HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 2:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Downtown development may include Publix

Bristol Development Group has agreed to pay the Huntsville Housing Authority $3.67 million for 5.58 acres along St. Clair Avenue and Gallatin Street in the medical district. The authority's volunteer board of directors unanimously approved the contract Wednesday.
The company's co-founder, Sam Yeager, is a Huntsville native.

During a Wednesday phone interview, Yeager said Bristol and Nashville retail developer PGM Properties are partnering on the more than $30 million Councill Courts project.

As many as 225 apartments renting for between $800 and $1,300 per month will be built around a central courtyard with a pool, clubhouse and other amenities, he said.

Bristol hopes to start construction within a year.

A map of the proposed project shows a Publix supermarket at the corner of Gallatin Street and Lowe Avenue, with smaller stores and restaurants lining Gallatin
Yeager said plans calls for a minimum of 15,000-20,000 square feet of new retail space, in addition to the grocery store. He cautioned that the developers do not yet have a signed agreement with Publix.

"They're certainly aware of the site," he said, "and are in the process of evaluating it right now."

Adjacent Huntsville Hospital has more than 5,000 employees working just a few steps away, plus hundreds of daily visitors.
Huntsville Times
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/07/...rants_sup.html
If anyone wants an idea of how large a building this would be (the apartment building), Cityville Block 121 in Birmingham was just built and has about the same amount of units.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 2:55 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Twickenham, Blossomwood and Old Town are all within walking distance
and high income areas, Publix kind of neighborhoods.
Trader Joes is also a possibility, they have been scouting Huntsville for
for awhile.
Also looks like some activity will be happening soon at the Harris Hill site
over Chapman Mountain. This development could be one of Huntsville's largest.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 7:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
for awhile.
What are even the details of the Harris Hill development? It's been so long since stuff was announced... I vaguely remember stuff, but I'm thinking that if I go searching online, it'll just bring up outdated stuff.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
for awhile.
If Whole Foods is actively considering Huntsville as well this would also be an excellant location for them. I like all three of these places so I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them...though we do already have several Publix around town.

And granted this was posted in 2007, but is this the same Harris Hills development that you mentioned?
http://huntsvilledevelopment.blogspo...nant-plan.html
http://www.wakefieldbeasley.com/port...11&project=129

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 3:43 PM
Constant Vigilance!

Quick update on the Councill Courts project, the developer wants the City to pay for and build two new parking garages for the development.

$30 million Councill Courts redevelopment hinges on Huntsville building two parking garages

By Steve Doyle, The Huntsville Times

"HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- A planned $30 million redevelopment of the former Councill Courts public housing site near Huntsville Hospital could become an expensive proposition for local taxpayers.
The Huntsville Housing Authority's board of directors voted last week to sell 5.58 acres on Gallatin Street to Bristol Development Group for $3.67 million. Bristol and business partner PGM Properties intend to build at least 180 apartments and 60,000 square feet of retail space on the property.
While the Nashville-based developers have agreed to pay the Housing Authority $50,000 in earnest money, the deal won't close until several conditions are met.For starters, Bristol and PGM are asking the city to build two parking garages. One would have 500 parking spaces serving restaurants and stores envisioned for the site, including a Publix supermarket. The other would have 300 spaces for Bristol's apartment tenants.

The city must also agree to rezone the land to allow a mix of uses, and the developers want to have a signed lease with Publix before moving forward. On Monday, Mayor Tommy Battle estimated the cost of the parking garages from $10 million to $14 million.

The city could potentially shift $6 million previously earmarked for an apartment/parking garage project on Clinton Avenue, he said. Battle pulled the plug on that project in May 2010 amid questions over who would own and operate the apartments.
"

I hope the city makes this work. It is a little disturbing that the developer is, in my opinion, pulling a 'my way or the highway' attitude, but at the same time the city needs to do what it can to try to make this work. Hopefully the two parties can work out a deal

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:03 PM
America's Mars Rocket

I was more interested in the Triad property(Big Spring Summit fame) which will be a multi story bank and offices. An ideal opportunity to have a signature building that can be seen and form part of the skyline instead of hidden behind some Crepe Myrtles or a UPS truck. A major hotel chain could really score big in this location as well.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:51 PM

I'm sure building the parking garages would grease the wheels on this deal, but is that really necessary? It's not like there is a ticking clock on this property or anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new development in Huntsville. I just don't see why the city would have to kick-in to get it. Maybe for an Audi plant in Limestone county but not for more traffic on Governors Drive.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 12:05 PM

Seems a little strange that the 3 final locations for the shuttles are:

Atlantis - Kennedy Space Center
Discovery - Smithsonian Hangar in Virginia
Endeavour - California Science Center in LA????? WTF did they have to do with anything.

Just seems strange that the USSRC in Huntsville didn't make a reasonable attempt to secure on. I realize it comes down to money, but still...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 2:57 PM

I think the California decision was about the public access to the vehicles. HSV would have put all 3 fairly close together on the east coast. Plus, we did let a Saturn sit outside for about 30 years.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 5:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post
Seems a little strange that the 3 final locations for the shuttles are:

Atlantis - Kennedy Space Center
Discovery - Smithsonian Hangar in Virginia
Endeavour - California Science Center in LA????? WTF did they have to do with anything.

Just seems strange that the USSRC in Huntsville didn't make a reasonable attempt to secure on. I realize it comes down to money, but still...
They did a lot of flight testing out near Los Angeles. I still think Huntsville would have been a better location, but I don't necessarily think LA is a bad choice.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:37 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Nice presentation tonite downtown by the Mayor, staff, interns and Big Spring Partners about the bright ideas for downtown.
The only problem about public input is it's a shotgun approach with no real long range vision. But is very important and for every unlikely idea there is a very good one.
A few observations
A hotel may be part of the Councill Court property.
A downtown baseball stadium could happen (a big if) if all the elements ($) necessary came together and the people really desired it.
A signature tower and or shape the skyline is high on the idea list.
There are a lot of movers and shakers working on downtown's future.
Belk Hudson Lofts will be a Huge to the developments downtown.

Also the Art Stroll around the square also going on was very nice as usual.
Very busy tonight, clubs restaurants full...Downtown

An idea the Mayor mentioned Wal Mart build a new Super Center at John Hunt Park/(Davis Stadium) sale and proceeds could go to a new downtown stadium.
Most people have no idea about parking locations, what is already available in the form of entertainment allowed.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Jul 22, 2011 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Nice presentation tonite downtown by the Mayor, staff, interns and Big Spring Partners about the bright ideas for downtown.
The only problem about public input is it's a shotgun approach with no real long range vision. But is very important and for every unlikely idea there is a very good one.
A few observations
A hotel may be part of the Councill Court property.
A downtown baseball stadium could happen (a big if) if all the elements ($) necessary came together and the people really desired it.
A signature tower and or shape the skyline is high on the idea list.
There are a lot of movers and shakers working on downtown's future.
Belk Hudson Lofts will be a Huge to the developments downtown.

Also the Art Stroll around the square also going on was very nice as usual.
Very busy tonight, clubs restaurants full...Downtown

An idea the Mayor mentioned Wal Mart build a new Super Center at John Hunt Park/(Davis Stadium) sale and proceeds could go to a new downtown stadium.
Most people have no idea about parking locations, what is already available in the form of entertainment allowed.
It's about time the mayor and this city came to its senses that a new baseball stadium with nice amenities is needed in DOWNTOWN and NOT stuck somewhere with nothing to do around it. I've been preaching for a good while now about one. It looks like they finally are listening.

The best and ideal location would be between Holmes and Clinton across from the VBC. It would be a short walking distance from Constellation and it could lure in a Hard Rock Cafe or upscale sports bar for the new development at Constellation.

A new upscale hotel with about 200-rooms is needed in downtown. A Raddison or Marriott would be nice.

There's a lot of vacant buildings in downtown and NO nightlife after work hours. Very depressing with so much promise.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
It's about time the mayor and this city came to its senses that a new baseball stadium with nice amenities is needed in DOWNTOWN and NOT stuck somewhere with nothing to do around it. I've been preaching for a good while now about one. It looks like they finally are listening.

The best and ideal location would be between Holmes and Clinton across from the VBC. It would be a short walking distance from Constellation and it could lure in a Hard Rock Cafe or upscale sports bar for the new development at Constellation.

A new upscale hotel with about 200-rooms is needed in downtown. A Raddison or Marriott would be nice.

There's a lot of vacant buildings in downtown and NO nightlife after work hours. Very depressing with so much promise.
That's the biggest win/win that we could all hope for.

Let's get Wal-Mart money and use it for a Downtown Baseball stadium.

What does that mean? Well.....

A). Wal-Mart finally gets to move out of a 35 year old building that's probably well past its shelf-life at the NW corner of Drake and South Parkway.

B). "The Joe" can finally be torn down and baseball can move downtown(where it belongs).

and

C). "Useless Overpass" can gain some true legitimacy.

As I said, Win/Win/Win.

Last edited by neilson; Jul 24, 2011 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
That's the biggest win/win that we could all hope for.

Let's get Wal-Mart money and use it for a Downtown Baseball stadium.

What does that mean? Well.....

A). Wal-Mart finally gets to move out of a 35 year old building that's probably well past its shelf-life at the SW corner of Drake and South Parkway.

B). "The Joe" can finally be torn down and baseball can move downtown(where it belongs).

and

C). "Useless Overpass" can gain some true legitimacy.

As I said, Win/Win/Win.
Yep. And using the Wal-Mart money would end any questioning of how to fund a new stadium.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 12:03 AM

Here's a google image I made of where a new stadium should go between Holmes and Clinton north of the VBC Exhibit Hall.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 1:22 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Here's a google image I made of where a new stadium should go between Holmes and Clinton north of the VBC Exhibit Hall.

rotate it 90 clockwise, the vacant parking lot along Clinton toward the parkway is ideal for 20 story highrise.
The planned greenway/riverwalk would run along the west side of the stadium.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 10:42 PM

I doubt he Walmart money would even cover the cost of land for the Coke plant. The Coke plant most likely wont move until the plant becomes obsolete which could be a good while.

I would love to see the area bound by West Clinton and Governors redeveloped. Though the area is pretty rough now it is relatively cheap land and a lot if it. Between the HHA land and Davis Hills Middle School there is plenty of land for a baseball stadium and new urban neighborhood/entertainment district. Tie this in with the Lowe Mill neighborhood and you have a great new entrance for Downtown.

The VBC and Constellation will fuel plenty of development by their selves between hotels and VBC expansions.

Just my thoughts though a downtown baseball stadium is a win no matter where it goes!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
I doubt he Walmart money would even cover the cost of land for the Coke plant. The Coke plant most likely wont move until the plant becomes obsolete which could be a good while.

I would love to see the area bound by West Clinton and Governors redeveloped. Though the area is pretty rough now it is relatively cheap land and a lot if it. Between the HHA land and Davis Hills Middle School there is plenty of land for a baseball stadium and new urban neighborhood/entertainment district. Tie this in with the Lowe Mill neighborhood and you have a great new entrance for Downtown.

The VBC and Constellation will fuel plenty of development by their selves between hotels and VBC expansions.

Just my thoughts though a downtown baseball stadium is a win no matter where it goes!
You mean the old Stone Middle School, right?

Davis Hills is up on Mastin Lake Road between Pulaski Pike and Blue Springs Road in NW Huntsville.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
You mean the old Stone Middle School, right?

Davis Hills is up on Mastin Lake Road between Pulaski Pike and Blue Springs Road in NW Huntsville.
Yes, my bad I don't know why I mixed them up. ha

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 2:17 PM

Moving the stadium 3 miles north will not increase tickets sales, or are we considering baseball to be a public service. Put a Hooters on that corner if you want to increase downtown traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast