HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for?
Brian Bowman 57 95.00%
Jenny Motkaluk 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah I don't know what credibility you're talking about. Even ignoring P&M the guy is a nutcase.

Meilleur would be a nightmare. She couldn't even keep the Osborne BIZ organized and most of the business owners hated her. Jeff sounds like a good candidate.

I don't think Rollins will get much love – many people are growing extremely wary of School division spending and practices, especially at WSD.

Frankly if someone ran on a platform of working with the province on school division reform, going down to one division, or at most 2 (one being French) – they would rocket up my charts.
If a city council candidate ran on that platform I'd ask, why the hell aren't you running for MLA? Because the City has nothing to do with that.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 6:07 PM

We vote school trustees municipally, so it's inextricably linked.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 7:56 AM
keep the good times going

Talked to Jeff a few times by email. Really nice, sincere guy with a great platform focused on urbanism. He’s got my vote for councillor.

Last edited by peg; Sep 10, 2018 at 8:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 2:37 PM

The Motkaluk campaign is veering into parody at this point:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Agreed. Jeff is a good guy.
Also in agreement. Would be a great Councillor for that ward.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The Motkaluk campaign is veering into parody at this point:

I hope some of our "investigative" media types try to crunch these numbers and see if it's actually realistic. Simply quoting someone, especially a political candidate, without any accompanying critical appraisal of the comment, implies agreement.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:13 AM

What would all those things add up to, 1% of the project costs? What a lunatic. When is the plebiscite on this whole project?

I don’t think even Katz’ old campaign manager (now her press secretary) can give her any hope at a chance. Also her afs look like they’re for tampons.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah I don't know what credibility you're talking about. Even ignoring P&M the guy is a nutcase.

Meilleur would be a nightmare. She couldn't even keep the Osborne BIZ organized and most of the business owners hated her. Jeff sounds like a good candidate.

I don't think Rollins will get much love – many people are growing extremely wary of School division spending and practices, especially at WSD.

Frankly if someone ran on a platform of working with the province on school division reform, going down to one division, or at most 2 (one being French) – they would rocket up my charts.
But Meilleur's name literally means better

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Agreed - but that power doesn't reside within the City (or councilors). It's something the province would do all on it's own.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 11:58 PM

The province does love savings...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The province does love savings...
This province is broke!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:44 PM

What a depressing list of mayoral candidates to choose from. I understand now why people don't vote.

And then there were 8: Incumbent Bowman faces more than half-dozen mayoral challengers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ates-1.4825992

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
What a depressing list of mayoral candidates to choose from. I understand now why people don't vote.

And then there were 8: Incumbent Bowman faces more than half-dozen mayoral challengers

So the crack political journalists at CBC figured the most important piece of information voters needed on each candidate was where they stand on a small downtown sidewalk project? Maybe we wouldn't have this whole ridiculous circus around P&M if we didn't have such mickey-mouse media in this town legitimizing the whole thing because they're willing to pander to the lowest common denominator to get a few clicks. Why bother telling voters what the candidates' budget priorities are, or what ideas they have for public safety and the meth crisis, or anything else important, when instead you can just fan the flames of some stupid populist outrage

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:28 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

I've been driving around the city a lot the past two weeks for my job and I have to say I am surprised at the number of Motkaluk signs I'm seeing on front lawns.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I've been driving around the city a lot the past two weeks for my job and I have to say I am surprised at the number of Motkaluk signs I'm seeing on front lawns.
I see Jim Gauthier is a supporter since his dealerships have her sign up. One thing I've noticed over the years is that number of lawn signs present is a poor indication of election results.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:10 PM

With no labour/NDP backed candidate to provide an alternative on the left, Jenny M. seems like the only alternative to the status quo. I think Jenny will get a significant share of the anyone-but-Bowman vote, but I predict a low voter turnout and another term for Bowman. And I predict "no" on the P&M plebiscite.
Depressing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
She came from the Conservative political machine. It's not a secret.
I think it's more of the "She came from the old school hard right reform political machine" Her husband once ran for the Canadian Alliance

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:53 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/bowman-o...cers-1.4100595

Bowman is pledging to remove OT from officer pension calculations. Personally support this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:01 PM

^ After rah rah cops all the way for the last 20 years, people are starting to feel the pinch from the blank cheques that have been written to WPA members.

Bowman is wise to start doing something to rein in costs. Best thing for him is that Motkaluk can't respond since she is the WPA's anointed candidate.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ After rah rah cops all the way for the last 20 years, people are starting to feel the pinch from the blank cheques that have been written to WPA members.

Bowman is wise to start doing something to rein in costs. Best thing for him is that Motkaluk can't respond since she is the WPA's anointed candidate.
I'm getting the impression most people aren't buying into the union's fear-mongering nonsense and that make me at least mildly more hopefully about democracy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan