HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Anyone know what is being built on the old Nor-west Motel site.
Welcome to the forums.

Emma Place is replacing the Nor'West Motel. This six storey apartment building is by the same developer who built Horizon Place in Dieppe, and there certainly is a similarity between these two buildings, although Emma Place isn't quite as large.

In the future, you will find that most Moncton construction projects are discussed in neighbourhood specific threads. If a project is felt notable enough, it will get it's own thread. There is also a retail specific thread.

Cheers!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agenda for the June PAC meeting for the city of Moncton:

https://www.moncton.ca/lets-do-busin...sory-committee

Nothing too major, mostly minor items............

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here is an interactive map showing all the infrastructure work planned for the City of Moncton in 2019. It's an interesting resource!

http://moncton.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...KJkWFBEE-iJBPY
I don't see the Wheeler blvd construction at "Rabbit Brook" on there. Does anybody know what that's all about?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 11:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitites View Post
I don't see the Wheeler blvd construction at "Rabbit Brook" on there. Does anybody know what that's all about?
Probably because that's a provincial responsibility.

Big culvert replacement. The project will last into the fall.........

Welcome to the forums BTW

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 11:51 AM

Thank You for the welcome and quick response. Hope they are going to take this opportunity to raise the road by a couple of feet. Spring melt at high tide this year with a rain storm had water pretty close to the edge.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forums.

Emma Place is replacing the Nor'West Motel. This six storey apartment building is by the same developer who built Horizon Place in Dieppe, and there certainly is a similarity between these two buildings, although Emma Place isn't quite as large.

In the future, you will find that most Moncton construction projects are discussed in neighbourhood specific threads. If a project is felt notable enough, it will get it's own thread. There is also a retail specific thread.

Cheers!
Just took this picture from the Sobey's parking lot.
Across the street is a stripped lot waiting for construction to begin.
They should have purchased and tore down that old brick apartment eyesore too.

Last edited by Whitites; Jun 15, 2019 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
The city has published a list of Infrastructure Projects for this year.
Infrastructure Projects 2019
Gordon/Queen is complete. They left the Weldon intersection as is, since it will have to be dug up soon for the storm sewer + sewer + paving job.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:23 PM

Just an FYI, the Snowbirds are doing a flyby in Moncton today at 2:45pm in honor of the slain RCMP officers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Just an FYI, the Snowbirds are doing a flyby in Moncton today at 2:45pm in honor of the slain RCMP officers.
Middle of the afternoon on a workday Tuesday, Should be good to startle a few tourists and frighten some seagulls. Unfortunately no one else will notice.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Missed it!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:08 AM

It actually drew surprisingly many people along both sides of the river.
It was a very short appearance though.
The Snowbirds are putting on their full show this evening at the Debert NS airport if anyone is interested in taking a drive. I'm going down. I know this is off-topic but thought I'd mention it since this evening's air show has not been well advertised. Google "Snowbirds Over Debert" for details. We now return to our previously scheduled broadcast.....

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:51 PM

Anyone have a strong sense/opinion on whether there are enough apartments and homes being developed in Greater Moncton to keep up with residential demand or whether things are going to get worse before they get better?

There are currently 1,255 homes on MLS and not that much for apartments on Kijiji.

Here's CMHC's most current analysis of the market (2nd Quarter, 2019 - it’s only a page long): https://eppdscrmssa01.blob.core.wind...019-q02-en.pdf

Also for context, 3Plus is shooting for 2% yearly population growth per year in their 2018-2022 plan: https://huddle.today/greater-moncton...xt-five-years/

If I had to guess, there will be no shortage of high-end condos and apartments (small market, lots of new supply), many more affordable apartments are also going up and they might keep up with demand (as many as a dozen 4+ storey buildings currently going up?), but there a relatively few subdivisions developing quickly in Moncton, Riverview, or Dieppe (I use the satellite view in Google Maps to see where new streets are being dug up to keep track of subdivisions, because they don’t get much coverage here.).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBourque View Post
If I had to guess, there will be no shortage of high-end condos and apartments (small market, lots of new supply), many more affordable apartments are also going up and they might keep up with demand (as many as a dozen 4+ storey buildings currently going up?), but there a relatively few subdivisions developing quickly in Moncton, Riverview, or Dieppe (I use the satellite view in Google Maps to see where new streets are being dug up to keep track of subdivisions, because they don’t get much coverage here.).
There is no question that most of the new (larger) apartment buildings currently under construction in Moncton are mid to high end. I wonder if a driver of this isn't the 1100 jobs associated with the TD Bank Corporate Offices. Many of these people have CPA designations and will be moving to the community from elsewhere.

This of course does not solve the problem of lower income people seeking accommodations or of homelessness in general. It is frankly appalling that there is a tent city in Moncton. Is there a particular reason why Moncton seems to be a magnet for the homeless? They can't be migrating here because of our climate........

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:08 PM

Well from the homeless people of the northern part I have spoken too, which is quite a few, climate is a factor, they migrate to the south during the winter for the warmer climate and also for the services. Climate in the north is way too harsh to stay outside and the services are very limited. So climate and services drives them to Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Is there a particular reason why Moncton seems to be a magnet for the homeless? They can't be migrating here because of our climate........
Over the years I have asked this question of a federal parolee and later asked a homeless person. They both had the same answer, generally, that Moncton is doing well so there's a chance they can catch the rising tide, and if not, at least the city has the kinds of services that would allow them to get by.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
This of course does not solve the problem of lower income people seeking accommodations or of homelessness in general. It is frankly appalling that there is a tent city in Moncton. Is there a particular reason why Moncton seems to be a magnet for the homeless? They can't be migrating here because of our climate........
CBC reported on this very topic a few weeks ago. There are several shelters and kitchens in Moncton with a new shelter opening soon. According to several people interviewed at a shelter, this is a significant incentive for indigent populations of smaller communities in NB to move to the city. Not a terribly bad thing as cities generally have greater resources and are more able to help these people out and I’d wager any growing city would encounter a similar phenomenon with its surrounding poorer hinterland. The silver lining is that recent investments also include outreach programs to help this segment of the population overcome the hurdles preventing them from finding permanent housing.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
There is no question that most of the new (larger) apartment buildings currently under construction in Moncton are mid to high end. I wonder if a driver of this isn't the 1100 jobs associated with the TD Bank Corporate Offices. Many of these people have CPA designations and will be moving to the community from elsewhere.

Good points.

I think the "more affordable" category I mentioned is really two things - they're the appartments for people who simply aren't higher-end and they're also the appartments for people who can't even or can barely afford an appartment.

Both are currently under-served, but the latter is in especially bad shape since it's a more vulnerable group.

Homelessness/poverty exists everywhere, but it takes on particularly visible forms in cities - like panhandling and the tent city.

In rural NB, people live in cabins in the woods or severly dilapidated housing, so it can go unnoticed. Sometimes houses that look abandoned are actually inhabited.

In terms of why Moncton, I can think of two things. If everywhere has some poverty, Moncton wouldn't be an exception - Moncton would have poor people from Moncton just like everywhere else does. But also, cities generally attract people from every income level in the nearby areas who are looking for housing, opportunity, services, (in some cases drugs), etc. - so it would make a lot of sense for someone who is homeless or poor from PEI, the parts of NS that are closer to Moncton than Halifax, and most of NB, to end up in Moncton if they're having a hard time where they are.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Well from the homeless people of the northern part I have spoken too, which is quite a few, climate is a factor, they migrate to the south during the winter for the warmer climate and also for the services. Climate in the north is way too harsh to stay outside and the services are very limited. So climate and services drives them to Moncton.
Have you been to Moncton in January?

I’m partially being facetious... but I never thought I’d hear of people moving to Moncton because of our mild winters.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:26 PM

I wonder if the closure of several boarding houses in the city isn't magnifying the issue. The homeless issue was relatively unnoticed even 2 years ago, but since the city has begun tearing down the run down poorly maintained and unsanitary buildings in the city there has been an influx of homelessness.
I don't think the two situations are unrelated.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:37 PM

Moncton and Dieppe are moving ahead with plans to implement a hotel levy of 3.5%. The plan is to use the money to create a third-party regional tourism promotion agency. Riverview has no hotels (!), so they are not introducing a similar levy yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...rism-1.5190453

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces