HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:56 AM

I know I'm dating myself by asking this, but ... whatever happened to "Le Crocodile" on Thurlow. Very good, very French, rather classy.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I know I'm dating myself by asking this, but ... whatever happened to "Le Crocodile" on Thurlow. Very good, very French, rather classy.
Still there, and by most accounts still very good. Been meaning to go....

http://dinehere.ca/vancouver/le-crocodile

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
Still there, and by most accounts still very good. Been meaning to go....

http://dinehere.ca/vancouver/le-crocodile

So great to read such generally rave reviews. Thanks for sharing that, Vanlaw! Brings back good memories of my earlier life in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 9:25 AM

Talking with the staff, they weren't optimistic about them reopening...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It's on Smithe, between Burrard and Thurlow, right next to IGA.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
hope capones closes, good riddance. one of the worst restaurant experiences of my life.
you hope a business closes because you had one bad experience? no concern for staff who lose their jobs or owners who have put their money and their heart into a place? sad statement.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 12:19 AM
testify

i was bummed that the city temple of shanghai closed down on main street around 22nd. back in the yan-yun days of my youth, that place had about the best xiao long bao i'd ever had, then an ownership brought it oh so low. the city temple folks restored it to something quite respectable (not quite comparable to the juicy glory that was yan-yun, but still very worthwhile), and it's a shame that it's no longer around.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:13 AM
sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Aquariva (the restaurant at Granville Square) will be closing at the end of the year.
They're in this year's Dine Out so they're still open I take it?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:03 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Aqua Riva is closing, apparently it was delayed until end of March or April. I hd heard a rumour of an existing restaurant taking over the Metro space but turns out it's not them, but the Hapa Izakaya people will be moving into Metro around the same time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
well, forever 21 is going in at robson galleria, since tsunami sushi is closing tonight. a shame, as IMO it was the best place for sushi in downtown vancouver - nicely prepared and proportioned, unlike the maxi-sized sushi-on-steroids that you see commonly.
OMFG that place was a vile dump a pit of mediocrity that ruined many a fine afternoon for many people.

Peace to their ashes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
OMFG that place was a vile dump a pit of mediocrity that ruined many a fine afternoon for many people.

Peace to their ashes.
i didn't want to say anything, but since you broke the damn on that, I hated Tsunami Sushi too. So many other places nearby like Oysi Oysi or Nikko (which was closed).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:47 AM
Vancouverite

I loved the tacky boats! Although I prefered the sushi place that was across the street at the former white spot.

Oysi Oysi isn't even owned by Japs, its chinese owned, but its still pretty good.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
I loved the tacky boats! Although I prefered the sushi place that was across the street at the former white spot.

Oysi Oysi isn't even owned by Japs, its chinese owned, but its still pretty good.
Ahem, "Japs"?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
i didn't want to say anything, but since you broke the damn on that, I hated Tsunami Sushi too. So many other places nearby like Oysi Oysi or Nikko (which was closed).
I would beg to differ. the way they cut the sushi accentuated the texture of the fish. They had a nice fish roe sushi (not masago, but more like ikura (larger eggs), which IMO is harder to find) if you went there frequently, there were 2 master chefs that took turns working the majority of the time while overseeing the junior chefs ( one was bald and had a mustache, the other not bald, both japanese). it is hard to escape scrutiny when you are prep'ing food infront of your customers, and when they did proportion larger cuts of fish, they discarded a lot of the less-desirable parts of the fish

the boats, although kitchy, did take cues from japan.. since the bubble burst in japan, similar restos in japan took a downmarket turn, but this place kept its boats. a nearby resto in the basement of the manhattan apts on thurlow (?ichiban) also had a mechanised converyor belt, but they had farmed fish, plastic 'sneeze covers' on the plates and overall less care and thought was put into the sushi. IIRC, they removed the belt and just put in tables a few years ago.

all in perspective, the boat motif did rely on novelty as part of the appeal, but appeal it did add. That the sushi was better that the richmond variety was just a bonus..

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post

true. but i've been there enough to know that the owner is very passionate about seafood and the quality of their sushi. he goes on and on about his travels in asia and where you can get the best seafood and how to cook it and keep all its natural flavours.

i love that place.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radacal View Post
They're in this year's Dine Out so they're still open I take it?
As Jlousa pointed out, closing was delayed until Spring, but it is definitely closing. Not sure why they wouldn't make a go at one more Cruise ship season, but may be a lease issue.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 8:08 AM

I notice Original Joe's has finally closed on the 2nd floor on the SW corner of Cambie & Broadway. How did they last so long? That corner is is crying out to be knocked down and redeveloped.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 8:34 AM

thats too bad - i like original joes - so cheap and you get so much food

its not amazing but pretty good

i agree that location needs to be done over something like whats across the street

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 5:02 PM

Town Hall finally closed last week. Being replaced by another Glowbal restaurant.

Wasn't a fan of Town Hall, but the number of places to go for a beer after work in the central downtown area is pathetic for a City this size.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Town Hall finally closed last week. Being replaced by another Glowbal restaurant.

Wasn't a fan of Town Hall, but the number of places to go for a beer after work in the central downtown area is pathetic for a City this size.
Wow, Town Hall didn’t last long - less than a year? You have to figure that they dumped a ton into the reno from Saltlik too. Article in the Globe & Mail this morning mentioned that Glowbal had bought the building, and they intend to open a steakhouse. Will be interesting to see what they can pull off as Saltlik did the steakhouse thing and did ok at first, but then trailed off.

Article also mentions that Hawksworth will open May 7. Very interested to see that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1899050/

Quote:
Glowbal Group’s Mr. Yacoub flies against the majority of the city’s independent operators. On one small stretch of Alberni Street in the business core, he already has the big, brash Italian Kitchen and the seafood emporium Coast, and he just bought another large building on the same block with plans to open a steakhouse in the fall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining