HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:16 PM

Calgary - airport to downtown?

Hey all,

How long does it take to get from the airport to downtown (5th Ave and 5th Ave SW) during morning rush hour?

Thanks.
dlchow

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:25 PM

I am assuming you're in town for a meeting, in which case you don't want to be late! I'd allow 45mins - 1 hour, just in case...

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:26 PM

about 45 min.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:56 PM
Change is good

Not to purposely thread jack, but gee thats about the same amount of time it would take from the EIA (sorry, Leduc International, as per our long lost friend walli) to downtown Edmonton.

hrrmmmm and uhmmmmm and lots of chin scratching... ( I think I miss the stupidness of walli's posts)

PLEASE CARRY ON WITH YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD

/end thread jack

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 6:31 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Not to purposely thread jack, but gee thats about the same amount of time it would take from the EIA (sorry, Leduc International, as per our long lost friend walli) to downtown Edmonton.

hrrmmmm and uhmmmmm and lots of chin scratching... ( I think I miss the stupidness of walli's posts)

PLEASE CARRY ON WITH YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD

/end thread jack
Is it a federal offence to hijack a thread regarding airports and thus airplanes?

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 6:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
During rush hour? Because that implies there is no point in the far south of the city that's even 45 minutes away from downtown during rush hour. I forget the driving time from EIA to the city limits but it's at least a few minutes. So adding it all up you're claiming a < 40 minute drive from the extreme outskirts of the city to downtown during rush hour. Not many cities of a million people can claim that.

Besides, YYC to downtown is a 20-30 minute drive even during rush hour, unless there are accidents. The 45 mins is more of a "just in case" time.

Good joke, anyway. You got a laugh out of me (I miss walli too).

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:19 AM

i would definatley say 20-30 minutes tops.... unless theres an accident or something on the deerfoot... i live in the beltline and it's never taken us more than that... even leaving during rush hour...

i made it there once in just under 15 minutes... of course is was 1am but still....

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:01 AM

Book a Town Car.

I personally recommend Ambassador Limousine or Allied Limousine. They both have booths in the arrivals terminal. Otherwise you can book them in advance. Which is what I would recommend. There'll be a slightly scary looking dude with a black suit holding a sign with your name on it. It's pretty cool. And not even remotely as expensive as you'd think.

The price difference between a hired car and a cab, to downtown, is nominal, but the comfort difference is astronomical. Free bottled water, brand-new magazines, well-maintained leather, tinted windows, an absurd amount of footroom.

Plus. Limo drivers know how to fucking drive. You won't feel a single bump, lurch or deceleration, ever.

For $15 more than the cost of a cab. I've talked to guys who live in the deep south who say it actually winds up being cheaper than a cab.

I'll never go back to cabs. Fuck that noise.

Last edited by dubiousmike; May 17, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 11:10 PM

I travelled by cab every monday during rush-hour from Shawnessy to YYC...on average, it took 35 minutes. There was about 4-5 times (in 3.5 years) that it took more...the longest was 50 minutes.

45 minutes from the airport to downtown should be plenty.

In the case of Edm, doesn't it take 45 minutes just to get from the airport to the edge of Edm? ;-)

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:44 AM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Book a Town Car.

I personally recommend Ambassador Limousine or Allied Limousine. They both have booths in the arrivals terminal. Otherwise you can book them in advance. Which is what I would recommend. There'll be a slightly scary looking dude with a black suit holding a sign with your name on it. It's pretty cool. And not even remotely as expensive as you'd think.

The price difference between a hired car and a cab, to downtown, is nominal, but the comfort difference is astronomical. Free bottled water, brand-new magazines, well-maintained leather, tinted windows, an absurd amount of footroom.

Plus. Limo drivers know how to fucking drive. You won't feel a single bump, lurch or deceleration, ever.

For $15 more than the cost of a cab. I've talked to guys who live in the deep south who say it actually winds up being cheaper than a cab.

I'll never go back to cabs. Fuck that noise.
I concur. I live in Mackenzie Towne and the cost difference between a limousine and cab was about $5 on my last trip. Of course, the limousine was far more comfortable, had magazines, as you mentioned, and most importantly, the air conditioning worked. Whenever I fly into Vancouver and have to be downtown I try and take a limousine as well. Fixed cost, extra comfort and professional driving. Although I do feel a bit guilty about the effect such a large car has on the environment.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
I concur. I live in Mackenzie Towne and the cost difference between a limousine and cab was about $5 on my last trip. Of course, the limousine was far more comfortable, had magazines, as you mentioned, and most importantly, the air conditioning worked. Whenever I fly into Vancouver and have to be downtown I try and take a limousine as well. Fixed cost, extra comfort and professional driving. Although I do feel a bit guilty about the effect such a large car has on the environment.
That's why I do my part and rent a Hummer whenever I visit Vancouver. Plus, with the narrow lanes they have in that city, I get to pretty much take up two!

Seriously though, I wonder what would happen if someone ever drove a Hummer out to Van. I'm imagining locals blockading your car and dragging you out of it, smothering you with carbon credit coupons.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation