HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
They consider their 'Curio' brand to be a boutique hotel. Not exactly sure how to define that, but they tend to be smaller, it seems.
Boutique hotels tend to be smaller, more intimate and distinctive than your average luxury hotel. Most of them usually have between 10 to 100 rooms (although some have more than that) and are either operated independently or under a licensed collection within a hotel group (i.e., Ascend, Curio, Autograph, etc).

Last edited by James Owen; Nov 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 4:30 PM
Nashville born and raised

Per popular request, here is a rendering of mine showing proposed buildings from a Midtown perspective. The cluster of 20 story hotels in east SoBro (Drury, Marriott, Joseph, Holiday Inn) were not included since they would be hard to see from this viewpoint. Nice problem to have!!

Not perfect, I know.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:53 PM

Just bumping this to the latest page. Too nice to get lost in the shuffle right now.

Quote:
Saturday Morning Surprise!!

'Progress renderings for the dual hotel project across from the Music City (convention) Center (MCC) were revealed in the TENNESSEAN this morning. The 400 room Embassy suites looks to be about 16 floors on top of a 10 story garage for 26 floors +/-. The smaller 250 room, Hilton Curio Hotel looks to be 12 floors on top of an 8 story garage for 20 floors.

They are seeking Metro Nashville approvals for design and I guess height, although I don't think either would be a deal killer. There will be plenty of street activation with the usual sidewalk cafes.

Slightly enhanced (by me) renderings...

The canyonization of Demonbruen Street continues.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Per popular request, here is a rendering of mine showing proposed buildings from a Midtown perspective. The cluster of 20 story hotels in east SoBro (Drury, Marriott, Joseph, Holiday Inn) were not included since they would be hard to see from this viewpoint. Nice problem to have!!

Not perfect, I know.

Great work! Man, Nashville could really use a 700 footer or two. The skyline will look great with a little more height.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Great work! Man, Nashville could really use a 700 footer or two. The skyline will look great with a little more height.
I agree. I also think the area of midtown between Church Street and Charlotte Pike could use a few 20+ story buildings to balance the north/south skyline of midtown.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I agree. I also think the area of midtown between Church Street and Charlotte Pike could use a few 20+ story buildings to balance the north/south skyline of midtown.
I think Charlotte Avenue will have a significant number of mid-rise office/residential buildings constructed in the next decade. Charlotte Avenue is scheduled to have one of the light rail lines proposed in the City's transportation plan and it is recognized as one of the corridors with the most potential for quality growth and development in Nashville.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
I think Charlotte Avenue will have a significant number of mid-rise office/residential buildings constructed in the next decade. Charlotte Avenue is scheduled to have one of the light rail lines proposed in the City's transportation plan and it is recognized as one of the corridors with the most potential for quality growth and development in Nashville.
I hope you're right. Charlotte Pike is ripe to be so much more than what it is. The whole area bound by I-40 to the east, I-440 to the west, Church Street to the south and Charlotte Pike to the north could be so much more than what it is currently. I know there's development near I-440. I'd just like to see several buildings literally between Church and Charlotte closer to I-40 in the neighborhood of 15, 20 even 30 stories. I want to see some 20+ story height before too many low rise and mid-rise buildings go in and Nashville decides on a height limitation based on that. The area is kind of like SoBro before the growth but less industrial looking. But you're right in that there will probably be more mid-rise buildings, which I'm no longer sure what defines mid-rise. Is a mid-rise less between 10 -20 stories?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 4:01 PM

VIRGIN HOTEL GROUNDBREAKING SET FOR APRIL, 2017

It's official, now. Per the TENNESSEAN....

The newly designed hotel will be a 14 story, 260 room high end hotel at the head of 'Music Row' in Nashville's Midtown and featuring a rooftop lounge and as previously reported, a recording studio.

The new design fits in well with the neighboring buildings and features, ...

..located in the empty lot top center just behind the low white building...

....however, the original proposal was a very popular design with its 'Euro-Funky' look which would fit well on Nashville's transforming Music Row.

The developers of this concept were replaced with the current development group by Sir Richard Branson, owner of the Virgin (airlines, hotels, etc.) brand.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jun 9, 2019 at 5:24 PM. Reason: added photo no one will see it anyway but here it is

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 5:00 PM

I'm going to have to assume the renderings of the new design for the Virgin Hotel just doesn't give us the feel of what it will really look like when done. It looks like it'll be relatively bland unless you're in close proximity to it. It might have a bit more curb appeal than anything else. It'll fit into the area but Music Row should be more design forward than what we're seeing. This design reminds me of the former Radisson Hotel in downtown which is now a Doubletree by Hilton.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:03 AM

Quote:
[B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]VIRGIN HOTEL GROUNDBREAKING SET FOR APRIL, 2017

Atlanta commenter and resident, here. Is this the same architecture firm that designed the 725 Ponce /Murder Kroger redevelopment in Atlanta? Seems awfully similar:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:38 AM

More renderings for the Embassy Suites and Hilton Curio duel-branded hotel project on Demonbreun.

See latest renderings for Nashville's Embassy Suites, Curio hotel

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 10:42 AM

More high clarity renderings for the Embassy Suites/Curio Hotel planned for the corner of 8th and Demonbruen directly across from the Convention Center and diagonal from the rising 34 story JW Marriott.

First looking west...

...and still looking west...the Embassy Suites side..

the looking west side at night...

...and now, looking east..the Hotel Curio side..

...and the base...

...and a spectacular aerial view...the 19 story Cambria Suites is on the same lot, but directly behind in this view.

Demolition of the existing buildings are underway, so this project is fairly serious!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:45 PM

That has a big city look!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 8:30 PM

Not a skyscraper, but a impactful development by Lifestyle Communities in the booming Germantown area, just north of downtown. It is well into construction.
The original rendering...

And a more recent, old school watercolor rendering..gotta love it!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:01 PM

I like how the renderings of the Embassy Suites/Curio Hotel looks from the street. While I'm still wanting more height for Nashville, the style of the building will fit in well with the MCC and the JW Marriott. It should definitely add to the street appeal and activity.

I think the developers in Germantown deserve a big round of applause. All of them really seem to understand the nature of that area and continue to build properties that are very appropriate in style and size, without replicating each other.

Does anyone know if the city has any plans to create a park along the Cumberland in Germantown? I was in Old Town Alexandria in Alexandria, VA recently and they have walking paths and various small parks along the Potomac River. Nothing really fancy, just green spaces with benches and areas for people to play and relax. I'm not talking another Riverfront Park. Just a green space with trees and a couple of walkways. it just makes since to have at least one small park in Germantown addressing the river.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post

Does anyone know if the city has any plans to create a park along the Cumberland in Germantown? I was in Old Town Alexandria in Alexandria, VA recently and they have walking paths and various small parks along the Potomac River. Nothing really fancy, just green spaces with benches and areas for people to play and relax. I'm not talking another Riverfront Park. Just a green space with trees and a couple of walkways. it just makes since to have at least one small park in Germantown addressing the river.
There is or will be a greenway along the Cumberland River which will extended from Percy Priest Dam to Metro Center. Some is shown on this portion of the master plan...

It's a start, but I would like to see a promenade built such as I have seen in Montreal.

It's very basic, but inviting and lends itself to supporting artists, musicians and various kiosks. It would provide a reason for the citizens to come downtown and avoid the throngs of tourists.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Dec 6, 2016 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:50 PM

Thanks MidTenn1 for that information. I hope that as part of the green way the city will set aside acreage for small park spaces in Germantown. As I said in Old Town Alexandria in VA along the Potomac River they have a few small parks spaced apart. The one that I believe sees the most use is a park called Water Front Park that is only 1.37 acres. There are others ranging from 1.5 acres to 5 acres. So, you really don't have to reserve a lot of land for park space. The other benefit is that some of the parks in Old Town are linked to the Mount Vernon Trail which is an 18 mile long paved path that starts at George Washington's Mount Vernon Home and runs along the Potomac River and crosses over into Washington, DC at the memorials/monuments on the Mall to include the Lincoln, King, Jefferson and Washington.

I believe Germantown has a small park, but I don't recall anything addressing the river.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:35 PM

A year end compilation of major projects completed, rising and proposed in Nashville.

First, the recently completed projects of note....

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 9:38 PM

The under construction projects...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:00 PM

And the proposed projects...

Latest announcement and very promising...

April 2017 Groundbreaking

Likely but later...

Promising...

We'll see...

Hopeful...

Probably...

Likely...

Likely also...

Promising...

Close...

Likely...

Took a big step toward happening. Very likely...

Hopeful...

No news for a while...??

Start delayed...no word why...

Last edited by MidTenn1; Dec 8, 2016 at 10:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations