment. Had no clue they had changed the front and this placed opened. Shows how much I shop in my neighborhood.....which is like never.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:14 AM
Proud Leftist

Since we're on the topic of the Sullivan Center, and that sorta means we're on the topic of Carson's, does anyone think Carson Pirie Scott will reopen a downtown flagship in the future?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:14 AM
Urbane observer

^No. For a while I expected them to take a Kohl's-type space somewhere on the North Side and maybe at Roosevelt Collection, but now I have my doubts. They will probably just slowly circle the drain like other department stores.

Incidentally, Carson's still has a downtown location: Gateway Center. I presume it survives on the sale of emergency replacement pantyhose.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 2:02 PM
dream fast

7-27

Ogden Elementary School

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development