HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 2:30 AM
Registered Luser

I don't find the quality of Timmy's donuts to have declined at all since the move to frozen dough, but I am genuinely unhappy with the fact that after the purchase by Wendy's and the subsequent streamlining of the menu they stopped making cakes and pies. A slice of Timmy's chocolate cake was sublime.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 2:48 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconadian View Post
Its because they have awesome coffee

I'm guessing you're not a coffee drinker so you can't understand why so many people like Tim Hortons.
I'm a coffee drinker, but find nothing special about their coffee. To frequent Timmy's in such a coffee-rich city like Vancouver makes no sense to me.

''I'm amazed at it's continued popularity though - I was in Edson Alberta a few weeks ago and on a sunny day, cars were waiting 20+ minutes in the drive-thru lineup. At Waterfront Centre on a weekday morning people will wait 10+ minutes in line.''-phesto

Hence my cult comment. I've seen that happen in Kelowna too. They had to widen a road leading up to a Tim Horton's because the traffic was spilling on to the highway.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 4:18 AM

yes saw that sign too - those spaces seem so small and awkward...

so anyway later in the night i went to starbucks and got a chai and it ended up being free no idea why she just made and it said don't worry about it - I guess because it took a few minutes to get the order and than a line up formed behind me and she was alone and didn't want to work the till and make drinks

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:04 PM

Sconadian what in the world are you talking about? Tim Hortons coffee is average at best. You live in one of the best cities in the world to grab a coffee and you go to some shit chain out of Hamilton? You gotta get out there and try some indipendent coffee houses, you'll never go back.

Also tim horton's donuts are terrible IMO. Lee's donuts in Granville market... now theres a donut!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:14 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Sconadian what in the world are you talking about? Tim Hortons coffee is average at best. You live in one of the best cities in the world to grab a coffee and you go to some shit chain out of Hamilton? You gotta get out there and try some indipendent coffee houses, you'll never go back.

Also tim horton's donuts are terrible IMO. Lee's donuts in Granville market... now theres a donut!
Lee's ? meh... Honey's honey-dip donut in Deep Cove. Simplicity at its finest.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:06 PM

Really? well I will have to give that a try.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:27 PM

I always found the cult like status of Tim Horton's a bit strange. I think it makes sense if you live in some bland suburb in Ontario where your coffee options are limited and you're trying to be patriotic by patronizing a Canadian owned chain.

But it makes no sense in Vancouver where there are plenty of small non-chain Canadian owned places selling good coffee. On top of that, all the local chains like Blenz, Bean Around, Cafe Artigiano, are much better anyway.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
I always found the cult like status of Tim Horton's a bit strange. I think it makes sense if you live in some bland suburb in Ontario where your coffee options are limited and you're trying to be patriotic by patronizing a Canadian owned chain.

But it makes no sense in Vancouver where there are plenty of small non-chain Canadian owned places selling good coffee. On top of that, all the local chains like Blenz, Bean Around, Cafe Artigiano, are much better anyway.
It is so ingrained in Canadians that they have to be hockey-loving, Tim Horton loving, Molson Canadian loving, stupid antic loving people.

That's what the commercials tell us. Without that you're not Canadian!

I like 2 out of 4 (the first 2)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

I consider myself a Coffee connoisseur, and let me tell you Vancouver isn't one of the best coffee cities in the world. lol Where did you even get that idea? This isn't Seattle, nor is it any city in Europe. Hell, South America has a lot of coffee cities better than ours.

I've tried a lot of these one off coffee houses and for a person that likes his coffee with just 1 cream like myself, none of them have wowed me. I'll admit places like Bean Around the World or Cafe Artigiano have better coffee than Tim Hortons, but not by much. Tim Hortons coffee is damn good.

The other reason Tim Hortons is so great is because it's convenient. Name me one other place that I can pick up a coffee through a drive thru in the morning not called Starbucks (hate their coffee).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:56 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I love Timmy's.
I know it's not real coffee but their double double product sure is tasty when it's hot. When your craving a real coffee Timmy's won't do, but when you've been outside in the cold for a bit, nothing feels/tastes quite like a timmy's double double.

Not a fan of their donuts but their soups and sandwichs are way better then the typical fast food joint. Plus you can wear your toque inside and not feel out of place, and there's always Roll up the Rim to Win.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 8:14 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I've never understood the cult of Tim Hortons in Canada. I don't find it special in any shape, way or form. I do like their bottle orange juice, but honestly, I like most 100% pure orange juice, so that alone doesn't make them very unique.
I think it's pretty much the fact that it's the cheapest option out there for a coffee shop. At least now that most Robin's or any other option has disappeared. There's like 30 of them in the St. John's metro area. Pretty much can't drive four blocks without seeing one. I think I need to draw a map some day and see where the coverage is lacking.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 10:37 PM

I think Tim's coffee is pretty undrinkable. I usually go to Starbucks because it's familiar and convenient, although it isn't wonderful either.

But what *is* wonderful are those Tim's breakfast sandwich!! Mmm, hands down, they win the breakfast sandwich category. I'd absolutely wait 10 minutes in line for one of those.

Ice caps are pretty good too and very reasonably priced. The donuts are on par with its coffee. I actually like Safeway best for their donuts - usually fresh and fluffy. Tim's donuts are too heavy. Uck.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I love Timmy's.
I know it's not real coffee but their double double product sure is tasty when it's hot. When your craving a real coffee Timmy's won't do, but when you've been outside in the cold for a bit, nothing feels/tastes quite like a timmy's double double.
Exactly. Actually, the double-double is my coffee of choice when I'm hungover because it is so sweet and watered down that it's a little easier to swallow than most other coffee. But other than that I avoid it (and the lineups) like the plague.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 11:52 PM

Tim Hortons coffee is almost as good as Bean Around The World and Cafe Artigiano??? lol.... I am UTTERLY FLABBERGASTED by that statement... Even McDonalds beats Timmy's vomit hands down.

I'll agree with the Safeway donut comment. They still make them fresh daily, so I guess that is the difference. Their cookies are much better as well. Even though the rest of their groceries are greatly overpriced. Good sales though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 9:08 AM

I do like Tim Horton's coffee for the same reason I still sometimes eat at McDonald - nostalgia. On a good day, TH coffee is good to pretty good but I find it's really hit and miss. Somedays I get a coffee that just tastes....weird. As far as the food there goes, there sandwiches aren't too bad and when the donuts are fresh, they can be good too. But I swear NEVER to order another doughnut with chocolate icing on the top to go as all the chocolate icing just sticks to the inside of the damn bag!
But yeah, TH is one of the cheapest places to get coffee and they give me a discount for a travel mug, unlike the many of the coffee places I've been to in the city (Waves, I'm looking at you!)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 8:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Tim Horton's soup and sandwiches are pretty good. I've never found the coffee to be anything special and I tend not to drink it with much, if anything, added.

Usually for me the problem with hot chocolate is that they put way too much sugar in. Basically it serves as a drink for kids and people who find coffee too strong.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 4:26 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
But I swear NEVER to order another doughnut with chocolate icing on the top to go as all the chocolate icing just sticks to the inside of the damn bag!

BINGO! This has been my biggest gripe with Tim Hortons for a long time now. Perhaps their best donut -- the maple glaze -- is also most susceptible to icing destruction due to, as you put it, "the damn bag"!

Doesn't Tim Hortons have access to a few engineers or mad scientists who can create a stick-free donut bag? I swear we should start a campaign to end this... Are we the only Canadians who are irritated by this?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 4:30 PM

They could wrap each doughnut individually in a papery thing like the Japanese do.

But then they'd up the price of the doughnuts by like 10 cents and we would have riots... again.

Yes, our politicians can do whatever and Canadians will not speak out, but RAISE THE PRICES AT TIMMY HO'S AND WE WILL RESPOND!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:10 PM

as much as a i hate to admit it timmys has gone down a bit
not enough to say fuck you to it but if they keep it up i'm sure there just gonna become like mcdicks hell there already on there way cause every where in surrey where theres a mcdicks sure enough theres a timmys not far

although i cant say no more to timmys just yet its always been a great place to. there have been so many times where i'll go there get an ice capp or hot smoothie and maybe a chilli some times and just hang out there for hours with no friends
i've never been hassled for just sitting there for hours with nothing plus there 24 hours sit ins dont have many place like that around surrey

plus i find great place to look good when taking girls for something little since they dont look anything like mcdicks or other crappy fast food places

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 9:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconadian View Post
I consider myself a Coffee connoisseur...
... Tim Hortons coffee is damn good.

What a complete tool. buh bye, Mr. Xenoscone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining