HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:27 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
HAHAHA I know my statement sounded ridiculous, I'm just used to the US Bank building being the "Peak" of the skyline, even with the WG tower sadly. A lot of people from other cities find LAs "Peak" like skyline iconic but I'm not against the change. I honestly cant careless where the next tallest goes. I'm warming up to the idea of Angles Landing being the tallest and now this new proposal could actually balance out Angels landing If built with similar height.
While it won't be as prominent, I think even after this cycle the U.S. Bank Tower might keep it's status as the peak of the skyline. While the renderings of Angel's Landing show it to be about the same height as U.S. Bank, it should appear about 20 feet lower. The new tower that will rise over the former Sheraton will most likely appear shorter as well since it'll be mixed use, despite having more floors. Like you said, I think the two will nicely balance each other out in the skyline since they are both on 4th Street and about equal distance from the U.S. Bank.

Overall, once this cycle is complete LA's skyline will definitely look more "plateaued" out but will have some nice height to it. Here's a quick mockup I did showing the tallest proposals, of course this view will look much more dense with all the other smaller projects filling up South Park. The skyline already looks way more massive than it did a few years ago from the east and west, I can only imagine how great it will look once this cycle is over.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:57 PM

That shot is just screaming for LA to have a 1200 footer with a spire. Maybe next cycle.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Yeah the skyline is really getting long towards the South. I've been watching it grow from my office for the past couple of years. I took this shot in late April. I should probably do this regularly as a timeline for all of us! Taken at sunrise with an Android haha:
Those are awesome!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:59 PM

A new tallest at 8th and Fig could have made for a nice new peak.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:11 PM
Metal Up Your !

I live in the bay area and for a minute those fog shots reminded me of the bay. Great pics

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Yeah the skyline is really getting long towards the South. I've been watching it grow from my office for the past couple of years. I took this shot in late April. I should probably do this regularly as a timeline for all of us! Taken at sunrise with an Android haha:

Do you work in the the Vermont? I love that view! Best view of the skyline in my opinion. Makes it look the most dense in my opinion. Build Olympia and the skyline would be completely linked.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:15 AM

My favorite view of the city is from the east, to me seeing the density of the historic core in the foreground gives you a sense of how much bigger and denser DTLA really is compared to the view from the west, also from the east you can see the density spread from downtown.. west into the Wilshire corridor and hitting century city skyline and then some of Hollywood to the northwest

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
That shot is just screaming for LA to have a 1200 footer with a spire. Maybe next cycle.
Or Angel's Landing could put up a spire/crown and get it done. The roof line of AL will be 1000', so a 250 foot spire or crown would get it up to Empire State Bldg height. Go for it! (No, they don't have to put an angel statue on top). More importantly, as others have suggested, I hope they fine tune the design. Better designed plaza to integrate with the street, and I'd like to see some art deco features to blend with the nearby Broadway historic district, but maybe that would add too much the costs. But this could be the future icon of the L.A. skyline, so a great design would be perfect. Hopefully they get the funding and put it up before the '28 Olympics, as currently designed or revised. Building cycles come and go, so cycles shouldn't enter into the decision. In fact, perhaps the ideal time to build is at the end of a cycle, or in a trough, since by the time the building is completed, a new cycle has started and demand is rising.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:57 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/two-tower-d...sed-south-park

Looks like South Park has no intention of cooling down anytime soon. This one slipped by me. Nothing special, pretty much a smaller version of Apex/Apex 2 being pushed up against the 10. For its location....I like it.

Downtown-based architecture firm AC Martin is designing the project called South Park Towers, which would feature a 22-story, dual flag hotel tower fronting Flower Street and a 23-story residential building at Hope Street. The completed development would provide 300 hotel rooms, 250 residential units, 13,000 square feet of ground-floor retail uses, and podium parking for 288 vehicles.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 14, 2018 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
https://urbanize.la/post/two-tower-d...sed-south-park

Looks like South Park has no intention of cooling down anytime soon. This one slipped by me. Nothing special, pretty much a smaller version of Apex/Apex 2 being pushed up against the 10. For its location....I like it.
And it'll be a block over (allegedly) from this tower: https://urbanize.la/post/renderings-...ent-dtla-tower

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:15 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ The two developments will be directly across the street (Flower St) from each other.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:03 AM

This is a good example of business signage in arts district posted at Eater today. I wish this could start a trend among building owners. Really brings home how much of the arts community actually exists there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:58 AM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:56 PM

Last edited by cesar90; Jun 15, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Spotted this. IDK if its been posted, but its neat. Amazing how places change.

Seventy Years of Los Angeles, Then and Now

Video Link

Someday, they'll be doing a 50 years later in 2070 , and the city will have obviously changed, for better or worse.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:02 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Spotted this. IDK if its been posted, but its neat. Amazing how places change.

Seventy Years of Los Angeles, Then and Now

Video Link

Someday, they'll be doing a 50 years later in 2070 , and the city will have obviously changed, for better or worse.
Yeah, what was done to the Bunker Hill Neighborhood was blasphemous. Fortunately the historic core is intact as well as much of the Los Angeles' neighborhoods. The video had an agenda though as it strictly stayed on the few streets in Downtown that are the worst offenders.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Yeah, what was done to the Bunker Hill Neighborhood was blasphemous. Fortunately the historic core is intact as well as much of the Los Angeles' neighborhoods. The video had an agenda though as it strictly stayed on the few streets in Downtown that are the worst offenders.

Although mostly run down by the 1950s, some of those old Victorian buildings and neighborhoods on Bunker Hill might evolved into an L.A. version of Nob Hill if not bulldozed during "urban renewal", so that is a great loss. But the Gehry symphony hall is a landmark, as is the Broad art museum. Trouble is, Bunker Hill has still plenty of vacant lots, doesn't tie together very well, and is not very pedestrian friendly. Maybe in a few more years it will come together as more projects are completed? Agree that the old gems in the historic core are thankfully and mostly still there, since the area escaped "urban renewal"--a blessing. Like time traveling back to the 1920s walking down Broadway. Bulldozing historic neighborhoods completely is like ripping up a rain forest.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 17, 2018 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 9:08 AM

I read the youtube comments on that video. Seems like a lot of people dont know Los Angeles at all. They think that all of Los Angeles was just Victorians and were all torn down to build the modern stuff they saw in the side by side screen.
I've looked at thousands of photos of LA Noire in the skyscraper page photo section. It looks like many parts of Downtown has had 2 or 3 makeovers over the past 100+ years. Things seems to be torn down and replaced with something bigger, more modern at that time. For example there were a lot of Victorians type architecture, but were replaced with grand more beaux arts and art deco. Later more of the older architecture were replaced by post war, mid century buildings. And some are replaced with the modern and contemporary buildings like the Wilshire Grand Hotel replaced with the tall Intercontinental Wilshire Grand. Maybe in the future, those newly built 7 story boxes will again get replaced with something else. Who knows.

Is it a good or bad thing? It is erasing history or adding to it? Who knows. I dont really mind. It is not like everything that is built is a masterpiece--- to me. Los Angeles was largely farmland 100 years ago. I like that it didnt stay the same, looked the same, and is good in not trying to preserve everthing like it is a museum city like Rome. We dont have thousands of years of History like Rome. Even New York city has gone through major remodels. When you walk past those "old" buildings of NYC, most were rebuilt in the 20th century. Where are all the buildings built around 1776 when the US gained independence? Or during the civil war? Sure there are probably some hundreds of year old buildings but most of it is gone.

The thing is each decade or two, architecture seems to change. What is currently built now seems to variations of things all over America esp the 7 story wood buildings, the glassy highrise and skyscrapers. It would be great if there was a movement like Art Deco or Arts and Crafts or Victorian where details from architecture, to car design, to furniture and/or clothing, etc defined that era. Tetris boxes on buildings is something I dont get.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Yeah, what was done to the Bunker Hill Neighborhood was blasphemous.

It was more blasphemous to Los Angeles that the area was so rundown and unimpressive in the first place. A big time, major league city would never have wanted to look like this....

sanchezzootsuitmurders

bcf.usc.edu

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
This looks great! Do you think it would be possible for you to make one but using the view that we get from Griffith Observatory?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations