HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:05 AM

Great job downtownserg89! I was just about to post my own pics but you pretty covered it and then some- thus saving me the trouble. Thanks! Finally seeing a buzz of activity. Hopefully well have some new (advanced) proposals soon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:25 PM

Serg! You nailed the pics! They make me want to come home!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 11:49 PM

Great pics, thanks so much for sharing! Lots of things going on, but all dotted around. Hopefully we see more in downtown happening (well, other than the gym going in next door to Dive Bar!)

I hadn't heard about the "WAL" project on R Street - is that what was the lot next to Shoki Ramen House??

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:37 AM
Hindrance to Development

WAL is across the street on the next block, the old Lawrence Warehouse plus a new building of similar size. More than 100 apartments, ranging from low-income studios to 1000+ sf market rate apartments, intended for working artists who need a place to live that can also function as a studio.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 12:56 AM

The fence has gone up around The Warren site. Site demolition and cleanup has begun or will shortly.

The project will include 118 market-rate one and two bedroom rental apartment units, 5,195 square feet of ground floor retail along 16th Street and 133 parking spaces on the first floor and in the basement. The projected completion date is the first quarter of 2015. While I'm not wild about the design at least it's much needed infill housing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:11 AM

I wish the projects under construction or soon to start construction had a little more height to them. Hopefully the next ground of projects will.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I wish the projects under construction or soon to start construction had a little more height to them. Hopefully the next ground of projects will.
I believe this is within the capitol view corridor. But I'm with you. We need to get more height in this town.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:48 AM
Here we stAy

While I'm glad to hear that the Warren site is moving forward, I wish they would have gone with something a little closer to the previous design. This looks rather bland.

Still, really can't complain about seeing more new quality housing coming to the grid.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
While I'm glad to hear that the Warren site is moving forward, I wish they would have gone with something a little closer to the previous design. This looks rather bland.

Still, really can't complain about seeing more new quality housing coming to the grid.
do you mean this?

The project was originally going to be condos so.. maybe when then decided to go with rental they needed to cut some costs in order to get it funded and moving forward?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:17 AM

So did the Aura project completely die off?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:07 AM
Here we stAy

Aura has been long gone for a while. Not sure if the entitlements are still valid, but I would have to assume a new design would come for any new proposal on that site.

ozone - Yes, that design. If we could at least get the glass fully covering the corner again, that would be a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:07 PM
Hindrance to Development

A lot of the condo-to-apartment shift is due to liability--the extra insurance you have to buy when you get sued in the first 10 years is a disincentive for building attached condos, but if they are built to condo standards they can convert from apartments to condos once the building is 10 years old. The Warren and a lot of other projects are doing that.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:35 PM

Does anyone know what's going on with the 700 block of K Street? Does Ali Youssefi/CFY have what it takes to move this forward without redevelopment funds? You would think that with the arena they could be able to do it without it. Where does the city stand?

wburg- I really question whether insurance was the deciding factor in going for rental over condos. More likely tight credit and a market that's still not fully recovered -at least not to pre-crash. But whatever.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:57 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I can't predict what's going to happen Michael and really if it makes economic sense it will happen. If not, it doesn't matter. One thing I can say is that 1988 is irrelevant.
It’s only irrelevant if you ignore why it happen and why it could happen today.
In the last three economic cycles, Sacramento has been about 1 ½ years
behind when getting projects started. While most other cities reaped the
benefits of getting out of the gates early with their projects before the
economy dipped into a recession, Sacramento was still on the sidelines.

If the current (sluggish) economic cycle softens and the Fed reins in its
monthly QE3 printing of money, and other factors, it’s likely that many of
these on the drawing board won’t move beyond that. It’s fun to cheer these
proposals through the process, but I’m highly cautious as to how many will
break ground only because of where we are in the current economic cycle.

If Sacramento sees half these proposals completed, I would count that as an
enormous success. I’m glad to see the arena being built downtown, but I’m
highly skeptical about the city’s financing numbers and why they still don’t
want to talk about it… like when the bond payment rate nearly doubles in a
few years. It will be a great photo opportunity. Maybe you can join me Jim?

Regarding 301 Capitol Mall, my contact within CalPERS say we should not
expect to see a proposal for the site for at least 12 to 16 months because
they are uncertain about the economy. If this latest press release draws
enough positive attention, we should expect to see combination of
sectors in the proposal that include office, residential, retail or hospitality.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:02 PM

^^^ do you still intend to do your blog? You haven't updated it since July of last year. Also I'm curious what type of business you are in. If you wouldn't mind sharing that.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:04 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the 700 block of K Street? Does Ali Youssefi/CFY have what it takes to move this forward without redevelopment funds? You would think that with the arena they could be able to do it without it. Where does the city stand?

wburg- I really question whether insurance was the deciding factor in going for rental over condos. More likely tight credit and a market that's still not fully recovered -at least not to pre-crash. But whatever.
The city is currently suing the state in order to get this project untangled from the giant mess that occurred with the end of redevelopment. They have private funding and everything is all set, but the state doesn't want to consider the project an enforceable obligation.

Tight credit and a recovering market are why insurance becomes the deal breaker. For-sale housing is under construction and getting snapped up quickly, but only on detached row houses where the condo lawsuit problem doesn't apply, like Tapestri Square and 2500 R.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The city is currently suing the state in order to get this project untangled from the giant mess that occurred with the end of redevelopment. They have private funding and everything is all set, but the state doesn't want to consider the project an enforceable obligation.

Tight credit and a recovering market are why insurance becomes the deal breaker. For-sale housing is under construction and getting snapped up quickly, but only on detached row houses where the condo lawsuit problem doesn't apply, like Tapestri Square and 2500 R.
WTF? This is the State Capitol and I know the Gov and certainly the SF-snob Lt Governor doesn't give a damn about Sac but can't the f'king state pretend to care?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 6:18 PM

16 Powerhouse. Just reached the top floor in the back.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 6:21 PM
Resu Deretsiger

sucks I had an apartment on 16th and N then I move to pittsburg CA. Drove up 16th a week ago, not fair!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:35 PM

Sacramento Commons

The Sacramento Commons project, between 5th and 7th and N and P, is being heavily contested by the Sacramento Old City Association (sacoldcity.org), the National Trust for Historic Preservation (represented by an attorney from SF), SacMod, the Northern California chapter of Docomomo, and the California Preservation Foundation. They believe "that the site has unique architectural significance ... and unique association with the development of Sacramento as a capital city."

1. I just can't see how a bunch of two story apartment buildings have historical significance to block a project like this. They argue more for the layout of the entire block which has historical significance, but it seems to be a stretch to me. However, there is a significant list of opposition.

2. Does anyone know how much influence these organizations have at the city level?

3. Do these groups pick and choose their battles, or do they generally fight all urban development?

It's interesting to me that they want to use the EIR as a tool to help block the project, when urban development located near public transit fits many of the checkboxes for smart development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area