HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 8:23 PM

Angle from the park

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 8:31 PM

I love it. It will look great from the park!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 2:24 AM

Nov.14 '15, my pics

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 3:20 AM

Are these two different projects being posted on the same thread?

The pictures above look nothing like the renders above them...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 3:49 AM

They are linked together. It was discussed a page or two back

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Are these two different projects being posted on the same thread?

Yes.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 4:39 AM

Okay, cool, thanks for that.

This thread kept on confusing me, haha.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 9:51 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yes!! This should become the norm

I wish they had gone the extra mile and integrated the Brookland Court building into something similar to the Hotel Georgia redevelopment, keeping most of the structure intact while restoring and seismically upgrading. The Brookland can use some sprucing up, they would also gain the alley space which seems redundant with the park now in place.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I wish they had gone the extra mile and integrated the Brookland Court building into something similar to the Hotel Georgia redevelopment, keeping most of the structure intact while restoring and seismically upgrading. The Brookland can use some sprucing up, they would also gain the alley space which seems redundant with the park now in place.
The Brookland Court is on a separate parcel and the alley is being used for vehicle access to the underground...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 1:08 AM

Looks good with the dark tone. I think the dimensions are a bit off in that rendering, as it will be as the towers on left. Another note is how horrible photos they sometimes use to plant renders in. That looks like taken with someone's cell phone...

This location could also take a taller tower, as the position to the park makes it a landmark building that should really stand out. Very nice addition, nonetheless and that area is getting denser with the other tower going up in the corner to the left.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 3:43 AM

Hate the new design. The old honeycomb had depth and actually shaded the facade. This diamond wallpaper looks like the kind of shit they do for proposals in Toronto. As with bold old and new designs, not liking the 2-building-designs-in-one approach, yet again.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I don't like the schizo-look to the final product. Prefers the old design, or for the new design, they should at least have both sides look similar.
The schizo look seems to be a preferred means of dividing the bulk of a large building.

See: Georgia Residences, One Burrard Place, Telus Garden, etc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
This location could also take a taller tower, as the position to the park makes it a landmark building that should really stand out. Very nice addition, nonetheless and that area is getting denser with the other tower going up in the corner to the left.
You would have incurred the wrath of the New Yaletown Resident's Association. I think their total number of members can be counted by the fingers, but they were so vocal that they took the City to court and almost made this project, together with the new subsidised building across the street, impossible to proceed. They must be residents of the immediate condos nearby and didn't want their views blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Hate the new design. The old honeycomb had depth and actually shaded the facade. This diamond wallpaper looks like the kind of shit they do for proposals in Toronto. As with bold old and new designs, not liking the 2-building-designs-in-one approach, yet again.
I concur! Don't quite hate it but certainly not impressed by it, unlike the older design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The schizo look seems to be a preferred means of dividing the bulk of a large building.

See: Georgia Residences, One Burrard Place, Telus Garden, etc.
What's funny is that the many Vancouver towers are not even that girthy to be "split up" in the first place. I think schizo designs work better for shorter bulkier buildings, such as the Bay Centre in Victoria, or even the downtown court building.

For this project, it seems unfortunate that they have the boring part facing west, which is the most visible part from the park. The criss-cross section is facing east (not so visible from the park). If they have both sides done with the criss-cross pattern, and split with the indented groove as per current design, I think not only is the bulk of the building sectioned up as envisioned, but the overall design will also become more coherent, thus worthy to be called a Yaletown/downtown landmark.

Last edited by Vin; Nov 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 10:26 PM

Could the "excess" of balconies on the west side be required to meet zoning requirements (and also be somewhat incompatible with the diagrid)?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Don't quite hate it but certainly not impressed by it, unlike the older design.
Word is the hexagon system was not operationally feasible for a number of reasons, most prominently the snow loading issues and cost/maintenance of heating the exoskeleton.

Either way I really like the new design, getting strong Foster vibe for sure. Though I liked the octagon look, the new design seems much cleaner and allows for some interesting points at the top of the tower. Very Hearst Tower in Manhattan.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 12:31 AM

Snow loading issues... in Downtown Vancouver?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 12:38 AM

In the odd event that it does snow the snow is often wet and very heavy. It doesn't happen often but it only needs one big dump to be an issue.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Snow loading issues... in Downtown Vancouver?
I know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
In the odd event that it does snow the snow is often wet and very heavy. It doesn't happen often but it only needs one big dump to be an issue.

That's a non-issue and somehow I don't quite buy into the argument. All they needed to alter was to make all the horizontal ledges of the hexagons narrow, and snow would just slide off the slanted parts. Simple.

I still think the former design is way better. The new one is just watered-down, in my opinion, but then again, that is nothing new in this town.

Quote:
NICE!
New version (website address says Dec 2013):
(Note that the top NE corner is not cut away for the view cone - it looks stepped back and angled instead (more elegant)
(but closer to the neighbouring co-op across the alley))

http://www.gblarchitects.com/work/1111-richards-street/

http://www.gblarchitects.com/work/1111-richards-street/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 9:52 PM

I could see the issues with the hexagonal shapes -
- snow loading on the horizontal members, and shallow slopes causing more snow accumulation on weakly supported areas
- I could also see a pigeon poop problem too (the diagrid doesn't look bird-friendly)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
I could see the issues with the hexagonal shapes -
- snow loading on the horizontal members, and shallow slopes causing more snow accumulation on weakly supported areas
- I could also see a pigeon poop problem too (the diagrid doesn't look bird-friendly)
Good points.

Also, in response to Vin, if you make the hexagon ledges narrower you reduce the solar shading ability of the fins, therefore rendering them functionally irrelevant, and just a tacked on gimmick. This way the fins can function as a intended by reducing solar gain while still not accumulating snow/pidgeon poop/leaves etc...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver