HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
Agreed. I missed the game, but checked the score the next day knowing we only needed a draw to go through my hopes were high. Punched the wall. I've completely given up on our national team, it's an absolute disgrace.

I remember when we won the Gold Cup in 2000, and drew 0-0 with Brazil in the Confederations Cup in 2001 I thought for sure the future was great for us, but one f*ck-up in qualification and we missed out on Korea/Japan the CSA axed our coach (German guy, forget his name).. dumbest in the moment firing ever, Canada is still paying for that poor decision making. Never again will I give two shits about the national team any more. Club football is better and more interesting anyways.
Agreed.

Until we have a full blown league or an MLS team in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa so that all the major cities are covered, this countries national team will be a joke.

There is literally no reason for our top talent to play for Canada. We are a joke. I don't understand how we can be SOOOO bad at mens soccer. There is no freaking excuse for us to not be at least at a mediocore level.

Bah.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
Agreed.

Until we have a full blown league or an MLS team in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa so that all the major cities are covered, this countries national team will be a joke.

There is literally no reason for our top talent to play for Canada. We are a joke. I don't understand how we can be SOOOO bad at mens soccer. There is no freaking excuse for us to not be at least at a mediocore level.

Bah.
And our best players either refuse to play or declare for a foreign country through family or work permit rules. Look at Owen Hargreaves (before injuries), or Junior Hoilett (QPR) or Jonothan DeGuzman (former Villareal, now Swansea winger). These kids are (were great) at the highest level in the world, yet refuse to play for a poorly organized Soccer Association. It's one of our national shames

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Never again will I give two shits about the national team any more. Club football is better and more interesting anyways.
I'll make sure to quote this when Canada qualifies for 2018/2022.

With Toronto and Montreal's youth academies currently it's only a matter of time until Canada starts producing decent international players on a consistent level. Because football has become the largest registered sport in the country these things take time for develop (IE the amount of time it takes someone to go from being seven years old to seventeen ). By the time Qualification rolls around for 2018 (so, 2015/2016) there should be younger Canadians stepping up. If the national program was smart they would start giving these players consideration now. Guys like McKenna and Hirschfeld are going to be of no use to you in two or three years time so why waste the space on the team for them? I am going to fall just short of demanding to see a very young team at next year's Gold Cup. Stop playing guys who are over 30.

To add to the list of players that left/refused to play for Canada, Asmir Begovic would fill a pretty big hole left on the Canadian national team.

Before Canada tries to host the World Cup they can try to host the Gold Cup (in 2015 or 2017). The stadiums don't have to be nearly as large and i'm sure Canada can put forward eight or nine stadiums above or just under 20,000.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post

With Toronto and Montreal's youth academies currently it's only a matter of time until Canada starts producing decent international players on a consistent level. Because football has become the largest registered sport in the country these things take time for develop (IE the amount of time it takes someone to go from being seven years old to seventeen ). By the time Qualification rolls around for 2018 (so, 2015/2016) there should be younger Canadians stepping up. If the national program was smart they would start giving these players consideration now. Guys like McKenna and Hirschfeld are going to be of no use to you in two or three years time so why waste the space on the team for them? I am going to fall just short of demanding to see a very young team at next year's Gold Cup. Stop playing guys who are over 30.

To add to the list of players that left/refused to play for Canada, Asmir Begovic would fill a pretty big hole left on the Canadian national team.

Before Canada tries to host the World Cup they can try to host the Gold Cup (in 2015 or 2017). The stadiums don't have to be nearly as large and i'm sure Canada can put forward eight or nine stadiums above or just under 20,000.
I believe that soccer overtook hockey as the most popular participatory sport for Canadian children sometime in the late 1970s.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:00 PM

After the kids are down running around the grass, after HS, after University. There is no factory to help bring up their skills. The CSA has zero organization and the MLS won't help them. What good is the MLS if you can't even organize the talent to feed into it?

The females get a pass because the moment they notice your good they scoop you up and plunk you in the Female system of Jr and Sr level teams. A lot of girls on the Sr team now are not that old but have made that leap to warrant the play time. And now wit the extra $$$ they are getting from sponsorships they will only get better.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
After the kids are down running around the grass, after HS, after University. There is no factory to help bring up their skills. The CSA has zero organization and the MLS won't help them. What good is the MLS if you can't even organize the talent to feed into it?

The females get a pass because the moment they notice your good they scoop you up and plunk you in the Female system of Jr and Sr level teams. A lot of girls on the Sr team now are not that old but have made that leap to warrant the play time. And now wit the extra $$$ they are getting from sponsorships they will only get better.
Don't get me wrong here - I think our women's team is great. But the truth is that there is a lot less global competition in women's than in men's. Because of machismo, sexism, outright represssion or simply out of habit... anyway if you look at the world most countries don't really take female soccer all that seriously.

On the male side, soccer development in Canada seems completely stalled and stagnant, and the competition is getting fierce as tons of countries that once were also-rans are ramping up their domestic programs big time.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:37 PM

I seriously don't think we will see a competitive Canadian MNT that has the potential to make it out of the group stage in a world cup, in our lifetimes.

We are so far away from countries who make the world cup often but can never seem to escape the groups let alone the ones that do.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe that soccer overtook hockey as the most popular participatory sport for Canadian children sometime in the late 1970s.
But lately hockey's numbers have been declining. Rapidly declining.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:55 PM

Quote:

1) Feel free, I'll be too busy following Sheffield Wednesdays pre-season stuff!

2) I'm pretty sure (from my experience at least) about 75% of kids enrolled in youth soccer are there because their parents want a wednesday evening to themselves for "maritals" not because kids are so enthused about playing the sport. If you looked at the number of young kids enrolled in the sport compared to teenagers the numbers would be extremely dis-proportionate. Where as with hockey the majority of young kids starting off are still playing well into high school. The problem is hockey is so damn expensive!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:34 PM
DRINK

Quote:
2) I'm pretty sure (from my experience at least) about 75% of kids enrolled in youth soccer are there because their parents want a wednesday evening to themselves for "maritals" not because kids are so enthused about playing the sport. If you looked at the number of young kids enrolled in the sport compared to teenagers the numbers would be extremely dis-proportionate. Where as with hockey the majority of young kids starting off are still playing well into high school. The problem is hockey is so damn expensive!
Bingo.

most parents dont have to invest any time because soccer is essentially glorified baby sitting. Meanwhile parents who have kids in traditional North American sports have to invest a ton of time and money. When you invest time and money into something you continue to pay attention to it for much longer and have far more respect for it. As a result you have professional leagues that are well supported.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
1) Feel free, I'll be too busy following Sheffield Wednesdays pre-season stuff!
Eh? That's Michael Palin's favourite side!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Eh? That's Michael Palin's favourite side!
Who the hell is Michael Palin? Lol

Edit: Simple google search explains that! Yeeeeah they've been my team since '98. Benito Carbone and Paulo Di Canio are two of my favourite players to this day. Anyone whos a glorified "Man U" Chelsea, Manchester City fan etc. disgust me. Glory hunters who feel free to watch the same teams on Sportsnet every Saturday with no reason to like other than that they win every other season. Ugh.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 3:55 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
But lately hockey's numbers have been declining. Rapidly declining.
Like most Canadian sports. The only domestic sport that seems to be holding its own is basketball. Football, baseball, and hockey are all in steady decline. Hopefully, the next generation of Canadians will take a keener interest in their own culture.

It will be a sad day when we have to explain to our grand kids that we once had a strong national sporting culture that got tossed to the curb and supplanted by foreign sports. I have nothing against soccer, cricket, rugby, etc. but we all know what happens when one's own culture gets discarded/treated with indifference. There's a lesson to be learned from the experience of the First Nations people.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:22 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Like most Canadian sports. The only domestic sport that seems to be holding its own is basketball. Football, baseball, and hockey are all in steady decline. Hopefully, the next generation of Canadians will take a keener interest in their own culture.

It will be a sad day when we have to explain to our grand kids that we once had a strong national sporting culture that got tossed to the curb and supplanted by foreign sports. I have nothing against soccer, cricket, rugby, etc. but we all know what happens when one's own culture gets discarded/treated with indifference. There's a lesson to be learned from the experience of the First Nations people.
how exactly are basketball, football, baseball and hockey "national sporting culture" while soccer, cricket, rugby, etc, arent?

were ANY of those invented in Canada?

its the kind of silly jingoistic approach I see from some north americans towards the metric measurement system.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post

its the kind of silly jingoistic approach I see from some north americans towards the metric measurement system.
Hey we switched 4 decades ago, its the yanks who refuse to modernize

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:32 AM

Quote:
how exactly are basketball, football, baseball and hockey "national sporting culture" while soccer, cricket, rugby, etc, arent?
Quite simply because they are traditionally the 4 most popular North American sports that developed in Canada and the United States. While the other sports have a long history of participation in Canada as well, they never gained as much popularity (until soccer recently) and haven't become as ingrained in our sporting culture as the big 4.

Quote:
were ANY of those invented in Canada?
Yes, hockey was invented in Canada and the others developed jointly in Canada and the U.S. Each of these sports (with the exception of Basketball) can also trace lineage to similar games played in the British Isles in the 1800s.

- Interestingly enough, American and Canadian football codes descend from a game played between McGill and Harvard universities in 1874:

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Wiki
In 1874, USA's Harvard University hosted Canada's McGill University to play the new game derived from Rugby football in a home and home series. When the Canadians arrived several days early, in order to take advantage of the trip to see Boston and the surrounding areas, they held daily practices. During this time the Americans were surprised to see the Canadians kick, chase, and then run with the ball. Picking up and running with the ball violated a basic rule of the American game of the day; when the US captain (Henry Grant) pointed this out to the captain of the Canadian team (David Roger) the reply was simple: Running with the ball is a core part of the Canadian game. When the American asked which game the Canadians played, David replied "Rugby". After some negotiation it was decided to play a game with half and half Canadian/US rules. Thus many of the similarities and differences between the Canadian and American games indeed came out of this original home and home series where each home team set the rules
- The origins of Baseball are less clear, but it descends from the English game of rounders, and cricket by extension. The first recorded baseball game took place in Beachville, Ontario in 1838 however the sport was likely a mainly American innovation that was imported into Canada.

- Basketball was invented in 1891 by Canadian James Naismith, at Springfield College YMCA in Massachusetts. The game spread throughout North America via the network of YMCAs located across Canada and the U.S.

Link

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 10:24 PM
National Capital Region

Summary of the current situation for our 2026 bid
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/glob...-cup-bid-2026/

FIFA is encouraging a USA 2026 bid. The US previously said unless rules changed, they weren't interested in bidding after the Qatar fiasco
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...rld-cup-070414

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada