HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Even if a bunch of chains do go up in the development, they'd probably be more useful to the neighborhood's residents than the bars they're replacing. What I don't like, though, is the amount of parking included...400 stalls, and only 120 apartments!
yeah, it's across the street from a baseball stadium.

also, this is a BAR centric neighborhood. bars ARE the function of this stretch of Clark.

i just really don't understand how people in the neighborhood allowed this. so many neighborhood groups shoot down some really GREAT developments (i'm looking at you South Loop), yet this is met with open arms. i just don't fucking get it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
given the choice, I'd take the 7-11 and the parking lots... all is better, left alone.
and i simply disagree. surface parking lots are the worst phenomenon in the known universe.

they must all be developed!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
...I'm in Wrigleyville nearly every weekend... and yeah, I'm not concerned about losing the buildings; my issue is with losing the feel of the street. this development will sterilize this stretch of Clark. It could be design by Rem Koolhaas and be amazing; I don't care. It's the uniform, massive development that I have issue with... Mullen's shitty green and yellow awning, the IO, the EAT sign, Goose Island, the cozy stretch of one/two story brick facades... that's what this development destroys.

You guys all seem blinded by the fact that this is a huge development. But fuck development at the cost of urban character. Don't forget, also, that the grey stone three flat with the Starbucks will be destroyed too! It just enrages me that, in a city with a long history of senseless destruction of our urban fabric, that you guys are all welcoming more of the same pattern.

I feel like this development could be done better, with attention paid to what is already there. Here's a crazy idea: why not leave all the pre-existing buildings the fuck alone and build up in the vacant lots, instead... but I guess such logic is an foreign concept to these simply profit minded developers...
Well this is a much better explanation for what you don't like. And I agree with you that the loss of individual building fronts is a shame. That doesn't mean however that all that signage can't be returned to the new development. The architect could definitely do better breaking up the frontage to make it appear as if it were multiple buildings.

Do you think that is would be better if they simply put a 19 storey building on the empty lots and left the rest alone? Or would that be unreasonable and also destroy the nature of the street? I'm honestly curious.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post

Do you think that is would be better if they simply put a 19 storey building on the empty lots and left the rest alone? Or would that be unreasonable and also destroy the nature of the street? I'm honestly curious.
Yep. That's exactly what I think. Take the sq footage of this development and reprogram it onto the 7-11 lot. That's my opinion. Clearly, however, I'm outnumbered on this forum as others seem to value bigger buildings over urban character.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
Well this is a much better explanation for what you don't like. And I agree with you that the loss of individual building fronts is a shame. That doesn't mean however that all that signage can't be returned to the new development. The architect could definitely do better breaking up the frontage to make it appear as if it were multiple buildings.
I think the problem though (and I agree with Tom) is that when you're trying to mimic multiple facades, its easy to see through that for what it is: something dishonest and fake. Chicago is great because it is a collection of designs from different periods and each reflects a certain history from its time. You enter one shop or restaurant and its a completely different experience from the one next door to it; not just in appearance but even the little things like how hard you have to pull on the door to enter, the feel of the hardware, the scent of the room, the way the floor creaks. When you slap up a bland massive development like this, those experiences are lost. Everything becomes uniform, and uniform is boring and bland. Im much more in favor of thoughtfully done small projects than these "all or nothing" blocklong demolitions.

And yea, if the design were better it might be easier to swallow, but its not.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:35 PM

Building on the empty lots would definitely be preferable .Obviously, the owners are willing to sell. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this development failed to attract financing - the developer doesn't seem to have a notable background (correct me if I'm wrong), and it may be difficult to market high-end apartments in the center of Wrigleyville.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Yep. That's exactly what I think. Take the sq footage of this development and reprogram it onto the 7-11 lot. That's my opinion. Clearly, however, I'm outnumbered on this forum as others seem to value bigger buildings over urban character.
I don't know that you are outnumbered on that preference here. Your original comment simply stated that you hated this suburban style development. If you had laid it all out to begin with and suggested a single highrise on the corner of Adison and Shefield then maybe the conversation would have been different.

I'm not opposed to a highrise there. I also would love it if the developer could at the very least include several of the facades of the existing structures in their design. And maybe break it up into several taller structures that tear down only a few of the single story buildings and still fill in all the surface lots.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 2:41 PM
~

Quote:
I'm with ya'. One thing living on the East Coast for the past 6 years has made me aware of is that I don't miss some of the more myopic development trends in Chicago. Manhattan, Brooklyn and surrounding places do a fairly great job of taking the old (and ugly) and infusing these places with character while also adding a very exciting mix of fresh and contemporary architecture to the urban fabric.

Also, scale matters. It's the primary reason why I avoid midtown Manhattan like the plague (unless I'm teaching) but absolutely adore most of the human-scaled neighborhoods at the tip of the island.

I'm at a loss as to why Chicago keeps on missing on these great opportunities. At least the lakefront hasn't been tapped for development (for the sake of more $$$).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:24 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
I'm with ya'. One thing living on the East Coast for the past 6 years has made me aware of is that I don't miss some of the more myopic development trends in Chicago. Manhattan, Brooklyn and surrounding places do a fairly great job of taking the old (and ugly) and infusing these places with character while also adding a very exciting mix of fresh and contemporary architecture to the urban fabric.

Also, scale matters. It's the primary reason why I avoid midtown Manhattan like the plague (unless I'm teaching) but absolutely adore most of the human-scaled neighborhoods at the tip of the island.

I'm at a loss as to why Chicago keeps on missing on these great opportunities. At least the lakefront hasn't been tapped for development (for the sake of more $$$).
^ What you observed has nothing to do with how 'enlightened' certain cities are and how 'myopic' Chicago is. It has to do with lot sizes, land values, and zoning.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Addison Park on Clark?

Apologies if discussed already (haven't been following as the ballpark itself doesn't interest me - although adjacent new developments certainly do), but is that Addison Park on Clark proposal completely dead? That was a nice project I thought, and would be a success if the developers were able to get it off the ground. Last I heard I believe was from Rossi at M&R (not the controlling developer) in the media making a statment that seemed not too optimistic-sounding about the controlling developer being able to work out some issues and be able to get it off the ground......How nice would it be to have Addison Park on Clark and the hotel/office project across from the ballpark both added to the neighborhood??

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
I'm curious which places outside of New York and which developments specifically within New York you're referring to. Having recently returned to Chicago after living on the East Coast for five years, I didn't notice any such trends.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I think the problem though (and I agree with Tom) is that when you're trying to mimic multiple facades, its easy to see through that for what it is: something dishonest and fake. Chicago is great because it is a collection of designs from different periods and each reflects a certain history from its time. You enter one shop or restaurant and its a completely different experience from the one next door to it; not just in appearance but even the little things like how hard you have to pull on the door to enter, the feel of the hardware, the scent of the room, the way the floor creaks. When you slap up a bland massive development like this, those experiences are lost. Everything becomes uniform, and uniform is boring and bland. Im much more in favor of thoughtfully done small projects than these "all or nothing" blocklong demolitions.

And yea, if the design were better it might be easier to swallow, but its not.
Very well said. My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Apologies if discussed already (haven't been following as the ballpark itself doesn't interest me - although adjacent new developments certainly do), but is that Addison Park on Clark proposal completely dead?
The last 20-30 posts in this thread have been discussing this very project.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 1:30 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Wow was that an ill-timed post. Still wondering how 'real' it is.......It is a definite improvement over what's there now.

Saw a Notre Dame architecture professor coming out against the jumbotron. If a Notre Dame architecture professor is against, then I'm definitely for it, and vice versa. Simple as that....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:24 PM
Urbane observer

That's quite a swipe at Philip Bess, who has done a great deal to encourage Americans to appreciate ballparks in cities, as opposed to baseball stadiums in parking lots. The article in question. Which of his arguments do you disagree with?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:57 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Hardly.

More of just a philosophical, almost visceral disdain for that school's architecture department and everything it stands for or that has come out of it. Pure tastelessness/backward-looking schlockfest. I mean, for all that's holy, they are affiliated with the Driehaus 'Prize' for architecture! What's the polar opposite of vanguard?

Interesting bringing up the appreciation though of ballparks in cities. Good thing yes, but we've also had to put up with the tremendously junky designs that have come with the vast majority of new parks put up since the movement began. There are definitely signs this may finally be changing, and appreciation of design may be coming back to the sport (but of course we're at a decidedly slower rate of new park construction than we were when the nostalgic schlocksupercycle was coming online)......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Apr 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:20 AM
Urbane observer

^So it sounds like traditional architecture is just fine with you when it's done properly. Perhaps we need more programs like Notre Dame's, not fewer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:09 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Not at all - not for new construction, never. Where'd you get that from? Better ballpark design of late as in Miami and 1 or 2 others.....not whatever it was you were thinking.....

We don't just 'need' fewer Norte Dame-like architecture programs, we rather need none. Architectural history coursework one would think would be sufficient to prepare for future generations of important restoration/renovation work.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Apr 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 5:54 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ What you observed has nothing to do with how 'enlightened' certain cities are and how 'myopic' Chicago is. It has to do with lot sizes, land values, and zoning.
Excuses. Chicago has been able to create amazing work and urban tapestries in the past despite zoning, lot sizes or land value. Chicago is mired in a similar slump that NYC was mired in for decades. NYC happens to be fully realizing its design/architectural potential at long last.

But if you want to stick to this idea that Chicago is handicapped by _________, okay.

Last edited by alex1; Apr 28, 2013 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 6:18 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I'm curious which places outside of New York and which developments specifically within New York you're referring to. Having recently returned to Chicago after living on the East Coast for five years, I didn't notice any such trends.
NYC: The High Line (and surrounding area), the closing down of a stretch of Broadway and the 911 Memorial are three powerful statements. Anyone who's spent time in Manhattan or Brooklyn is very much in touch with any trend you may envision. From the micro/human-scaled shops, restaurants and boutiques (which is what makes interesting cities IMO) to the larger scaled projects like HL23, Sperone Westwater Gallery in the Bowery, Barclay's Center, The New Museum, 41 Cooper Sq., 40 Bond...not to mention the critical mass of young and exciting new architecture firms setting up shop in Brooklyn.

New England: What exactly do you want me to say about it? It does an amazing job at preserving itself. Adaptive reuse is king. Scale matters.

But anyhow, this thread isn't really about these things, right? My overall point is that Wrigley's development plans are weak and myopic. Some of you may agree with me on this issue while others may think this development is an improvement. Some of you may even misconstrue the statement that "I don't miss some of Chicago's more myopic development plans" with me saying "Chicago is myopic". Whatever.

Where you live?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 3:25 PM
Urbane observer

^You seem to be comparing grand civic undertakings (some, like the 9-11 Memorial, national in scope) to a market-responsive private redevelopment project. The program for this project is simple: make a profit for the owners without undue risk or delay. To imply that there's a civic imperative to demand cutting-edge design—or to think there's even a mechanism for doing so—is simply ignorant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development