HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:25 AM

Video Link

Little something I found on YouTube. God bless America. God bless Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:30 AM

Video Link

Little something I found on YouTube. God bless America. God bless Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:33 PM

I wish Grand Park had a bigger better fireworks display. I went to the first one and the did the fireworks right in the middle where the Metro station was located. I think it broke up people trying to get across one area to the other. One year they decided to put it behind City Hall which was stupid because city hall is so tall that most people at the great lawn had no view and the people behind had limited views because of city hall except the ones that went the highest. Most others were atop the Dorothy Chandler. I noticed, that the borders of the 4th of July event expands more and more to second street now because of larger crowds and growing popularity.

This year I decided to go to the Rose Bowl. I last went 6 years ago or 7. The fireworks display was amazing. Not just variety of fireworks but the height, the boom, the amount at same time. I wish Grand Park had that spectacle level. I watched as many youtube videos of LA's fireworks all over the city. Wow, incredible how widespread it all was. I wonder if other cities are similar or just like one focal area. I'll need to check that out.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:20 PM

I wish the city would shoot the fireworks from the top/side of buildings like they do in Hong Kong for NYE...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
I wish the city would shoot the fireworks from the top/side of buildings like they do in Hong Kong for NYE...
They did it once that I know of for OUE US Bank Tower's opening of the Observation Deck.
Here is the youtube link for the fireworks display
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwqrWgQ30-c

I was at ground level not far from the stage and this is the view I got from this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2pyop5yu2c&t=54s

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 10:55 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
Personally, I dislike the monstrosity that seems to have collided with the LA Times Building, but I can see why "some" people would defend it. And of course it threatens the Onni redevelopment and new development of Times Mirror Square.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...703-story.html
This is ridiculous. Its a problem everywhere but I think LA has this NIMBY/Preservationist problem bad. If there was a crack on the steps next to Angels Flight, and the city wanted to patch it, I swear a preservationist would come out of nowhere with a pitchfork and try to claim it as historical. Not EVERYTHING needs to be saved and/or preserved. This idea is insane. People like to always say " LA will never be like NYC or Chicago" yeah, those cities are tearing down non distinct old buildings left and right while we are trying to preserve a poorly made and designed appendage that does NOTHNG for the original structure. Tear it down. At least the new proposal gives the old LA times building some space to breathe with a pedestrian paseo separating the two so that it truly stand out.

For the record, I'm all for preserving HISTORICAL/Relevant architecture. Most of Broadway, even though butchered, should be salvaged. This 70s tumor is not even in the same league.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
This is ridiculous. Its a problem everywhere but I think LA has this NIMBY/Preservationist problem bad. If there was a crack on the steps next to Angels Flight, and the city wanted to patch it, I swear a preservationist would come out of nowhere with a pitchfork and try to claim it as historical. Not EVERYTHING needs to be saved and/or preserved. This idea is insane. People like to always say " LA will never be like NYC or Chicago" yeah, those cities are tearing down non distinct old buildings left and right while we are trying to preserve a poorly made and designed appendage that does NOTHNG for the original structure. Tear it down. At least the new proposal gives the old LA times building some space to breathe with a pedestrian paseo separating the two so that it truly stand out.

For the record, I'm all for preserving HISTORICAL/Relevant architecture. Most of Broadway, even though butchered, should be salvaged. This 70s tumor is not even in the same league.
Amen.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:18 AM

So does anyone have any idea why the Pershing Square station always has people around it all the time? Idk. I am not saying any human being is better than any other, but it would be nice to not see and hear some of the things that occur there and in other parts of downtown. It’s such a dicey subject and it seems you can get burned at the stake for saying the wrong things about some things. I suppose I would love to see downtown become a safe, clean, friendly environment and there are those who wander downtown who contribute to the opposite of that. Super unfortunate. I guess my larger thought here is the growth of downtown and some of the off-putting qualities, if you know what I mean? I’m rambling now. Sorry.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
So does anyone have any idea why the Pershing Square station always has people around it all the time? Idk. I am not saying any human being is better than any other, but it would be nice to not see and hear some of the things that occur there and in other parts of downtown. It’s such a dicey subject and it seems you can get burned at the stake for saying the wrong things about some things. I suppose I would love to see downtown become a safe, clean, friendly environment and there are those who wander downtown who contribute to the opposite of that. Super unfortunate. I guess my larger thought here is the growth of downtown and some of the off-putting qualities, if you know what I mean? I’m rambling now. Sorry.
Well, if you're talking about the homeless, I guess the solution is to provide more places for them to sleep safely, shower, store their stuff and receive needed services. Where? Maybe in the old "skid row" area, or maybe in places scattered around the city if the "NIMBYs" alow it. Otherwise, the problem will be with us.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:35 AM

Agree with most of the comments above on the LATimes Periera 1970s lowrise. It would be a shame if preserving this 1970s appendage prevents the construction of 100s of new housing units in the ONNI proposal. The ONNI design does preserve the most historic of the LAT buildings. And even more true for old Parker Center where only Sgt. Friday would shed a tear. Tear it down. Build something better. Extreme preservationists and extreme NIMBYs are birds of a feather.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:29 PM

Delete

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:

Will New Deliveries Impede Luxury Demand in DTLA?

This year, several thousand new apartment units will deliver into the Downtown Los Angeles market—but the strong demand is expected to offset the new supply. CIRCA, a $500 million 648-unit apartment complex hailed as “ultra-luxury,” will deliver in September, but developer Hankey Investment Co. isn’t concerned about the supply, both because of the strong demand and the quality of the product. Hankey opened the leasing office this month for CIRCA and has already received strong demand. We sat down with Scott Dobbins, president of Hankey Investment Co., to talk about the project and the luxury demand in Downtown Los Angeles.

GlobeSt.com: What is apartment demand like in DTLA for luxury rentals?

Scott Dobbins: Most of the recent towers in Downtown Los Angeles have touted themselves as luxury, and most of those units are full. Downtown’s luxury apartments have been an alternative to the Westside, and Downtown’s luxury prices are more affordable than Beverly Hills and some Westside locations. Now, with L.A. Live, the excitement on the Broadway and Spring Street corridors and access to Bunker Hill and the Arts District, Downtown L.A. has become an alternative for those seeking a vibrant place to live on a full-time basis.

GlobeSt.com: What has the response been like to CIRCA?

Dobbins: It has been fantastic. Our front row seat in front of L.A. Live and Staples Center has been a draw, as well as our two-acre amenity deck – which hovers 100 feet above street level. Our grand opening is scheduled for September of this year, and the excitement is building. We just officially opened our leasing office at 1201 S. Grand Street, which includes a sneak preview of the interior of one of the apartment homes of Circa. We only started leasing a week ago, and are literally booking leases daily. We are very happy with the reception so far.

Odds & ends like this cafe....across from Pershing Sq, next to the biltmore & near the park fifth apt tower now rising at 5th & olive...enhance the appeal of dtla as much as, or more than, necessarily future bldgs being super tall or the design of new projs being super nice.

It's fine to fuss over the "hardware" of dt. But the "software" is important too. some of that software will be dependent on how fast or slowly new apt or condo towers fill up over the next 2 yrs.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:25 AM

First Downtown LA Starbucks Reserve to Open at Atelier Tower

http://brighamyen.com/2018/07/10/fir...atelier-tower/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:16 AM

Quote:
This year, several thousand new apartment units will deliver into the Downtown Los Angeles market—but the strong demand is expected to offset the new supply. CIRCA, a $500 million 648-unit apartment complex hailed as “ultra-luxury,” will deliver in September, but developer Hankey Investment Co. isn’t concerned about the supply, both because of the strong demand and the quality of the product. Hankey opened the leasing office this month for CIRCA and has already received strong demand. We sat down with Scott Dobbins, president of Hankey Investment Co., to talk about the project and the luxury demand in Downtown Los Angeles.

GlobeSt.com: What is apartment demand like in DTLA for luxury rentals?

Scott Dobbins: Most of the recent towers in Downtown Los Angeles have touted themselves as luxury, and most of those units are full. Downtown’s luxury apartments have been an alternative to the Westside, and Downtown’s luxury prices are more affordable than Beverly Hills and some Westside locations. Now, with L.A. Live, the excitement on the Broadway and Spring Street corridors and access to Bunker Hill and the Arts District, Downtown L.A. has become an alternative for those seeking a vibrant place to live on a full-time basis.
Great to bring more people to DTLA, but I was hoping DTLA would become the bright spot in LA’s housing crisis with all this development. But this just illustrates what an awful situation LA finds itself in. Practically nothing is being built in DTLA that isn’t marketed and priced for the luxury market. And NIMBYism in other parts of LA are finding a cowardly city council giving in to limiting developing around rail stations.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Great to bring more people to DTLA, but I was hoping DTLA would become the bright spot in LA’s housing crisis with all this development. But this just illustrates what an awful situation LA finds itself in. Practically nothing is being built in DTLA that isn’t marketed and priced for the luxury market. And NIMBYism in other parts of LA are finding a cowardly city council giving in to limiting developing around rail stations.
I'm convinced "Nimbyism" is rooted heavily in economic self interest. "Nimbys" are mostly property owners, who want to keep new housing scarce so their own home values keep rising. NIMBYs fear new supply, since new supply will dampen price appreciation. What NIMBYs don't factor in is that scarce supply and high prices and rents will drive up homelessness, and some of those homeless will live in their neighborhoods. Maybe in front of their homes. As homelessness soars, nobody will want to buy the NIMBY's home. The NIMBY dilemma.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

First Downtown LA Starbucks Reserve to Open at Atelier Tower

http://brighamyen.com/2018/07/10/fir...atelier-tower/
This is going to be really cool for the area.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:47 PM
Paramoderator

Starbucks Reserve is such bullshit marketing. There's two within five blocks of me in NY and they are more or less the same, plus or minus some leather mid-century modern rip-off chairs. I simply can't get excited about another Starbucks downtown.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Starbucks Reserve is such bullshit marketing. There's two within five blocks of me in NY and they are more or less the same, plus or minus some leather mid-century modern rip-off chairs. I simply can't get excited about another Starbucks downtown.
Totally agree, so much so that I walk every morning a mile to the Oaks Gourmet in Franklin Village rather than to Starbucks, which exists across the street from my apartment.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:16 PM

Yeah me too, totally agree.

I live in South Pasadena, a city of only a little less than 3.5 square miles, yet there are three Starbucks in South Pas, four if you count the one inside the Pavilions supermarket. I don't go to ANY of them, I never liked their coffee.

I would be more excited about a La Monarca opening in downtown LA... in fact I go to the one in South Pas often for their coffee and their very good pastries.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I only tried the one in Seattle, and while it was over priced, I thought it was on par with Intellgensia, Blue Bottle, etc. Better than a normal one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations