HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 11:26 PM

european density

This entire Olympic Village - SE False Creek area is evolving into "mid-density" or what might be called "European Density." Many European cities, not only Paris, have extensive areas of this density, which support, among other things, sufficient pax volume to justify further rrt infrastructure.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread, but just looking at this, I can imagine the transit demands made on it in the future, perhaps further to the existing Canada Line Station. Perhaps some eventual east-west configuration would be well to include here, in decades to come, of course.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
This entire Olympic Village - SE False Creek area is evolving into "mid-density" or what might be called "European Density." Many European cities, not only Paris, have extensive areas of this density, which support, among other things, sufficient pax volume to justify further rrt infrastructure.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread, but just looking at this, I can imagine the transit demands made on it in the future, perhaps further to the existing Canada Line Station. Perhaps some eventual east-west configuration would be well to include here, in decades to come, of course.
Streetcar

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Thanks for the updates. I'm still finding Opsal very underwhelming, but it's nice to see the Main St. canyon taking shape with Lido's rental block rising next to Central's office block.
On the contrary, I think Opsal is the only outstanding building among all the rectangular shorties built on OV.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Parisian mid densities have art decor and lots of retail to enhance them architecturally and in terms of creating vibrancy. OV is nothing like that at all and will just be another nondescript neighbourhood.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, it's just a wide setback.
There was that plan for the Kingsway diversion - to divert Kingsway onto Quebec - but I seem to recall JLousa saying that was now dead.

Either way, it makes sense that Quebec be widened to match the segment to the north (with median and curbside parking).
It's only dead with the current city council, who are as we speak trying to sell the city owned land that would allow the connection. Of course selling strategically positioned public land is nothing but sabotage and a misuse of public assets, but like I say thats what you get when you have a 34% voter turnout.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 10:16 PM

I'm disappointed by the red stripe on Opsal - it's the same red as on the heritage building and I don't think it needed to be the same to "connect" the two buildings.
That shade of red is very much a "heritage colour" and I think it looks out of place on the modern tower.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:08 AM

i wonder if Tap and Barrel has seen a decrease in volume since craft opened?

Craft's wait times are majorly long and even last night they were packed, and T&B was pretty dead.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:18 AM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
i wonder if Tap and Barrel has seen a decrease in volume since craft opened?

Craft's wait times are majorly long and even last night they were packed, and T&B was pretty dead.
In the winter... it shouldn't be hard to beat T&B with some marginally better food. In the summer... hands down T&B's patio is one of the best AND SUNNIEST in the city!

Currently... it seems that they're doing quite well with overflow business.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:21 PM
ON3P Skis

Flying Pig will be opening in the Residences at WEST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig
We are excited to announce that The Flying Pig Eatery has secured almost 4000 sq.ft. of street level retail space at The Shops at WEST to open a 3rd location. On the heels of the hugely successful Yaletown and newly opened Gastown locations, The Flying Pig will add yet another major component to Southeast False Creek and Vancouver's fastest growing waterfront neighbourhood.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Flying Pig will be opening in the Residences at WEST.

This is my favourite business/networking lunch place. I am excited for this as it my act as a magnet for some other food rather than drink oriented places.

Is this the current balance:
Coffee: JJbean, Blenz, Terra Breads
Pub/bar: tap & barrel, Craft Beer Market, (liquor store?)
Restaurants: flying pig, any other ???
Other: urban fare

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city-dweller View Post

This is my favourite business/networking lunch place. I am excited for this as it my act as a magnet for some other food rather than drink oriented places.

I have to say to me anyway, flying pig is meh... but it's better than the usual suspects taking space although I am willing to bet that isn't too far off.

I do wish more restaurant groups would be willing to branch out and open different concepts instead of just re-creating the same thing over and over. A few have done it but they tend to stick to lower rent areas which the OV is not.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:

You can add these to the list as well-

Other: Subway, Mario's Gelati
Restaurants: Club House Japanese
Pub/bar: The Sin Bin

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapten View Post
You can add these to the list as well-

Other: Subway, Mario's Gelati
Restaurants: Club House Japanese
Pub/bar: The Sin Bin
Wouldn't you think that Club House and Sin Bin are essentially occupying space while they wait for that block to get demolished? I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Wouldn't you think that Club House and Sin Bin are essentially occupying space while they wait for that block to get demolished? I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
There have been no development plans announced for the block yet... and the adjacency to Marguerite Ford may discourage development of market condos on that site (especially if there are units w/ street entry i.e. townhouses). Buy I have noticed that the Hansen House antiques store has been "going out of business" for some time and there doesn't seem to be any commercial real estate marketing efforts to secure a new tenant (perhaps one was secured in advance?).

As someone who lives in the west portion of SEFC (the area west of Columbia Street), I can honestly say that I've had no issues with any of the Ford Apartments residents. But I would *love* to see the Speedy Auto Glass/Tire centre demolished/redeveloped as it is a truly hideous structure...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Terra Breads is more of a bakery/cafe than just a coffee shop. I mean, they serve coffee, but they are also a full on bakery and serve a variety of sandwiches and flatbread pizzas. I think they are also licensed? I go there sometimes on the weekend for the bakery, and grab a sandwich, soup, and coffee while I'm there.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:

There will be a brewery and pub occupying the Opsal Steel heritage building. As per the sales rep at Opsal, the SEFC area is planned to be a brewery area. With Craft and T&B, I think this will be too much imo. I would like to see some more diversity with the restaurant scene.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds88 View Post
There will be a brewery and pub occupying the Opsal Steel heritage building. As per the sales rep at Opsal, the SEFC area is planned to be a brewery area. With Craft and T&B, I think this will be too much imo. I would like to see some more diversity with the restaurant scene.
I'd love to see the following types of eateries in SEFC:
Thai
Indian
Pizza/Italian

With the brewpubs opening I don't see a dire need for the chain establishments like Cactus Club, Earl's, & Browns...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 12:36 AM
More Towers

Well the chains will go where ever they please if they have the bank account to roll it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
Terra Breads is more of a bakery/cafe than just a coffee shop. I mean, they serve coffee, but they are also a full on bakery and serve a variety of sandwiches and flatbread pizzas. I think they are also licensed? I go there sometimes on the weekend for the bakery, and grab a sandwich, soup, and coffee while I'm there.
are the prices of their bakery goods slightly higher compared to chain stores or do they only do specialty breads?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:07 AM
Vancouver User

The Terra Breads OV location is indeed licensed and open 7AM-7PM, 7 days per week.

Also... there is a new sushi & juice bar on Manitoba and 1.5: http://www.aquajuicebar.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver