HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 5:24 PM

HAMILTON, ON | Connaught Tower | 1,001 FT / 305 M | 100 FLOORS

This is a surprise, wouldn't have expected Harry Stinson to move the former Sapphire Project from Toronto to Hamilton and build a supertall there. If built this would be the only supertall skyscraper that's an actual building in Canada.

http://www.theconnaught.ca/

Tidbits

The existing hotel structure will be restored and extended with the addition of a sleek, glass penthouse level and a new wing along John St. that will architecturally match the façade of the west (white brick and limestone) 1930 wing. At the corner of Main and Catharine will be a dramatic, totally new tower, which is proposed to soar 100 storeys in a needle-like pyramid that will become the iconic landmark of 21st century Hamilton.

The second phase of the project is the spectacular Connaught Tower. Soaring 100 storeys and clad in steel and glass, this gleaming spire will primarily contain larger residential suites (2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments). Given the compact, L-shaped floorplate of the tower, most suites will be corner units with access to wide terraces. On the upper floors (50 through 69), ½ floor layouts will offer windows on three side and 270-degree views. Suites on levels 70 through 80 will occupy the entire floor, providing spectacular panoramas, and total exclusivity. The top 20 floors are allocated to mechanical systems, wind turbines, solar collectors, sway dampers and communications equipment.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 10:35 AM
arf

Wow, way to go Harry. Just stop him from adding the glass penthouse to the existing structures. I don't know that I've seen one that ever did the original structure any justice.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ive never even heard of Hamilton, does it even have any skyscrapers in the city?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

It has Canada's tallest residential building outside of TO, Landmark Place (43-storey).

The proposed Connaught tower will be right next door to it, facing each other.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:28 PM

Quite a surprise. I like how the tower has larger units. I know here in Halifax it's hard to find more then 1 and 2 bedrooms condos.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
arf

For anyone interested, you can read Hamilton's local thread on it here.

At least Stinson is good for a soap opera. At least based on all the stuff I previously read on Stinson's Sapphire proposal in Toronto.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 4:50 PM

And if this were to get built it would actually be the tallest building in Canada, but located in Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:53 PM

Reality check time...every Canadian (except for those who reside in Hamilton) knows this building will never be built. Anyone can put out a proposal that looks flashy, but it takes deep pockets and good connections to have something like this built. I do not believe that Harry has either of these anymore.

I do wish that Hamilton would get a tower that looks like this and is maybe a more reasonable height (500 feet?), but I would not even hold my breath for that.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 7:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Still no deal on Connaught development

Hamilton Spectator
7/7/08

Harry Stinson is still working to close the deal for the Connaught.

The developer who plans to renovate the downtown Hamilton hotel is negotiating with the local consortium that owns it.

Stinson’s $9.5-million purchase of the hotel was to have closed June 30. That deadline passed with both sides continuing to talk, but declining to reveal what issues might be on the table, or when a deal might be reached.

“I am determined to see the project happen,” Stinson says.

Stinson plans to renovate and expand the existing hotel building, turning the upper floors into condominiums and offices, while operating the lower floors as a boutique hotel.

When that stage is complete, he plans to build 80 storeys of condominiums where the Connaught parking lot is now located.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 9:13 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Hmm, that design looks an awful lot like the London Bridge Tower... Very interesting, haha...

I doubt this project will happen, but here's hoping... Btw, what happened to Sapphire in Toronto? Obviously it won't be built but what finally did it in?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Btw, what happened to Sapphire in Toronto? Obviously it won't be built but what finally did it in?
Shadows apparently.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 9:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It has Canada's tallest residential building outside of TO, Landmark Place (43-storey).

The proposed Connaught tower will be right next door to it, facing each other.
I don't think this is true anymore. North York, Mississuaga et al have taller residential buildings (unless we're counting them as part of TO, which they are - they wouldn't exist if not for the big smoke, but I digress).
I assume that Vancouver has a taller condo tower than Landmark Place or even Montreal, but I'm not certain.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 9:51 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

^Montreal currently does not.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 9:53 PM

This would be so bad ass if built. *Fingers crossed for the finances to come through.*

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Reality check time...every Canadian (except for those who reside in Hamilton) knows this building will never be built. Anyone can put out a proposal that looks flashy, but it takes deep pockets and good connections to have something like this built. I do not believe that Harry has either of these anymore.

I do wish that Hamilton would get a tower that looks like this and is maybe a more reasonable height (500 feet?), but I would not even hold my breath for that.
Rest assured that not even all Hamiltonians are expecting this thing to ever get built.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I don't think this is true anymore. North York, Mississuaga et al have taller residential buildings (unless we're counting them as part of TO, which they are - they wouldn't exist if not for the big smoke, but I digress).
Just a technical note: North York is part of the city of Toronto, but Mississauga is not.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:38 PM

Wow! this is a real surprise. If it happens could be the most significant development in Hamilton in a long long time. Could jump start other major developments in the city, especially if there is significant cost saving versus building in Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:05 AM

Hi everybody!

I've been lurking around this site for a few months, but with this new development I felt compelled to create an account. I live just outside Hamilton and I think I'm well situated to watch this one go up, if it goes up. I must admit, it comes as a surprise to me that Canada's first true supertall should be built in the giant slum that is Hamilton, but I nevertheless hope this is built.

I should be able to take pictures when/if it is built, so I will try to do that if/when the time comes. Hell, I can see Hamilton's current tallest building from my back yard.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmandan View Post
I must admit, it comes as a surprise to me that Canada's first true supertall should be built in the giant slum that is Hamilton
As a relative newcomer to Hamilton, I've always found it perplexing that so many people here hate the city so much. Other cities I've been to are at least as bad or even worse. This city has huge potential, but I'm sceptical that it will ever be realized with all the self-loathing and squelchers in the local population. Add to this the complete ignorance about what the city has to offer. Half the people in my neighbourhood have barely set foot in the lower city.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:34 AM

I too think that Hamilton has huge potential. It is well situated for growth and it has a lot of beautiful architecture in the central core....many Victorian row houses that are crying to be fixed up.

I just don't believe that this project will go ahead due to who is spearheading it. I want to be proven wrong because Hamilton deserves some good things to happen to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive