HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

The reconstruction of the MacNab Terminal will start July 2009 and be completed by July 2010.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Upon completion of the MacNab Transit Terminal, involves relocating the nine routes currently using the south leg of King Street between John Street and James Street to the new MacNab Transit Terminal located on MacNab Street between King Street and Main Street.

This change affects the following routes:

• 21 Upper Kenilworth
• 22 Upper Ottawa
• 23 Upper Gage
• 24 Upper Sherman
• 25 Upper Wentworth
• 26 Upper Wellington
• 27 Upper James
• 33 Sanatorium
• 35 College

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Upon completion of the MacNab Transit Terminal, involves relocating the nine routes currently using the south leg of King Street between John Street and James Street to the new MacNab Transit Terminal located on MacNab Street between King Street and Main Street.

• 21 Upper Kenilworth
• 22 Upper Ottawa
• 23 Upper Gage
• 24 Upper Sherman
• 25 Upper Wentworth
• 26 Upper Wellington
• 27 Upper James
• 33 Sanatorium
• 35 College
Damn they're going ahead with it now, that's awesome. When they renovate Gore Park I hope they include more green space than there currently is.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:41 PM

Gore Park with an LRT stop, if we're lucky. LRT can coexist with green space.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

• 21 Upper Kenilworth
• 22 Upper Ottawa
• 23 Upper Gage
• 24 Upper Sherman
• 25 Upper Wentworth
• 26 Upper Wellington
• 27 Upper James
• 33 Sanatorium
• 35 College
At least three of those routes might not be coming downtown in the next few years. Some interesting ideas out there...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 8:01 PM
Raising the Hammer

City Releases Design Concepts for MacNab Transit Terminal:

http://raisethehammer.org/blog/1404

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 8:25 PM

so i'm not really clear on this, will the parking lot between the piggott building and the commerce towers not be utilized?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 9:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Interesting looks like the shelters and the passenger terminal will have green roofs. LED boards as well, that will obviously link with the GPS.

The parking lot won't be utilized but I believe the plan is to include a path from James to the terminal. Dunno if that is still part of the plan. The parking lot could be utilized once LRT gets constructed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:28 AM
It's Hammer Time

Minor issue that I have is "City Centre Transit Terminal". That sounds suburban to me.

Another issue is that it doesn't appear that the shelters will protect you that much if there's only one solid wall. Guess most will be inside the passenger terminal if it's windy, snowing or raining.

Prediction: Tim Hortons gets space at the passenger transit terminal.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Hahahaha.....

...now be realistic what are the other 2 favorites that will be there too??

mic67

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 11:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Matt was saying the City should put HSR logo instead of "City Centre Transit Terminal". I think that's a good idea. London and TTC all have iconic logos. We should push HSR. Perhaps the City should start a competition for a new retro HSR logo, same set up for designing the B-Line bus.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 7:21 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

City Centre Transit Terminal?

This city has the biggest problem with names. Even the HWDSB. Hamilton-Wentworth? District? Toronto's is called the Toronto School Board. It should be simply called the HSR Terminal... if that's what it is...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 8:11 PM
Hammer'd

Yah, the HWDSB name has been pissing me off for ages. We amalgamated 9 years ago. Switch the bloody name over already.

On the HSR issue, I believe that people are more proud of their public transit system if they can identify it as more than a public agency. The TTC is almost as famous as a celebrity icon in Toronto thanks to their catchy slogans and advertisements over the last 30 years. "Ride The Rocket", "The Better Way", etc. That makes people feel closer to the service they are using, and it feels like more of a part of their city. The only HSR slogan I've seen is an old one you can find on some bus shelters and old route maps "We'll Take You There". Not really all that catchy or original, actually. The downtown terminal needs a big HSR logo. Anybody ever even seen an HSR commercial on CH? Actually, maybe thats not a great idea. I can only imagine how cheesy it would be.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 12:28 AM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The TTC is almost as famous as a celebrity icon in Toronto thanks to their catchy slogans and advertisements over the last 30 years. "Ride The Rocket", "The Better Way", etc. That makes people feel closer to the service they are using, and it feels like more of a part of their city.
The HSR doesn't do this because they're afraid it might be successful and they'd have to figure out how to cram more people onto already overstuffed buses.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Correction
TTC does not = The Better Way but THE BITTER WAY. TTC sucks and blows at the same time...go figure. The TTC is not the buses or the trains but the drivers and the "stupidvisors" man TTC has got so many of those stupidvisors, you rarely see them in the HSR and when you do they move around and park in lots like Dairy Queen or 7/11.

TTC is and will likely always be a POS...to bad Torontonians deserve better.

TTC = Take The Car
TTC = Take The Cab

Too Bad so sad.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:55 AM
Hammer'd

I'll have to disagree. I have always loved the TTC. It always got me where I needed to go without issue and the drivers I talked to were always courteous and friendly.

The only thing that makes the TTC bad in my opinion is the lack of funding involvement from the Federal government right now.

I suppose this is all neither here nor there, though.

The new stops are up at the GO Centre. Barton and King are sharing a stop on the East side of the station (where the GO buses used to layover, at the back) and Cannon and University share a stop at the West side. The King has to make a bit of a weird turn left off King onto James. The artic bus I was on got stuck at the next set of lights for the other side of Gore Park and was basically bent around the entire intersection. Kinda weird.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 4:01 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
The HSR doesn't do this because they're afraid it might be successful and they'd have to figure out how to cram more people onto already overstuffed buses.
Which seems like faulty logic to me. You get more successful, you increase your revenue, you have more money to invest in new stock.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 5:20 AM
Hammer'd

The HSR has been doing a lot better in recent years in efforts to attract ridership and improve service but it's still light years behind the TTC or OC Transpo for example. The bike rack project was definitely a huge success as were the replacement of older articulated buses, 17 bus order of additional articulated buses, and investment in new routes, both rapid and non-rapid. When you think about it, thats a lot of improvement in only about 5 years (all of this has happened or been planned within that time).

In September we'll have a new rapid transit route (#20 A-Line), auto stop announcements and GPS positioning on buses and a whole slew of higher capacity, articulated hybrid buses. We're also still expecting the Metrolinx decision on LRT later in July, which got LRT backing from the HSR and the city already.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 10:39 AM
BANNED

The HSR Rocks...and that is due to the drivers.

What Hamilton really needs is some 24 hour lines.

The last Main and Barton out of McNab station is at 1:20am and if last call is, what 2am, its a cab or u-drive < a rather bad and poor option particularly with the .05 now.

The lower city could do with just the Main but the mountain would need at least 2, now that would mean about a 2 mile walk to a 24 hour HSR, say from the base of the mountain to almost bayfront sort of distance.

mic67

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Which seems like faulty logic to me. You get more successful, you increase your revenue, you have more money to invest in new stock.
A bit more than half the HSR's revenue comes from fares, and the rest comes from the city's transit budget. If the HSR's ridership goes up significantly, that means the city will have to spend more public money on transit - but council still regards transit as a subsidy to be minimized rather than an investment to be leveraged. Factor in the city's bizarre area rating system, in which residents of different parts of the city pay different tax rates toward transit, and you end up with a situation in which it's remarkably difficult to get more revenue into our transit system to expand service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure