HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
The scale of the Summer games is almost unfathomable.

1.8 million tickets available for 2010.

8.7 million tickets available for 2012.

Can you imagine it being 5x bigger? You think Robson St. is busy *now*!
Well that's London...as one of the world's largest cities, they have the population to build larger venues beyond IOC requirements/standards.

Athens 2004 had 5.3-million tickets.

Quote:
Can you imagine it being 5x bigger? You think Robson St. is busy *now*! We'd have to replace the Canada Line with a real train.
"THREE CAR TRAINS ONLY....COME BACK IN 5 HOURS!!!"

We'd need to expand the Canada Line to 6-car train minimum with a train arriving every 2-minutes min....giving it a max. capacity of something like 30,000 pphpd.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:33 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Well that's London...as one of the world's largest cities, they have the population to build larger venues beyond IOC requirements/standards.

Athens 2004 had 5.3-million tickets.

"THREE CAR TRAINS ONLY....COME BACK IN 5 HOURS!!!"

We'd need to expand the Canada Line to 5-car train minimum with a train arriving every 2-minutes min.
Well, by that time, hopefully we will have more Skytrain lines that will help reduce our traffic congestion. Plus, if they spread out the venues across all of lower mainland, then all the partying won't be concentrated in downtown like they are now. They will need to setup party centres at Burnaby, Richmond, Vancouver, Surrey, Langley... etc. That should help with people not having to travel all the way to downtown to party. That's why downtown is crazy now, because everybody thinks downtown is the party area. O-Zone at Richmond has been very popular too though, which is why Canada Line is totally overloaded

Quote:
1) We actually do have enough in Canada. World Cup's require 8 stadiums with at least 40,000 seats each, and I believe the "main stadium" needs to be 60,000. We have many stadiums that do fit this requirement, but they may need to be expanded (10,000+ more seats) plus they need to be brought to world-class standards. It's not that difficult of a task.

2) They are saying that 2018 is North America's turn to host the World Cup as FIFA chooses the host nation by geographical rotaion....you never know. But it certainly won't be 2050....
1) Ok good to hear then !

2) Sure it might be NA's turn to win, but it seems like it's only the US that's bidding. I don't see Canada anywhere in that Wiki page.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Well, by that time, hopefully we will have more Skytrain lines that will help reduce our traffic congestion. Plus, if they spread out the venues across all of lower mainland, then all the partying won't be concentrated in downtown like they are now. They will need to setup party centres at Burnaby, Richmond, Vancouver, Surrey, Langley... etc.
Do remember as well that there will also most likely be venues in Victoria, Kelowna, Calgary...and while I can't imagine any venues being in Surrey City Centre today, there will certainly be some venues when Whalley becomes more developed as a urban core in the decades to come.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:37 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

....ooops...you can just go ahead and delete this post eh?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:40 AM

Quote:
1) Ok then !

2) Sure it might be NA's turn to win, but it seems like it's only the US that's bidding. I don't see Canada anywhere in that Wiki page.
Well, off the top of my head (and there are more but the others need a lot of work):

1) BC Place Stadium - perfect with renovations, seats 60,000

2) Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton seats 60,000

3) Olympic Stadium in Montreal, seats 65,000

4) Rogers SkyDome, seats 54,000

5) the new Pan American Stadium, seats 30,000 when the Ti-Cats move in....10,000 more seats needed though

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:41 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
1) We don't even have enough stadiums to host the World Cup, so yeah, it's not going to happen until maybe 2050+

2) Yeah I've heard of that too, so I don't have any hopes we will win any joint World Cup bid. Either way, I go back to my first point about Canada's lack of stadiums. So yeah, not happening for MANY years.
Canada successfully hosted the FIFA U20 World Cup in 2007. If more money was actually spent promoting the idea of hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup, there's no reason we couldn't pull it off.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:43 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Well, off the top of my head (and there are more but the others need a lot of work):

1) BC Place Stadium - perfect with renovations, seats 60,000

2) Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton seats 60,000

3) Olympic Stadium in Montreal, seats 65,000

4) Rogers SkyDome, seats 54,000

5) the new Pan American Stadium, seats 30,000 when the Ti-Cats move in....10,000 more seats needed though
McMahon Stadium seats 60,000 with expanded temporary seating for events such as the Grey Cup.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:46 AM

If McMahon makes it to 2028 I'd be shocked The thing is decrepit, and barely suitable for the CFL *now*.

Calgary needs to build a replacement Football stadium / Hockey arena, conveniently together

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Canada successfully hosted the FIFA U20 World Cup in 2007. If more money was actually spent promoting the idea of hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup, there's no reason we couldn't pull it off.
Definitely. When we hosted the U20, I remember a high level FIFA official saying that Canada was given the event to test the nation's waters for hosting the FIFA World Cup.

If there's something we need to do in order to win the rights to host the World Cup, it's to spend some money to properly train our football players so that they actually make it to the competition!!!!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:49 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
If McMahon makes it to 2028 I'd be shocked The thing is decrepit, and barely suitable for the CFL *now*.

Calgary needs to build a replacement Football stadium / Hockey arena, conveniently together
Well, I won't disagree with you there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:52 AM

While it would be nice to host the Summer Olympics. I just don't think logistically it would be good.

To me the problem isn't about housing the athletes or the media. As we can always build something to house them. But it is more what happens after the fact with these buildings.

I just feel the summer olympics have become so big that to host it you need to build beyond what any city really needs. So leading to a lot of wasted space after the fact.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:55 AM

I wonder what became of the rather uniform row housing they built in Beijing. For that matter, what do most of those cities do with the massive Athletes / Media village ?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:57 AM

Why not do what already successfully worked? Get a developer to build another athletes village, just 5 times bigger? I don't think there would be a lack of demand for more condo's in 2028, especially considering the number of condo's in Vancouver will increase by at least the same amount over the next 2 decades as they have over the past 2.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:01 AM

I think we would have issues selling an athletes village that houses 18,000 people today, perhaps not in the future, but I don't think building the sports venues will be a problem if we keep it to the basics by building only what we need and building temporary structures/venues whenever we can and using what we already have to the fullest extent instead of going the Athens route of going new and permanent for everything.

A new media centre could be used for post-secondary...afterall, don't a lot of us want to see a city university near Downtown?

Oh...and with regards to accommodations, the IOC today requires host regions to have a MINIMUM of 42,000 hotel rooms. We have 22,000 in the Vancouver region...in comparison, the IOC requirement for the Winter Games is 23,000 rooms.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:01 AM

I think to be fair, Toronto deserves to host the next time the Olympics come to Canada, and I'm talking about the Summer Olympics.

The Olympics are getting bigger and bigger, so even I doubt Lake Placid could ever hold a successful Olympics. It's a tiny town, in the mountains, but their mountains there don't even come to the height of Grouse & Seymour, and it's just so small.

Most bids now, and all serious ones revolve around fairly major cities. Summer games especially.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:02 AM

Quote:
I wonder what became of the rather uniform row housing they built in Beijing. For that matter, what do most of those cities do with the massive Athletes / Media village ?
Market housing...all of it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Why not do what already successfully worked? Get a developer to build another athletes village, just 5 times bigger? I don't think there would be a lack of demand for more condo's in 2028, especially considering the number of condo's in Vancouver will increase by at least the same amount over the next 2 decades as they have over the past 2.
That would work and would be the only way to go. As we did with this Athletes Village and selling it off as condos.

The problem is by then there would really be no area in the City of Vancouver to build such a thing. Which means it would have to be somewhere out in Surrey or some place like that. Bringing in the logistics of transportation.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:03 AM

The 1988 Media Village in Calgary was just recently renovated and sold off, this past year, after being rentals.

The Athletes Village is now ratty, falling apart, student housing at Mt. Royal College (University now?).

All of this seems like such a pipe dream. For now, I just really want to go to London 2012. I don't want the Olympics to end!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:06 AM

If something happens to Hong Kong and a million people move here overnight, we'd be capable of hosting the Summer Games!

Do remember that with more than one host region (Victoria, Kelowna, and Calgary) there would be more than one Olympic Village....though if there are only a few venues in say Calgary and Kelowna, booking hotels for athletes will do.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:18 AM

you guys talk like the world will exist after dec 21 2012

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]