HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Willis Tower Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:08 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Gotcha - the Loop (and the few outer blocks N & W to the river) are sort of like what you'd get if you transposed Downtown Manhattan onto Midtown's grid. Very tightly packed.

One big exception though is S Wacker, the street on the other side of Willis from Wells - S Wacker is comparatively broad and feels more like Ave of the Americas (plus, you have a set-back plaza on this face).

-----

Then you've got the landscaped parcel lot on the Jackson side (originally a placeholder for a second smaller tower), and just across the street another landscaped plaza (which was also originally a placeholder for a second (and third!) tower). So a whole lotta open space on this side.

Last edited by wrab; Dec 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:12 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ Gotcha - the Loop (and the few outer blocks N & W to the river) are sort of like what you'd get if you transposed Downtown Manhattan onto Midtown's grid. Very tightly packed.

One big exception though is S Wacker, the street on the other side of Willis from Wells - S Wacker is comparatively broad and feels more like Ave of the Americas (plus, you have a set-back plaza on this face).
I see, now you’re speaking my language. In any case then it should have a pretty cool dense effect. What I do like about the whole idea though is the much apparent architectural contrast that these two structures have with one another. Something modern, yet a tad futuristic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:33 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I see, now you’re speaking my language. In any case then it should have a pretty cool dense effect. What I do like about the whole idea though is the much apparent architectural contrast that these two structures have with one another. Something modern, yet a tad futuristic.
Darn - you got back into it before I finished editing my post! - I was going to say that a better comparison to the base at Jackson might be Chrysler from Lexington (which is Midtown, I know...but we're talking Chicago here...)

Last edited by wrab; Dec 28, 2009 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:50 AM
World Machine

Yeah, it’s all about visualizing the placement I suppose. Eventually when I’m able to visit Chicago I’ll get a clearer idea; hopefully by then this project will have amounted to something. In the meantime I think I have a good visual by comparing it to what I know.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 1:40 PM
Honored Member

ha!

I think that the planned plazas enhance the architecture of the building they front (and others). This is becoming an unsettling trend - maybe next we can build in the plazas in front of Equitable and IBM.....Oh Please, make it so...crying out to all developers and architects...destroy the IBM plaza and build, build, build, and make it high, high, high. Surround its ugliness with futuristic Jetsons designed structures.
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:06 PM
Sonoma Strong

a beautiful tower - maybe too beautiful.

adrian smith did a good job with the challenges of the site. a must-build for chicago.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 3:07 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
adrian smith did a good job with the challenges of the site. a must-build for chicago.
^ Agreed that this is a must-build.

Plus it's actually realistic, unlike the Spire, which I have a feeling is......a goner

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

The best thing that this project will do to the site and the immediate area is that it will bring vibrancy to an area that is very very dead late at night. This hotel coupled with the existing nearby W hotel, the Marriott in the rehabbed old building at Wells/Adams that will open next year and the new residential highrise at VanBuren/Franklin will make this southwest corner of the loop a happening place.

Also the Sears/Willis Tower block is arguably the best situated site in the entire city of Chicago when it comes to transportation. It is near almost every CTA line, many bus routes, it is roughly equidistant to all downtown Metra/South Shore stations, near Megabus and Greyhound stations and it is near the Circle Interchange, the nexus of Chicago's expressway system.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:35 AM

Is this still a proposal or is it cancelled

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:31 AM

Sears II

[edit] looks like the plan is for a bigger lobby - not the uber cool tower.

Feb 2017 Update: http://skyrisecities.com/news/2017/0...c-willis-tower
March 2017 Update: http://skyrisecities.com/news/2017/0...lass-ledgewalk

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Yea, demolition of existing Sky deck entrance/courtyard is underway

EDIT: Just saw your other post

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:21 AM

Both of those ideas in the link are horrible.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:51 AM

L.A. just put that tacky glass slide in the u.s. bank tower. Keep that tacky crap in the tacky cities aka l.a. and vegas.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:53 AM

Quote:

I like the first idea, not a huge fan of the second. I’d love if they’d go in more of a Wilshire Grand route. It’d be amazing if they put a rooftop bar towards the top of the building instead of adding more attractions to the observation deck.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:

What a way to respond to Hancock's Tilt. They aren't playing games lol

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:41 PM

Ugh please don't do the repelling or stair attractions. Why are they trying so hard.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
What a way to respond to Hancock's Tilt. They aren't playing games lol
When I was in Chicago last summer, I went to both the SkyDeck and 360 Chicago. (Thank God for CityPass) And honestly, I found the Ledge at SkyDeck to be a thousand times better than Tilt. Maybe it's because when I arrived in Chicago I went straight for Willis and did Hancock on my last day, and I was in that "I'm in Chicago for real!" kind of mindset, but I thought Tilt was pretty lame. I did like that thing at Hancock where you stepped out and the wind blew at you, and the fact that there are smaller crowds, but Willis definitely doesn't need that staircase. It looks like crap. I don't know about the entrance, though. I used CityPass to get from the street to the top in 5 minutes, but I think waiting outside in the July heat would suck. I think Willis should be like Top of the Rock in NYC where its three stories and you can get the same views from all of them. That would ease the crowds a lot better.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
When I was in Chicago last summer, I went to both the SkyDeck and 360 Chicago. (Thank God for CityPass) And honestly, I found the Ledge at SkyDeck to be a thousand times better than Tilt. Maybe it's because when I arrived in Chicago I went straight for Willis and did Hancock on my last day, and I was in that "I'm in Chicago for real!" kind of mindset, but I thought Tilt was pretty lame. I did like that thing at Hancock where you stepped out and the wind blew at you, and the fact that there are smaller crowds, but Willis definitely doesn't need that staircase. It looks like crap. I don't know about the entrance, though. I used CityPass to get from the street to the top in 5 minutes, but I think waiting outside in the July heat would suck. I think Willis should be like Top of the Rock in NYC where its three stories and you can get the same views from all of them. That would ease the crowds a lot better.
You mean like the 2 entire floors at the John Hancock Tower that has a restaurant and lounge/bar? I know it's not outside, but...you can get a 360 degree view and the views are incredible from pretty much all angles. Tilt is an interesting idea, but you would have been better off just going up to the lounge area (also a better deal than the Observation Deck). In my opinion, the 96th floor lounge offers the best views from a super high up place in Chicago - I prefer it hugely to Willis Tower's views any single second of the year.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:31 AM

Agreed. Nothing like seeing the whole cities grid system at night via street light while drinking a $10 beer.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Agreed. Nothing like seeing the whole cities grid system at night via street light while drinking a $10 beer.
LOL - the place is not cheap, but in all honesty it's by far my favorite high altitude observation area in the city. Even if you have to pay $10 for a beer, it still beats what you pay for the observation deck or Tilt or the SkyDeck in both potential price and the views.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive