HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

400 Park Avenue South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:09 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I saw that article. I hope that they keep de Portzamparc's design.
Me too. Never saw this before, but I really like the design. Looks like a modern take on the setbacks of the older buildings.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:45 AM

I agree, this is my favorite non supertall design in the city. This is about as high quality a filler as is humanly possible. PLUS, it has just about the coolest subway entrance I've seen, it's so Gotham. I've always loved this design, crossing my fingers they stick with the design we know.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 8:45 AM
~

I don't like the fact it's gonna leave blank walls on the adjacent buildings.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:33 PM

Use the 28th St station and pass by this site every day. they are completing the demolition of the bottom floor of the building that was on the site. Just the right time to start up a new one. I also hope that they keep the original plans. Would help continue the trend of newer brighter buildings in the area. The newer Gansevoort Hotel on Park South with its glass balconies and illuminated corner post is just one block up the street.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 12:32 PM
BANNED

I hope that Toll Bros. keeps de Portzamparc's design.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...FTForthStories

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Dec 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 1:43 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I hope that Toll Bros. keeps de Portzamparc's design.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...FTForthStories
Ditto. The design has always recalled for me the Frost Bank Tower in Austin.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 4:01 AM

Great news. So from what I read, soon (next year) they should start construction, since they have enough tenants to come up with this building.

I think it's a good project, and a good height to this site ... Another building to the density of the city.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:11 AM
Khurram Parvaz

This situation sucks but I think it's safe to say; that this design is GOODBYE.

Curbed

Quote:
The rumors are true: Toll Brothers and Equity Residential are partnering for a new building at 400 Park Avenue South, the Journal reveals, on the spot where we once hoped to see the Christian de Portzamparc-designed Fortress of Glassitude. Like that tower, the Toll/Equity project—the two companies just closed on the lot for $134 million—will have 40 stories, but this one will be a mix of condos and rentals. Equity will control the bottom 22 floors, with 265 luxury rentals and the building's retail space. Toll Brothers will add 100 luxury condos on the upper floors. No word yet on pricing, timing, or design, but—hint, hint—the tipline is open.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:21 AM

I walk by this site somewhat regularly, and today I walked by around 2PM and there was some machinery on site and active. Looked like a pilling machine, and it's veryyy new to the site, haven't seen anything on this site in a long long time, so looks like the new owners are serious about moving forward. Hopefully the designs good.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:37 AM
Khurram Parvaz

The new design is bound to suck, unless it's something Post Modern or classical, it won't out do Mr. Porzamparc and the old design.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 9:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I walk by this site somewhat regularly, and today I walked by around 2PM and there was some machinery on site and active. Looked like a pilling machine, and it's veryyy new to the site, haven't seen anything on this site in a long long time, so looks like the new owners are serious about moving forward. Hopefully the designs good.
This is another site that's been dormant for a few years, so it's good that things are at least moving forward. On the other hand, we may have already lost the design. We'll just have to wait until we see the replacement.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
BANNED

Toll Brothers hasn't said yet that they're ditching this design.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:07 AM

My my, it seems that the Madison Square Park area is turning in to a mini NY district.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I love it at night. It would be the dominant focal point on the skyline for many cities.

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/node/1323682
Developers to build New York City apartment tower

BY LINDA O"FLANAGAN
01-3-2012

Quote:
Toll Brothers and Equity Residential have formed a joint venture to buy and develop a new apartment building at 400 Park Avenue South.

The partners plan to build a 40-story tower on the 400,000 s/f site. Work will start in the spring, the two companies said in a statement.

According to Toll Brothers, the building will be comprised of retail and rental apartments on the first 22 floors that will be Equity Residential's portion, and residential condos on the top 18 floors that will be Toll Brothers' portion.

The residential rental and condo components will have separate addresses and lobbies and will be operated independently, with the exception of certain shared elements including building systems. Equity Residential and Toll Brothers will also share 8,000 s/f of amenities that will be located below grade.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:06 AM

it better be the same building

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ I love it at night. It would be the dominant focal point on the skyline for many cities.

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/node/1323682
Developers to build New York City apartment tower

BY LINDA O"FLANAGAN
01-3-2012
Let's keep our fingers crossed. The architect's website describea the de Portzamparc tower as a 40-story tower with condos and rentals, as does Toll Brothers' statement.

400 Park Avenue South
Residential
This residential tower on Manhattan's East Side is currently in Design Development. The 40-story tower is comprised of 265 rental apartments and 99 condo units. A subway entrance and retail spaces occupy the ground floor. Building amenities include club rooms and, a gym and pool organized around a central courtyard. Additionally, there is a kids club, terrace lounge, and a pet spa. The exterior of the building is faceted glass curtain wall.

Design Architect: Atelier Christian de Portzamparc

Architect of Record: Handel Architects

http://handelarch.com/projects/proje...outh-main.html

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 6:35 AM
Everywhere all at once

I do love Portzamparc's designs generally...after all One57 has won my heart. However, though I appreciate the concept of his original design, the massing has always been weird to me. I'm not overly devastated that it's being redesigned, and since it's still in deP's hands, I'm sure he'll churn out something else great.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:22 PM

Edit: Too early, forgot this will be redesigned. What a bummer. Nice to see any empty lot along Park Ave South get filled though. Even though we don't have a design, I'd expect it to be high quality materials given its location and condo element.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I'm not overly devastated that it's being redesigned
Let's jump off that bridge when we get to it...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Not too worried, the original design was a harsh dissonant mess IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive