HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

The extreme bright light is in-cloud lightning, illuminating the sky as well. Upon investigating the photo, I do see the tornado at left, with my funnel still visible over Suntrust Plaza. This storm had multiple rotation points within the hook echo regiong, which is not odd, but is hard to capture.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlMidtowner View Post
I saw that photo. Its a fake photo. None of the buildings in the photo are of Atlanta and also the tornado happened around 9:30 and that photo still had daylight.
I was actually outside walking home from a restaurant in Midtown when the tornado hit. The wind was so strong on the corner of Juniper and 13th that the umbrella I was holding was ripped to shreds and a I was totally soaked!! When I left the restaurant. I saw lightning in the distant. After two minutes walking, I was in the superwindy thunderstorm with really heavy rain.
Could somoeone post the correct photo. It is a truly amazing shot.

I admit, the photo I was referring to was a photo that came up when you googled Atlanta Tornado on the night of the tornado. Based on the photo, I actually had a relative call me. It was a obvious cut and paste photo. I just received an email from a friend that has the photo of the tornado, I suppose from 11alive. It looks like a photo taken from Atlantic Station or somewhere on the westside. You can see the Spire on the far left of the photo.
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Your post is the first accusation I've heard about the photo being a fake. The buildings shown most certainly are of Atlanta, and are easily recognized by their shapes and orientations as viewed from the north. And the light in the photo is not too unusual for a cloudy night, as the bright city lights tend to reflect off the low clouds.

11 Alive meteorologist Paul Ossmann has a blog on the station's website (http://www.11alive.com/weather/colum...storyid=113061)
which specifically references photographer Shane Durrance's now-famous picture, with no question of its authenticity.
That's Atlanta alright! Wow, what a pic. Blow it up, one for the musuem. Anyone who says this pic is fake must not be looking at THIS pic.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
The extreme bright light is in-cloud lightning, illuminating the sky as well. Upon investigating the photo, I do see the tornado at left, with my funnel still visible over Suntrust Plaza. This storm had multiple rotation points within the hook echo regiong, which is not odd, but is hard to capture.
I don't think that's the funnel over Suntrust Plaza... judging by the track of the tornado, the funnel never would've appeared to be in that position from that vantage point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlMidtowner View Post
Could somoeone post the correct photo. It is a truly amazing shot.

I admit, the photo I was referring to was a photo that came up when you googled Atlanta Tornado on the night of the tornado. Based on the photo, I actually had a relative call me. It was a obvious cut and paste photo. I just received an email from a friend that has the photo of the tornado, I suppose from 11alive. It looks like a photo taken from Atlantic Station or somewhere on the westside. You can see the Spire on the far left of the photo.
The photo doesn't go far enough to the left to see Spire... that's the AT&T Building.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 6:14 PM

It isn't necessarily the track of the tornado itsself. I have seen a few examples of what is called a satellite vortex. This is a different rotating area, imbedded within the overall mesocyclone, and is usually(in 3 i've seen), west or north of the tornado. If you find the OKC F-5 from 1999 track map, there were 3 satellite tornadoes along its track. It isn't rare, but the radar images, velocities, and 3-D looks at it, that it is highly likely that there was 1 tornado, with another funnel, which I do see. If not, then that darn cloud is a perfect cone-shape, freckin tease if it isn't one.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 6:39 PM

it's a scary picture regardless.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
It isn't necessarily the track of the tornado itsself. I have seen a few examples of what is called a satellite vortex. This is a different rotating area, imbedded within the overall mesocyclone, and is usually(in 3 i've seen), west or north of the tornado. If you find the OKC F-5 from 1999 track map, there were 3 satellite tornadoes along its track. It isn't rare, but the radar images, velocities, and 3-D looks at it, that it is highly likely that there was 1 tornado, with another funnel, which I do see. If not, then that darn cloud is a perfect cone-shape, freckin tease if it isn't one.
One of the local news stations showed 3-D images of some of the storms passing through Georgia on Saturday and they looked a lot like the cloud formation in the pic. Its amazing how much weather technology has advanced.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
Sustainable urbanism

These were emailed to me.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmccleod View Post
These were emailed to me.

These are pretty freaking looking and awesome

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:57 PM
Closed account

I hate this happend, I love Atlanta, how do things look now?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 5:01 PM

Wow, thats both frightening and awe-inspiring to see the might of Nature's fury.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta