HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:38 PM

1806 Scott St | 14.5 m | 4 fl | Proposed

The owner has retained Open Plan Architects Inc. to prepare redevelopment plans, which propose the construction of one, four (4) storey, low-rise, apartment building located at the corner of Scott Street and Rockhurst Road.

The existing building is proposed to be demolished.

The development proposes 16 total units, of which 12 have been designed to be accessible. Turning radii for a wheelchair user are shown in the floor plans. The barrier-free entry to the building is accessed via Rockhurst Road and an elevator is also provided to ensure that the entire building is accessible.

Two (2) surface parking spaces are proposed as part of the development. The parking spaces are located at the southeast corner of the site and will be accessed via Rockhurst Road. They are proposed to be constructed with permeable pavement materials. The existing curb cut on Scott Street would no longer be required.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:08 PM

Seriously...a Low-rise on Scott street? I'm all for the missing middle but the missing middle belongs in between Scott and Wellington not on those two street. I understand in the current context this is still an improvement but I cant help but roll my eyes at a 4 stories on a main arterial road with access to the LRT. Also what a horrible design.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...3-0007/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:32 PM
ハルウララ

Might be the worst render i've ever seen.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Seriously...a Low-rise on Scott street? I'm all for the missing middle but the missing middle belongs in between Scott and Wellington not on those two street. I understand in the current context this is still an improvement but I cant help but roll my eyes at a 4 stories on a main arterial road with access to the LRT. Also what a horrible design.
It's nearly the half way point between Tunney's and Westboro Stations, about 700 meters away from each of them. That and the small lot they have to develop I would assume justifies the relatively small development.

If a developer was able to purchase the entire triangle, now that could make for an interesting development.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's nearly the half way point between Tunney's and Westboro Stations, about 700 meters away from each of them. That and the small lot they have to develop I would assume justifies the relatively small development.
Agreed. Also, it is adjacent to bungalows on Scott St and 2 story homes on Rockhurst Rd. Anything more than 4 stories would stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
If a developer was able to purchase the entire triangle, now that could make for an interesting development.
Even if they could get a couple of the neighbouring properties on both streets, much more could be done.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 1:30 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Wow the amount of Nimby against a four story building on Scott St is insane. Leiper got really attacked!

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Wow the amount of Nimby against a four story building on Scott St is insane. Leiper got really attacked!
Most of the NIMBYism, I think, is actually against the likely resident make-up of the building. But, being a low-budget building, the developers didn't splurge on design either.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:44 PM

The same BANANAs who bitch and moan and virtue signal about 'Luxury Buildings' not having any/enough affordable housing will also bitch and moan about non-luxury buildings affecting the character of their neighborhood. You can't win with these people.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 5:37 PM

There were more then a few comments made there that should have been called off by either staff or the Councillor....

Mind you...I wonder what Leiper is going to be like now that he doesn't plan on running again.....

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 6:57 PM

I liked Leiper's comment about him thinking it shouldn't be up to council to approve these rezonings because there's no planning rational to refuse it so the local council seems like the bad guy instead of the province.

He stated there was no grounds to not approve at the opening the meeting. Not that those there were open to hearing this, but that might have gone better if he had more fully stressed that ideas to mitigate the effect of the project were being noted and he would advocate strongly for those during the site plan process.

The residents were just in "oppose" mode and were not willing to come up with mitigation ideas. They just kept mentioning, unanimously that it was an ugly building. Not a good way to get the designers creativity working on solutions to your legitimate complaints.

One of my bitches about these developments was addressed in the plan - they have included 2 parking spots for deliveries and pickups so that those vehicles won't be parked or double parked in front of the building.

Edited to add: One of the excellent questions made was asking about parking for mobility scooters. It the building is designed to be accessible, then the idea that it would require some sort of parking for scooters is reasonable and should be an amenity.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The same BANANAs who bitch and moan and virtue signal about 'Luxury Buildings' not having any/enough affordable housing will also bitch and moan about non-luxury buildings affecting the character of their neighborhood. You can't win with these people.
Hey you must have been at the same public meeting I was at Sarcasm mode on. All meetings tend to be like this.

I watched a bit of it and the 'artist' guy who spoke near the beginning in opposition was pretty caustic in his comments.

There was a lot of inherent snobbery that I could see about the type of tenants who would live here.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 10:13 PM

We rarely hear constructive criticism anymore. It's sad really.

You'd think that the small scale of this building would appease the locals, considering what's been approved, proposed and going up along Scott... but yeah, it's probably more about the target demographics of the building.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
We rarely hear constructive criticism anymore. It's sad really.

You'd think that the small scale of this building would appease the locals, considering what's been approved, proposed and going up along Scott... but yeah, it's probably more about the target demographics of the building.
But the new building is going to be 10 m away from the neighbours daughters bedroom and their ensuite bathroom. Stop the intensification now. Won't anyone think of the ensuite bathrooms (which probably have frosted glass anyway).

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
I liked Leiper's comment about him thinking it shouldn't be up to council to approve these rezonings because there's no planning rational to refuse it so the local council seems like the bad guy instead of the province.
It is councils fault, because the only reason they are in this situation is because zoning doesn't match the official plan and hasn't been updated in this case since 2008 (15 years)

Also, can Jeff not blatantly Lie and try to pass the buck for political points, the motion he helped pass limited Minor corridors to 6 stories not 4 as he implied...and secondly this hypocrite goes off on a rant about the city needing to intensify in this very meeting then congratulates himself about limiting density to major corridors in the Urban areas of the city. (cause he sure as ---- is not going to support low rise throughout his ward). He also removed Sherborne as a minor corridor because he didn't want commercial on it....

https://youtu.be/8T58cYLdGZk?t=3268

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ions-1.6215416

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 12:01 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Revised Proposal (Sept 2023)

The proposed development has been revised in response to staff and public feedback. Major changes include:

> Responding to concerns regarding privacy and overlook for the existing residential dwelling to the south.
A key takeaway from both staff comments and the public consultation were concerns related to privacy, and two (2) changes to the proposed development have been made to mitigate these concerns:
  • Increasing the rear yard setback from 7.5 to 9.23 metres to improve privacy of the adjacent existing residential dwelling to the south and mitigate the potential for overlook;
  • Replacement of the cedar hedge along the south property line with Pyramidal English Oak trees, which will provide increased privacy and screening between the proposed development and the existing residential dwelling to the south;

> Ground floor entrances.
The ground floor entrances were redesigned to locate the front door to face Scott Street and the garbage room door facing the interior side yard to the west.

> Relocation of the outdoor bicycle parking rack.
For improved safety and improved streetscape, the outdoor bicycle parking rack has been relocated to the rear yard.

> Relocation of the parking spaces.
Two (2) parking spaces are now proposed to remain in the same location as present, on Rockhurst Road slightly south of the intersection of Scott Street. The original application had these two spots further to the south in an area that is currently grass. As with Submission 1, the parking spaces on Scott Street are proposed to be removed. The parking configuration is confirmed as early as 2002 using aerial photography from GeoOttawa and appears to have been established some time between 1965 and 2002, as no curb cuts are visible in aerial photography from 1965, but parking is visible in 2002 aerial photography, shown below in Figure 2 and Figure 3. This demonstrates a long-standing, pre-existing condition related to front and corner yard parking on the subject site.

> Building material adjustments.
In response to feedback from the public, the building design has been adjusted to introduce additional colours to the ground floor, including a charcoal horizontal accent siding, shown below in Figure 7 and Figure 8. The charcoal siding emphasizes the ground floor and provides a transition in materials to add visual interest and break up the massing of the building.

> Provision of the interior yard area.
Whereas the previous design oriented the building toward Rockhurst Avenue, the revised design defines the front toward Scott Street. The re-orientation of the building eliminates the requirement for the interior yard.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 12:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

There. Are you happy now Mr. 296 Rockhurst? You got them to move the nearest building face 5.5 ft further from your house, which is almost at the lot line.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa