HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

320 Granville in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:24 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Like go UNDER the Canada line tunnel and up again? Well, I don't know, but I think if the CL tunnel is deeper, it can just go below grade.

As for: "they couldnt even link that up to sinclair", there you go, another lost opportunity.
The Canada Line tunnel is pretty shallow there actually. It's just above sea level. Theres only 2-3 floors between the Expo/Canada/WCE and Cordova Street Level. It would be a pretty tight fit.

The foundation according to that diagram seems like it would be right behind the platform in the Canada Line station. It might not be a bad spot for a future Spanish Solution platform, but it would be hard to arrange a connection from the building to anything but a fair paid zone.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
The Canada Line tunnel is pretty shallow there actually. It's just above sea level. Theres only 2-3 floors between the Expo/Canada/WCE and Cordova Street Level. It would be a pretty tight fit.

The foundation according to that diagram seems like it would be right behind the platform in the Canada Line station. It might not be a bad spot for a future Spanish Solution platform, but it would be hard to arrange a connection from the building to anything but a fair paid zone.
Fair enough. Forget the Sinclair Centre, but an underground link to the Waterfront Station would be nice. A continuation of a good underground walkway could even link the building to the other corner development: the 601 West Hastings development (the former glass dome).

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
No. But they also aren't really needed there
Definitely needed. If you can go through a few intersections underground, you can potentially save up a few minutes by not having to wait at pedestrian cross-walks, and it is way safer too. Many people buy their food and can access services in those tunnels: I get my lunch, keys made, mailing done, banking done, clothes stitched/dry-cleaned, etc, all in the comfort of the Bentall underground mall network that is close to where I work.

Last edited by Vin; Nov 20, 2018 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:28 AM

Nov.20 '18, my pic

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Forget the Sinclair Centre, but an underground link to the Waterfront Station would be nice. A continuation of a good underground walkway could even link the building to the other corner development: the 601 West Hastings development (the former glass dome).

Definitely needed. If you can go through a few intersections underground, you can potentially save up a few minutes by not having to wait at pedestrian cross-walks, and it is way safer too. Many people buy their food and can access services in those tunnels: I get my lunch, keys made, mailing done, banking done, clothes stitched/dry-cleaned, etc, all in the comfort of the Bentall underground mall network that is close to where I work.
Although this lack of pedestrian connectivity is indeed disappointing, nothing is written in stone (except maybe the Great Pyramids).
Several years may go by, but if enough people express a need, or a desire, for such an underground link (and each letter represents votes, so they say) it might just happen.
Sure, it won't be as good as the PATH system, but developers may realize that enough people passing through will spend enough money to make it profitable.
And if there is enough synergy between city hall, the building owners, and the financing people, it may get done. As Winston Churchill said near the end of his life;
"Never give up. Never, never, never, never, never." (This to a group of university students when he was around 90 years old, as I understand)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Although this lack of pedestrian connectivity is indeed disappointing, nothing is written in stone (except maybe the Great Pyramids).
Several years may go by, but if enough people express a need, or a desire, for such an underground link (and each letter represents votes, so they say) it might just happen.
Sure, it won't be as good as the PATH system, but developers may realize that enough people passing through will spend enough money to make it profitable.
And if there is enough synergy between city hall, the building owners, and the financing people, it may get done. As Winston Churchill said near the end of his life;
"Never give up. Never, never, never, never, never." (This to a group of university students when he was around 90 years old, as I understand)
Indeed, trouble is folks here don't know what they want until it's made for them, and then they realize the benefits.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:29 PM

Arrow ... perhaps worth considering ....

Quote:
Indeed, trouble is folks here don't know what they want until it's made for them, and then they realize the benefits.
Something useful and vital doesn't necessarily have to big, and full of "funky this" or "elegant that."
What about a smallish, - perhaps round - concourse, that is a banking centre. All the Big 5, plus HSBC, plus a currency exchange, Pharmacy, post office, WC, coffee bar, and any other
essential $$$ facilities / institutions. This is by a major transport hub. People go through and around The Station all the time: WCExpress, Seabus, rapid transit node to YVR and beyond.
It might create a synergy that would lead to connections to not only Waterfront Station, but maybe even Sinclair Centre, and, if one dares to dream, under the old RBC Canada to Hastings.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:56 PM

Look at all the dead retail in Canada Line stations and you geniuses are predicting some massive retail demand.. Trouble is you guys don't have the money or power to build these stupid schemes so we can laugh when it fails.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Look at all the dead retail in Canada Line stations and you geniuses are predicting some massive retail demand.. Trouble is you guys don't have the money or power to build these stupid schemes so we can laugh when it fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It might create a synergy that would lead to connections to not only Waterfront Station, but maybe even Sinclair Centre, and, if one dares to dream, under the old RBC Canada to Hastings.
No retail synergy: That's why the single retail in each station fails ok, Mr Genius Jollyburger?

FYI, all the other underground retail shops are thriving, and no vacancy to boot.

Maybe you should learn from the big boys:
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...system/279528/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:
What I was imagining under 320 Granville was a banking centre. // Minimum retail. Just a place to grab a coffee, and go to the bathroom if you're in a rush.
But a real BANKING CENTRE, so people travelling this way and that from Waterfront, in downtown to elsewhere, wherever, will be able to say:
The bank!! Ah yes! Down across from the station, at the main subway /// taxi // bus // tain terminus.
A banking concourse purpose-built. Something all-inclusive for the banks, currency exchange, insurance, maybe a travel agency, hotel booking service centre......
Different in concept from RETAIL. No, not retail. Service. Banking, and all travel-related services, plus as I said just a bathroom and a place to grab a cup of coffee on the run.
Not feasible, it seems, form the lack of reaction. Too bad.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
yeah, because one juice shop behind a fare gate is equivalent to a network connecting to multiple buildings hosting thousands and thousands of daily workers who would rather not get soaked walking to various places in a few blocks.

yeah, right...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 8:15 AM

Dec.23 '18, my pic

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 2:10 PM

What a relief that parking garage is gone. I appreciate now being able to see the Royal Bank Tower unobstructed from Waterfront Station.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
What a relief that parking garage is gone. I appreciate now being able to see the Royal Bank Tower unobstructed from Waterfront Station.
Yes. It's rather a regal, older, building which adds a mature, "big city" feel to Vancouver. Too bad the newly proposed, adjoinging bldg on Hastings has it as an "adjunct."
I would lve to have seen the other half completed insome way, to 'round it out. At any rate, that part of town is finally getting the revamp it deserves, so we shouldn't complain.
Too bad that 320 could have been maybe 5 storeys taller, but it will still be a snazzy addition to the CBD in any case.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I think that it is an incredibly underrated building in Vancouver. An old school skyscraper. Everyone focuses on the Marine building, for obvious reasons, but the Royal Bank tower is great in different ways. It has a 'Gotham' feel to it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 7:00 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

I appreciate now being able to see the Royal Bank Tower unobstructed from Waterfront Station.
Appreciate it while it lasts. The sight of the exquisite stone cladding on the north facade (and the grand texture the prewar skyscraper contributed to the skyline as viewed from the harbour for the last 90 years) will be permanently obliterated by the new tabletop tower soon enough.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 9:17 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I think that it is an incredibly underrated building in Vancouver. An old school skyscraper. Everyone focuses on the Marine building, for obvious reasons, but the Royal Bank tower is great in different ways. It has a 'Gotham' feel to it.
I've never even noticed it before you guys just brought it up, but definitely. Gorgeous building.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I've never even noticed it before you guys just brought it up, but definitely. Gorgeous building.
Gorgeous, yes. I wish they'd redesign the big one that it will become an appendage to. There may be a btter way of enhncing it, like doubling it (it is only half the original plan) with either a classic or avant-garde new half.
Excuse me, moderators, this is not right on topic, but I'm not trolling either, as IMO there is a "synergy" among buildings in a district, and it all 'links' together.

Last edited by trofirhen; Dec 25, 2018 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 10:39 AM

Dec.25 '18, my pic

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 10:56 AM

thanks once again !!

True enough, 320 will be a snazzy building, but this is a photo to keep. The RBC is underrated and regal. Ironic that we're just waking up to its beauty and grandeur now......

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:19 AM

Feb.4 '19, my pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver