HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 1:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
ohhh I just wish we had a government dedicated to rail upgrades like that here in Canada! I am excited that the US seems to finally be realizing that rail is a potential form of passenger travel.
Don't worry... this is Obama's budget, which means it probably has a section about flight-testing for pigs as well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Don't worry... this is Obama's budget, which means it probably has a section about flight-testing for pigs as well.
Exactly. This would create good jobs, improve mobility, reduce emissions, and reduce our consumption of oil, which means that Republicans in the House of Representatives are guaranteed to oppose this.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:12 AM

both the NDP and Liberals have expressed minor interest in HSR between the two cities, so if any of the two get in it could mean some major happenings. HSR currently has some ridiculous support level of something like 80% in the country anyways, so it wouldn't be a controversial project.

back to american HSR now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 2:44 PM

The House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee is holding a hearing right now on Amtrak's budget request and looking at passenger rail reauthorization issues. The hearing is being broadcast on the Committee's website.

Amtrak’s Fiscal Year 2014 Budget: The Starting Point for Reauthorization
http://transportation.house.gov/hear...eauthorization

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 11:13 PM

I have this reoccurring dream/nightmare where the light rail system in my hometown is packed. I mean packed, where the inside our 'delightful' four steps up from platform to seat level cars reek of human sweat, and, people rush in and out shoulder to shoulder. In the dream, no one wants to ride it anymore (there are no slots for bikes, most seats have been removed, etc) as it has become slow, dirty, crowded, dangerous to enter and exit, and, infrequent.

No, no one is riding on the roof of the cars in the dream yet.

My point is that sooner or later HIGHER speed and more frequently rail service will return to the US. Perhaps sometime fairly soon-within 5 or 10 years- the discretionary income of most of us will have disappeared, and, the automobile will be discretionary.

When that happens, private railroad companies will approach the government with many solutions to increased passenger train frequency and rail network size. The railroads will realize that if changes (at that time) are not made soon, the masses will rise up angry enough to force the always paid off congress to act. Perhaps nationalizing the railroads for a starter. So, the railroad industry will work to get part of the increased railroad infrastructural pie suggesting double tracking, mixing passenger and freight tonnage on the same train, while the city governments just might (temporarily) over come their patronage system and work to get rail right-of-way through their cities.

While I would not hold my breath, I strongly believe this future scenario is likely (I assume that the US will survive 100 years in my scenarios).

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 1:38 AM
TL;DR

New Bi-Level Passenger Cars (California/Midwest)

src

I like that the control cab looks semi-decent, instead of looking like a regular endpiece with a few slapdash windows.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 4:57 AM
Show me the blueprints

Thats been on Nippon Sharyo's site for a good long time, who knows if that's what they'll actually end up looking like - hopefully not. At this point though I'm beginning to become convinced that FRA insists on hideous equipment as a national standard. It's embarrassing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 3:49 PM

After having visited London and taken rail service out to Egham and Oxford, it is embarrassing. That's horrid.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

I know I'm always beating a dead horse on these threads about comparing American rolling stock to international operators, but just one more example. While an electric EMU, the cab car could/would essentially be the same thing as a powerless rake in "push" operation. This is what you get in Morocco, yes F****** Morocco:

x

Absolutely no reason we couldn't be getting something this sharp either. This time in RUSSIA!!!

x

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 10:13 PM

When will the HSR rail Projects around the country begin and specially Californias HSR Project????????????????????

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I know I'm always beating a dead horse on these threads about comparing American rolling stock to international operators, but just one more example. While an electric EMU, the cab car could/would essentially be the same thing as a powerless rake in "push" operation. This is what you get in Morocco, yes F****** Morocco:

x

Absolutely no reason we couldn't be getting something this sharp either. This time in RUSSIA!!!

x
That Morocco train is by far one of the best I have seen in the developing world. I agree, there is no reason why the US should not be able to do something similar. What was that project implemented?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 3:38 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

AFAIK that Moroccan train is actually a Dutch design (looks like some Nederlanse Spoorwegen equipment...)

Agreed, though, that only in the US do we insist on making our passenger equipment look like auto racks with windows. For instance, this is how it's done in Australia:

Source

Ain't no reason we can't have sexy equipment like that here. Except for the FRA, which shows as much creativity to challenges as ostriches.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:48 PM

These are used in Germany. I really like them, very comfortable.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
AFAIK that Moroccan train is actually a Dutch design (looks like some Nederlanse Spoorwegen equipment...)

Agreed, though, that only in the US do we insist on making our passenger equipment look like auto racks with windows. For instance, this is how it's done in Australia:

Source

Ain't no reason we can't have sexy equipment like that here. Except for the FRA, which shows as much creativity to challenges as ostriches.
In all fairness, there is also unwillingness on the part of some taxpayers to pay for decent rail and the curious American notion that if something doesn't show a profit, there's something the matter with it. I keep waiting for the profit reports on paved streets, roads, and highways.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:24 PM
Transport Planner

people will believe anything if it conforms with the narrative that government can't do anything....at this point, just let the private sector. i donJt care how we get it, just that we do.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 7:57 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
In all fairness, there is also unwillingness on the part of some taxpayers to pay for decent rail and the curious American notion that if something doesn't show a profit, there's something the matter with it. I keep waiting for the profit reports on paved streets, roads, and highways.
Thing with roads is that their economic benefit goes beyond that of what simple numbers can show. As is the same with rail; however, it seems to be too much to ask the average citizen to believe that the economic benefits of rail are much more complex and far reaching than numbers can quantify.

It seems, really, like too much to ask anyone in this country to connect more than a few dots when considering the impact of any individual or action.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
Thing with roads is that their economic benefit goes beyond that of what simple numbers can show. As is the same with rail; however, it seems to be too much to ask the average citizen to believe that the economic benefits of rail are much more complex and far reaching than numbers can quantify.

It seems, really, like too much to ask anyone in this country to connect more than a few dots when considering the impact of any individual or action.
Thank you, you take my point exactly!

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 2:03 PM
Administrator

So refresh my memory... What's the most significant intercity passenger rail project that's actually being constructed right now in the uS?

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 2:49 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
So refresh my memory... What's the most significant intercity passenger rail project that's actually being constructed right now in the uS?
(1) St. Louis to Chicago rail corridor is being rebuilt for 110 mph service with a 30 mph increase in maximum speed. Much of the construction has been completed, although just a few miles has been tested.
(2) There are plans to upgrade the NEC between Trenton and New Brunswick, although 'm not sure construction has started it has been funded, for 165 mph with a 30 mph increase in maximum speeds for Acela trains only. All other trains would still be limited to 125 mph.
(3) LA to LV has two private enterprises wishing to reintroduce train services. One of them plans to run 79 mph trains over the existing UP tracks twice a week. Contracts with the required parties are in place. Little construction is required (trains, station tracks and platforms only). It'll be a startup service, not an expansion of existing service, so I would classify it as significant.
(4) There are plans in California, Florida, Michigan, and Texas for higher speed and high speed rail, none of these are fully funded and none have construction underway.
(5) There's always bridge replacements being done as required, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that significant, although the costs are. I would also place tunnel replacements in this same category, but I don't think any tunnel work construction has started.

Last edited by electricron; May 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
(1) St. Louis to Chicago rail corridor is being rebuilt for 110 mph service with a 30 mph increase in maximum speed. Much of the construction has been completed, although just a few miles has been tested.
(2) There are plans to upgrade the NEC between Trenton and New Brunswick, although 'm not sure construction has started it has been funded, for 165 mph with a 30 mph increase in maximum speeds for Acela trains only. All other trains would still be limited to 125 mph.
(3) LA to LV has two private enterprises wishing to reintroduce train services. One of them plans to run 79 mph trains over the existing UP tracks twice a week. Contracts with the required parties are in place. Little construction is required (trains, station tracks and platforms only). It'll be a startup service, not an expansion of existing service.
(4) There are plans in California, Florida, Michigan, and Texas for higher speed and high speed rail, none of these are fully funded and none have construction underway.
(5) There's always bridge replacements being done as required, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that significant, although the costs are. I would also place tunnel replacements in this same category, but I don't think any tunnel work construction has started.
But we really need to get moving on all these projects and others lest our national transportation "system" become the functional equivalent of unpaved roads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation