HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Yes, but it was really more of a hair brain notion the he and a couple of his croonies dreamed up. It was batted down swiftly. He proposed to shut down Sky Harbor and build a new international airport somewhere just south of Maricopa. In place of where the airport is now, he suggested a theme park along with multi-use office, retail, and condos on the banks of the Salt River. This was about 10 years ago.
That was in the earlier stages of when DiCiccio and his buddies were making financial investments into land in the Gila River Reservation area and beyond. Competing interests with the City of Phoenix he purportedly represented be damned and all.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
That was in the earlier stages of when DiCiccio and his buddies were making financial investments into land in the Gila River Reservation area and beyond. Competing interests with the City of Phoenix he purportedly represented be damned and all.
I'm old enough to remember that the idea of Sky Harbor being moved to Casa Grande started back in the mid to late 80's. Maybe resurrected 10 years ago but the genesis was way earlier.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I'm old enough to remember that the idea of Sky Harbor being moved to Casa Grande started back in the mid to late 80's. Maybe resurrected 10 years ago but the genesis was way earlier.
I remember hearing circa 1990 about an idea to create a Phoenix-Tucson International Airport near Coolidge. The model seemed to be similar to Denver International Airport in terms of a big, modern airport far removed from the city center. A few year later, DIA opened with a lot of problems and complaints, so that might have taken some momentum away from the idea.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I'm really old, so I remember that as well.

Was just pointing out when and why he and others pimped off that idea down the road. His self-serving ways haven't actually manifested in any original fashion.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 4:15 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...nt/3502380002/

They are going to include lower rate apartments.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 4:29 PM
self-important urbanista

^Also from that article, it was Councilwoman Mendoza who cast the fourth vote against the project. That's not surprising. She used to be Nowakowski's chief of staff and they often vote the same way.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 5:01 PM

Just read an article on Newtimes. They have to break ground by mid-April 2021, and be completed in 42 months.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 5:56 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post

Wow, 15? May as well start the lottery on those.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:19 PM
High Voltage

So now council has approved it, what's left? Plan review and approval or just the permitting? 2021 is still aways off, I know. It just want them all start tomorrow!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
So now council has approved it, what's left? Plan review and approval or just the permitting? 2021 is still aways off, I know. It just want them all start tomorrow!
The Newtimes article said they had 8 months to enter into an agreement with the city.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:26 PM

For anyone that didn't get to go to the council meeting and wants to watch:

Video Link

Skip to around 54:55 for an appearance in support of the project from our girl Greta.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:33 PM
self-important urbanista

^I never thought I'd see Greta Rogers speak in favor of anything. This is astonishing. She's usually anti-everything.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
^I never thought I'd see Greta Rogers speak in favor of anything. This is astonishing. She's usually anti-everything.
I hate how the local media continues to use her as the anti-spokesman towards the Talking Stick renovations. I seen an article the other day on it. She's since recanted her position on the renovation and is actually in favor of it now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I hate how the local media continues to use her as the anti-spokesman towards the Talking Stick renovations. I seen an article the other day on it. She's since recanted her position on the renovation and is actually in favor of it now.
Yeah, I think she probably wanted to get her pound of flesh from Sarver, and her voicing the frustration of Suns fans is the reason she got some local and national attention. My recollection of her statement is that it was less about municipal finance/governance and more about just taking a dig at Sarver and voicing the frustration of Suns fans.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:

Anyone else catch how city is going to put out another RFP for workforce residential to replace a 2 story garden apartment development with a 'multistory' development?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
I remember hearing circa 1990 about an idea to create a Phoenix-Tucson International Airport near Coolidge. The model seemed to be similar to Denver International Airport in terms of a big, modern airport far removed from the city center. A few year later, DIA opened with a lot of problems and complaints, so that might have taken some momentum away from the idea.
IIRC - instead of building PHX/TUC International they would tear down terminals 2 & 3 and build one 'mega terminal' in its place - and add the 4th runway. Fast forward to current times - you can see that only terminal 2 is getting removed and runway 4 is no longer being discussed. Seems that Williams/Gateway is where they want to put some development focus in terms of cargo vs people.

Right now would just be nice to have more direct flights from other airlines other than American & Southwest.

Would be EXTREMELY annoying to have to drive 90 minutes to get to the airport from the north valley...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Anyone else catch how city is going to put out another RFP for workforce residential to replace a 2 story garden apartment development with a 'multistory' development?
I noticed it, but just so little information, decided not to post anything on it. Wonder what they are looking for in the RFP as for as number of units, etc.?

Quote:
IIRC - instead of building PHX/TUC International they would tear down terminals 2 & 3 and build one 'mega terminal' in its place - and add the 4th runway. Fast forward to current times - you can see that only terminal 2 is getting removed and runway 4 is no longer being discussed. Seems that Williams/Gateway is where they want to put some development focus in terms of cargo vs people.

Right now would just be nice to have more direct flights from other airlines other than American & Southwest.

Would be EXTREMELY annoying to have to drive 90 minutes to get to the airport from the north valley...
I've always wondered why Sky Harbor didn't reconfigure the runways to run NE to SW back in the day? Doing so would avoided flight paths over both Downtown Phoenix and Downtown Tempe and everybody would be happy. At least that would have seemed more plausible than creating a completely new airport out in the middle of nowhere

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post

Quote:
It definitely was a hot topic for humor on late night tee vee shows.

Different circumstances though; Denver metro density is mostly along I-25 or generally a north-south direction. DIA is actually 'centrally' located and very accessible from the whole of the metro area. Sky Harbor is ideally situated for metro Phoenix (and doesn't have the operational and growth issues that Stapleton had). It would have been a total clustermess to move Sky Harbor way out towards the south (east or west). It's centrally located right where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Wow, 15? May as well start the lottery on those.
Maybe if they were to sell (enough) tickets they could add 15 more units.

Quote:
Fast forward to current times - you can see that only terminal 2 is getting removed and runway 4 is no longer being discussed. Seems that Williams/Gateway is where they want to put some development focus in terms of cargo vs people.

Have good friend who lives in north Phoenix (near Tatum and Dynamite) and just returned from visiting friends in Arkansas who used Williams/Gateway AP. I guess she saved significant money. But since she left around 4:00 am the drive was easy as was parking etc.

I'm always curious why Denver/DIA has so many damn runways compared to Sky Harbor - seven with plans for more? Runways, at least at his point in time are expensive to build. If they don't need four no reason to build it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I noticed also, but like Ronnie thought there wasn't enough Info.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I noticed also, but like Ronnie thought there wasn't enough Info.
In the article, it mentioned up to 400 units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest