HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:59 PM
Community Guy

^given the timelines for this "potential" redevelopment, i suspect very good chances.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:24 PM
Urban Advocate

I'll try to post a couple of my plans too....
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:25 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZiPop View Post
The north end of whats indicated for NAIT is ETS, Telus, and Epcor. How willing would they be to move for NAIT expansion?
I've heard unconfirmed rumours that NAIT is already in the process of coming to an agreement to take over these lands anyways ^^, and instead of building a second campus (the ralph klein one) way on the southside, they will instead put it here...

All rumour and definitely unconfirmed... but certainly an interesting talking piece

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 1:38 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
the muni is an opportunity to have a comprehensive redevelopment, something that cannot happen downtown very well.

TOD the muni with an overall design and have developers buy sections with design guidelines/standards.

or sell it to concord
Concord? I guess we're just on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm all for zoning guidlines but I prefer organic development opposed to a Concord-esque comprehensive masterplan which definitely favours the downtown over the muni. You've seen one comprehensive plan you've seen them all whether its Urban Strategies or IBI or either of the other two. Boring

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 1:56 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
Concord? I guess we're just on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm all for zoning guidlines but I prefer organic development opposed to a Concord-esque comprehensive masterplan which definitely favours the downtown over the muni. You've seen one comprehensive plan you've seen them all whether its Urban Strategies or IBI or either of the other two. Boring
Hey!

But, you're right, master planned communities tend to look as such. Not all are bad, but it is more difficult to make it feel authentically urban. Not enough diversity.

One master plan that has come out recently that I LOVE is the Ramsay Exchange plan in Calgary by RTKL from Los Angeles. Their fortunate in that they have some older warehouse buildings to work with and mix in with the new. Bridges is also a nice one that suits its context well.

http://www.ramsayexchange.com/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton