HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankendall View Post
Very interesting post about 10th and Market being 19 and 35 story towers now. I thought the original proposal was three towers between 14 and 24 stories. I thought the taller tower was in the back though and the shorter tower on the north. I didn't think the planning department wanted the taller towers on the market side. Like at the Trinity Plaza project. Anyone know? Or maybe they changed the rules at planning when they rezoned the area around Van Ness and Market for all the possible 400' towers. Anyone know if its still going to be senior housing. Wondering if that changed too.
the plan which was originally approved had a 320' office tower on market street, a 200' workforce housing tower on 10th street, and a 14 story senior housing tower on mission street. the parcel changed hands and the office tower became residential. the original housing buildings were being redesigned but i haven't heard what became of them.

the area around van ness and market has not been rezoned yet - it's still a study, and i *think* the residential tower was already approved (or rather, the change from office to residential and the associated change in massing.)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:30 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Would this be correct? Not so sure on the lower towers:

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:33 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I see a mistake, I mistook the Intercontinental for the apartments next to the Federal Bldg.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:57 AM

Lovely idea Wonderpark.

I think I notice one possible mistake though. To the left of the "Signature Transbay Terminal Tower" which is currently being designed under the design competition, there is the Palace hotel Tower. Then directly to the left of that tower is another tall tower. I believe that is the 3rd tower under the Transbay Terminal Plan and should be highlighted in red. One of the three parcels they want to upsize to 850 ft to pay for the terminal. The Renzo Piano tower is directly right of the "Signature Tower" and is a 5 tower project, with two thin towers at 1200 feet high' That is the other of the three parcels.

Last edited by San Frangelino; Feb 4, 2007 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:07 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Update

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:27 AM

Brilliant!...that is, if I advised you right.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:26 AM

This is kinda a dumb question - but at this point, what are the odds of seeing a 1000'+ building or two in DT SF under construction in the next ~5 years? Is this almost a given, or are we just hoping?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:14 AM
Green Berniecrat

I tried my best at identifying some of the towers here. I dont think they've included 350 Fremont St in there yet, thats another 800 foot proposal.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:20 AM

^great job...I guess that they are also missing 45 Lansing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
the plan which was originally approved had a 320' office tower on market street, a 200' workforce housing tower on 10th street, and a 14 story senior housing tower on mission street. the parcel changed hands and the office tower became residential. the original housing buildings were being redesigned but i haven't heard what became of them.
This was on the agenda of the Planning Commission yesterday:

Quote:
Case No. 2006.0584KXCV: 1407-1435 Market Street and 17-70 10th Street, southwest corner, Lot 041 (a portion of the former Lot 039) in Assessor’s Block 3507: The proposed project is (1) the demolition of the existing office buildings and surface parking lot and (2) the construction of two buildings sharing a common base and containing approximately 719 dwelling units, approximately 19,000 square feet of commercial space, and a garage with up to 668 parking spaces. The taller north tower will be 35 stories and approximately 352 feet high, and the shorter south tower will be 19 stories and approximately 220 feet high. The project requires review under Section 309 of the Planning Code for compliance and exceptions, conditional use authorization, and variances from certain requirements of the Planning Code. The project site is within the C-3-G (Downtown General Commercial) District and 200-S and 320-S Height and Bulk Districts. Source: http://sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp?id=25756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
the area around van ness and market has not been rezoned yet - it's still a study, and i *think* the residential tower was already approved (or rather, the change from office to residential and the associated change in massing.)
According to this article, it was hoped the Market/Octavia Plan, which calls for rezoning the market/Van Ness area, was to be approved by the Planning Commission last December. Not sure if that happened but that would put it before the Board of Supervisors now:

Quote:
Filling up Market-Octavia
Neighborhood plan fuels first building project
San Francisco Business Times - November 17, 2006
by J.K. Dineen
Najib Joe Hakim
Brian Spiers has signed up a "starchitect" for a pioneering condo project at the site of an old Union 76 station.
View Larger
For six years local builder Brian Spiers has carefully watched the Market-Octavia plan wend its way through the city's seemingly endless planning process.

Now the plan is on the brink of passing, and Spiers is poised to be a pioneer in the new wave of housing development the zoning changes are expected to spur.

Spiers has acquired a prominent 22,000-square-foot lot at the corner of Buchanan and Market streets for between $9 million and $11 million. Currently a Union 76 gas station, the parcel is one of several along Market Street the plan identifies as a top priority for the Market-Octavia area.

The Market-Octavia plan aims to create a transit-oriented neighborhood with dense housing over retail and streets that that cater to walkers and bikers. The plan covers 379 acres including Hayes Valley, a portion of Mid-Market and Mission Dolores and part of Duboce Triangle. The plan, could result in 4,400 more housing units over the next 20 years, allows taller buildings near Van Ness Avenue and Market, but reduces heights in residential neighborhoods like Hayes Valley. It allows for three 400-foot towers clustered around the intersection of Market and Van Ness.

"There are a lot people waiting for this plan to go through -- they don't want to submit anything under the old zoning," he said.

Spiers has hired Miami-based design super star Arquitectonica to design an eight-story, 115-unit building on a sloped lot stepping down from the tan art deco apartment building above on Buchanan Street. Arquitectonica is more often associated with high-profile statement buildings like Tishman Speyer's Infinity project on Rincon Hill, but Spiers was referred to the firm by another builder and he was thrilled it said yes.

"The Planning Department wants good design and I hired Arquitectonica because I wanted to give them good design," said Spiers. "If you go up and down Market Street, this is one of the most visible sites. It is an important corner within the plan."

Spiers, a former carpenter, last year finished a 28-unit mixed-use project at 270 Valencia St., next to the old Levi Strauss factory.

The plan requires ground-floor retail along Market Street between Noe Street and Van Ness Avenue. Spiers has 220 feet of frontage along Market Street and plans to build a restaurant and two retail spaces. Spiers owns two bars in the city, including the Lucky 13, just up Market Street from the site. He said he would have loved to have had the new plan in place for the Valencia Street project because it would have given him 15-foot heights on his ground floor retail, instead of 10.

Chris Foley of Polaris Group brokered the land deal and will market the condo project when it is done. He said that Spiers, a Sunset District native, was determined to build a "pioneering project under the plan."

"He wants to really build an incredible, world-class building, which is why he hired a killer designer," said Foley. "It is going to cost him a lot of money, but he wants to be proud of the building and for the city to be proud of the building."

Lead Market-Octavia planner John Billovits said he hopes the Planning Commission will approve the plan Dec. 7 and move it to the Board of Supervisors by Dec. 14.

He said it's been satisfying to see developers like Spiers come forward plan-consistent projects.

"The plan is about more than just buildings, it's about neighborhood building," he said,

J.K. Dineen covers real estate for the San Francisco Business Times.

Source: http://albuquerque.bizjournals.com/s...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Reminiscence: I think what you have labeled "SF Federal Building" is actually SOMA Grand. The Federal Building can be seen next to it appearing to be completed. Also, what you have labeled 535 Mission is not but rather is the project on Howard next door to Foundry Square III (which is on the southwest corner of 1st & Howard)--I can't recall the address but I'll see if I can dig it out.

I don't think 535 Mission is depicted.

Last edited by BTinSF; Feb 4, 2007 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:39 AM
BANNED

^^^Here we go--it's 524 Howard:

Quote:
A 23-story building designed by HellerManus, 524 Howard St. was approved in 2000 and put on ice after the tech boom soured. On a mid-block site between First and Second streets, the project will include 202,000 square feet of office space. Swinerton is the contractor.

With rents rising rapidly in the south financial district, it's time to dust off the plans, said Nader Shah, senior VP of Higgins Development Partners.

"We believe the market has come back and we'll be taking a hard look at it in the first half of 2007," he said.

Higgins, based in Chicago, developed the 820,000-square-foot Yahoo headquarters in Sunnyvale and the Hyatt Center, a 47-story tower in Chicago.

The building at 524 Howard St. would be its first project in San Francisco.

Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:26 AM
BANNED

anybody got pics of the progress of the california academy of sciences building in GGPark? this one should be the most interesting out of any others, with the full on garden rooftop

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 8:19 AM
BANNED

^^^They do--on their web site: http://www.calacademy.org/newacademy/

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Oh man I can't wait for this one! The living rainforest and live roof park will be just spectacular.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 8:16 PM
Green Berniecrat

Attempt at an accurate update (thanks to BTinSF for the corrections ):

I'm not sure what the rest of those towers are, I'm guessing some are part of the Transbay Plan, but the rest are unknown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:54 PM

your update looks correct now...

the pair of cruciform towers to the 'right' of 201 folsom on the image is a mistake. the three plain rectangular boxes in the foreground (one directly in front of millenium, and two in front and left of that) are the 550', 450', and 300' towers from the transbay plan. the three boxes right below where you've written '524 howard' are also sites identified in the transbay plan - 400', 550', and 300' in the original plan. these are among the sites being considered for additional height...

projects from this thread not shown include 45 lansing, 535 mission, the 690 market st addition, 631 folsom, argenta/bovet place/1 polk, and a bunch of other litle ones.

the ones labeled 340 and 375 fremont are not quite right in the rendering either.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 1:16 AM

Recently Added to the Endangered Species List:

50-88 First Street

350 Mission Street

177-183 Fremont Street

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:30 AM

829-831 Folsom?

Does anyone have any info on 829-831 Folsom (between Fourth and Fifth)? A quick search online revealed a Board of Supervisors proposal to allow at this site an 85-foot structure with a dwelling unit density greater than one per 200 square foot of lot area, but that's all I could find...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 3:19 AM

Talk about a confined site!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations