HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:59 AM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Holding a party to raise money for a wedding: it's pretty much a requirement for any wedding in MB but I've never in my life heard of someone doing it anywhere else. Btw, it's formally called a "social". EVERYONE in MB does it.
Wow, sure brings back some fond memories....

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 4:36 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
"The Leg(e)" (pronounced "ledge") - used in Manitoba.

Wrapping the cord around a mirror - also common in colder climates like MB and NW ON where plugging your car in is a daily requirement.

Holding a party to raise money for a wedding: it's pretty much a requirement for any wedding in MB but I've never in my life heard of someone doing it anywhere else. Btw, it's formally called a "social". EVERYONE in MB does it.

Yes, and they are ALWAYS a good time. You get to see people you don't see to often, and the drinks seem to never stop coming. Good times!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Capital Ex = K Days

I will never call it "Capital Ex"

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:57 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Ever notice how Edmontonians never refer to Whitemud Drive as "The Whitemud" but quite often its called the mud, or whitemud or something else.

We all call Save-On "Save-ons" or Save-On's" but never Save-On
Nope, always called it Save-On as we lived right next to one.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 6:08 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
There is no intersection of 7th and 9th.
Even if there was, no one would want to talk about it anyway.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 7:04 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Ever notice how Edmontonians never refer to Whitemud Drive as "The Whitemud" but quite often its called the mud, or whitemud or something else.

We all call Save-On "Save-ons" or Save-On's" but never Save-On

I've lived in this city for almost 4 years now, and I have never heard Whitemud Dr. be referred to in any other manner other than "The Whitemud"; this is stated on the radio, on tv news, in conversations with local residents, etc.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 8:25 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ yeah same, I still refer to it as the whitemud

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 9:38 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
-Wrapping the extension cord for your block heater around the mirror of your car when not plugged in
-referring to people from out East as "UFO's" - Ukrainians from Ontario (generally not considered a compliment)
-holding community hall parties to raise funds for friends that are getting married or going to University
The first one (extension cords) - that's pretty much a prairie-wide phenomenon. I know people in MB that do that all the time.. looks stupid as hell

the second one, I'll admit I've never heard.

the third one.. that would be the same as a 'social' in MB and SK terms, wouldn't it? I've never heard of a fundraiser for university, though.. just for getting married.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 9:43 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

As was mentioned in the Calgarianism thread, Albertans speak similar but Edmontonians speak slower than Calgarians, most notably with the hesitations. Some would say how Ed Stelmach talks exaggerates this feature.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 7:15 AM

I grew up in mcleod, and our "the mall" was always londonderry mall...And wayne gretzky drive will always be capilano to me (i hope they change it back)...And when rexall was skyreach, i just called it the coliseum, but now rexall has been around long enough i'm starting to call it rexall...I completely agree with the "jasper" one...I have had to ask people to specify whether they are going downtown or to the mountains in some very limited cases...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 12:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Wayne Gretzky Drive - "The Gretz"
Ft. Saskatchewan - "The Fort"
Sherwood Park - "The Park"
Yellowhead - "The Head"
Anthony Henday Drive - "The Henday"
Etc.....
I have never heard Wayne Gretzky Drive ever get called "The Gretz".
I've Heard "Gretzky Drive" but most people I'm around still call it Capilano Drive.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 2:23 AM

i can't believe we're on the second page of a thread on "edmontonisms" and no-one's posted "but it's a dry cold" yet.

happy new year everyone.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 5:50 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ yeah, moving to ON and coming back I heard that one everyday. From my mouth though, it was complaining about how dry it was and causing my lips and skin to crack.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 5:53 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
In Thunder Bay, that's a shag. We have billboards all over town; "Shag for Cindy and Robert!!", etc.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 1:38 AM

I'd say an Edmontonism would have to be changing the name of a short section of road, which can turn into a bit of a nightmare, especially when you factor in the surrounding communities...

Consider: You drive into St. Albert on Highway 2, in St. Albert your route becomes St. Albert Rd, then you enter Edmonton, it's Mark Messier Tr, then St. Albert Tr, then Groat Rd, then University Ave, then 82 Ave which, after 112 St becomes Whyte Ave, then Sherwood Park Freeway, and finally Wye Rd in Sherwood Park before you leave the urban area, but guess what? Now you're suddenly on Secondary Highway 630...

Sorry, but seven name changes within the same municipality seems a little excessive, and it's worse when the region does their own thing too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton