HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Willis Tower Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 3:07 AM
TL;DR

Why? A hotel in the plaza affects the few blocks around Willis. A silver re-clad redefines and, IMO, ruins the aspect of the building from the entire city and suburban region.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 8:54 PM

Does this model include the current state of the stump of the Waterview Tower project? If so, they forgot the abandoned tower crane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
model located in the Santa Fe building lobby, adjacent to the massive, recently installed Chicago central plan model

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs in five View Post
Does this model include the current state of the stump of the Waterview Tower project? If so, they forgot the abandoned tower crane.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Have these been posted before?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 3:49 PM
let's work together

Oh no please...u're kidding... NEVER GONNA HAPPEN - At least, that's what I'm hoping for

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 4:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

You know I can't seem to make my mind up on this. I love the actually tower proposal, but like many I'm not convinced its appropriate to put it so damn close to Sears on the same block. I'm leery that this juxtaposition may not age well.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 4:45 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

See, I think the juxtaposition is exactly why it should go there. I love the contrast to Sears *cough* [Willis] and quite frankly, I think it speaks to the effort to reinvent the Tower. And let's face it, it needs reinventing. I like the idea that it will capture Sears effects on wind and help to cut it's environmental impact.

To me, Willis is at its best from a distance, the way it looms over the entire city, and from the base, it's brutalist verticality. This tower does nothing to hinder either of those.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 6:04 PM

I know this was just a proposal, but is there any date they had in mind to start this?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 2:39 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I know this was just a proposal, but is there any date they had in mind to start this?
I don't know, but there is a zoning change notice on the north side of the Wacker entrance, "conveniently" posted about 30 feet off the sidewalk in a chained-off area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:03 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrause View Post
I personally dislike this entire design -- although not necessarily the concept. The hotel as its envisioned simply does not fit aesthetically within the South Wacker Drive corridor given the existing architecture in these two blocks.

The current rendering looks remarkably out of place framed between Sears Tower and 311 S Wacker. It doesn't even attempt to complement either building -- almost suggesting that it was designed in a vacuum -- with no regard for the neighboring architecture. And crammed so tightly into a corner of the existing lot beneath the very shadow of its nearby cousins, visually suggests that the proposal is nothing more than a developer's desperate band-aid solution for revitalization.

I think there are far better ways to incorporate a marketable green hotel into the existing Sears Tower property while similarly redeveloping the infamously tacky street-level plaza. There is a parking garage on Franklin St that is just begging to be razed. It is the perfect location for a hotel tower with an integrated parking deck. Simply construct a graceful skybridge across Franklin St to the mezzanine of Sears Tower.

That makes the most efficient use of the valuable real estate in the Chicago Loop. And it adds the convenience of direct, on-site parking for occupants of the new hotel which could be an additional selling point (not to mention being one block closer to the nearest "L" stop, since it is important to encourage use of public transit).

--Randall
I really like what you are saying. Those are very good ideas. Instead of just bitching like some people here you give concrete opinions of what should be done and I respect that

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:07 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

That silver doesn't look bad.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:10 PM
BANNED

I don't see where the complaining that "it doesn't complement the other buildings well" is coming from. This is Chicago, our architectural history is all about not complementing the other buildings well. If we "complemented other buildings" with the John Hancock Building we would have a 6 story castle-looking apartment building instead... Chicago has a long history of its buildings saying "screw you" to everything around them and being completely different, I don't understand the contextualism argument at all. I think contextualism outside of the realm of urban planning (i.e. aesthetics) is complete BS.

Also, I don't like the idea of them building this hotel on the Sears Tower garage because that would be a complete waste of that lot. Are you really going to advocate replacing what is one of the largest developable plots of land in the Loop area with a measly 50 story hotel? Its right next to the Sears Tower, 311 S. Wacker, and AT&T! It needs a building that will be at least 800' tall, if not a supertall or something in the range of 1200'. I can see there actually being demand for this in the future as the loop is choked off by the NIMBY's to the West.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 7:25 PM
BANNED

That hotel next to Willis ("whatchutalkinboutSearsTower?!?!?!") just makes me think of a remora clinging to a shark.

Small, cute and harmless.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 8:28 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I actually kind of like this proposal, the juxtaposition's really interesting an I think it'll age well...like the juxtaposition between the Reading Terminal and the PSFS Building.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 9:04 PM

Just a thought... If they did in fact move ahead with this, How would they re-route the tourist entrance to the top? Obviously they can't close it for the length of the construction time. Also, I wonder what the road closing/ road narrowing situation would be like in that area? And being so close to the building, the crane placement would be an interesting position to see them pick. I really would like to see this project start, but I'm sure it has a lot of logistical issues, more than I can probably think of.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 9:05 PM
The City

This project is my wet dream.

It's beautiful and it's net-zero energy. Viewing this proposal would and should make any density junkie's pants moist. Just imagining that much density on one block just makes this so awe-inspiring.

Moreover, it does something to enhance the pedestrian experience around the Willis Tower, by bringing interactive retail to the ground level.

Love it, love it, love it. Please more of this stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 11:54 PM
World Machine

On its own is one thing, but I find it to be intrusive when paired with another building of large size on the same parcel of land.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 1:31 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ I hear you, but that's just the Loop all over again, and that's why I like the Wells Ave face of the base best - you're standing in this densely-packed corner of the Loop with the El overhead and Willis is just another piece of it (but when you do look up, whoaa...)

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 1:39 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Just a thought... If they did in fact move ahead with this, How would they re-route the tourist entrance to the top? Obviously they can't close it for the length of the construction time. Also, I wonder what the road closing/ road narrowing situation would be like in that area? And being so close to the building, the crane placement would be an interesting position to see them pick. I really would like to see this project start, but I'm sure it has a lot of logistical issues, more than I can probably think of.
Apparently S&G would be adding a street-level skydeck entrance at Jackson.

http://www.smithgill.com/#/work/willis_tower

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
model located in the Santa Fe building lobby, adjacent to the massive, recently installed Chicago central plan model

They really play up the contrasts between the two towers in the model - that must've been part of the pitch.

BTW, big piece of the tower off and blocking the street at the bottom of that first pic

Last edited by wrab; Dec 28, 2009 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 1:40 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ I hear you, but that's just the Loop all over again, and that's why I like the Wells Ave face of the base best - you're standing in this densely-packed corner of the Loop with the El overhead and Willis is just another piece of it (but when you do look up, whoaa...)
I guess I have to experience what you’re talking about to understand it; really can’t relate. But I do understand where you’re coming from with the density. If that’s what looks ‘right’ for that part of town, then this proposal is right up its alley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive