HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:49 AM

Yay!

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:08 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

The units in MIX are so small. If I were interested in this project (maybe in a year or two I would be) I think I'd have to hold out for Marconi or whatever will be in Mirador. For such a small price increase you get like double the space...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:09 PM

I watched a group of mennonites build an entire community in a month. The speed of this particular project is redonkulous

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:25 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

How is the construction of the garage coming along? We haven't had any updates since April. It seems it's been under construction for about 15 months now. My favourite comparison for construction is the Empire State Building (102 floors), which took only about 13 months. However, the Sydney Opera House took 14 years, the St. John's Basilica took about 6 years (and the Great pyramid took 20) ! At this rate the entire project might rival any of these latter ones for duration.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
How is the construction of the garage coming along? We haven't had any updates since April. It seems it's been under construction for about 15 months now. My favourite comparison for construction is the Empire State Building (102 floors), which took only about 13 months. However, the Sydney Opera House took 14 years, the St. John's Basilica took about 6 years (and the Great pyramid took 20) ! At this rate the entire project might rival any of these latter ones for duration.
they seem to be doing it in 3 sections, they have one section pretty much done or at least the lower half and the middle section is about half up and they are working on the foundation for the 3rd section ... it's actually very large

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 12:14 PM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 12:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent. I love this project so much.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:48 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Upwards of 150 workers will be employed during peak construction. Henry Bell Development should be ready in 12 to 14 months.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...36563&latest=1

Really?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Ha... I thought the same thing when I first read the article.

However, great to see this thread come alive again! It was running fairly stagnant for the past couple of months.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:34 PM

I'd be surprised if the parking garage was finished in 12 months, let alone the Mix or Marconi.

But hey, it's confirmation that they're pushing ahead, so I'm happy

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:23 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

MetroPark construction, early October 2013.

The concrete columns and arches are actually interesting to see at this stage of construction.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:44 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

More of the Henry Bell site:

Construction is now proceeding on the East part of the site:

Considerable disruption on Henry Street:

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Woot woot. Looking good.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 5:42 PM

It even looks slightly further ahead than it was last january! It might be finished by 2020 if they keep up the speedy work

Great update shots though!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:56 AM

Looks like rumors of the project being stalled are false! Drove past it yesterday and noticed they were indeed digging up the road for the electrical lines!
Project not stalled, developer saysBonnie BelecPublished on November 21, 2013Share 0
0 CommentSend to a friendPrintPower lines installed this week for condos on Duckworth StreetIf there’s any truth to the rumour that a condominium project on Duckworth Street is stalled, someone forgot to tell the developer.

© — Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram
Workers install conduits for electrical wiring for the Henry Bell development on Duckworth Street in St. John’s Wednesday afternoon.
“You hear rumours all the time about this and that, but the rumour about us being on hold is not true,” said Colin Whitcomb, executive vice-president of The Hardman Group Ltd.

Based in Halifax, The Hardman Group is the lead partner in the Henry Bell development project on Duckworth Street in St. John’s, which includes the transformation of two old buildings into condos and the construction of a parking garage.

There have been recent comments surrounding the progress of the project and suggestions the development was put on hold because the market is saturated with condos.

One real estate agent told The Telegram Wednesday she heard the rumour recently and as far back as two months ago.

But Whitcomb said nothing could be further from the truth.

“We’re actively selling units and, in fact, sold some this week. And this week, if not today, we’ve started excavating into Duckworth Street to start running the main electrical feeds for the Mix and the Marconi buildings. We have to get those power feeds in and the transformer with Newfoundland Power before we can start working on the condominiums once we get the permit approvals,” he told The Telegram Wednesday.

The former CBC and Newfoundland Telephone buildings will be converted into condos, but Whitcomb said the parking garage — to be called MetroPark — will be built first.

Whitcomb said the CBC building will be renamed the Marconi, with 50 condos and two commercial units on the ground floor on Duckworth Street, and the telephone building will be renamed the Mix, with 77 condos and ground floor retail accessible through Duckworth Street and McBride’s Hill.

The reutilization is needed in that area of town, he said, and while the buildings appear to have a negative presence right now, they will be turned into a positive asset for downtown.

“I know people are anxious to see that happening,” he said.

The parking garage, with 416 public and private parking spaces, will be finished first, and will open sometime around the middle of next year.

“On top of that, we have planning approval to put another five-storey structure on top of the parking garage,” said Whitcomb.

“Now we’re going to want to get the other two buildings renovated and completed before we get underway with another building on top of the parking structure, but that is the long-term plan. We’re not actively promoting that part of the project right now.”

According to the website condosmix.com, that building will be called the Mirador and will be the tallest residential building in St. John’s.

Whitcomb said the condos will probably take about a year to 14 months to build once they get started.

bbelec@thetelegram.com

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...veloper-says/1

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:56 PM

Awesome news! I drive through there pretty often and they've definitely stepped up the work on the garage. Hopefully they start on the Mix and Marconi soon.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:43 PM

Sounds great! I'm so glad he project isn't stalled; just taking a long time haha but it'll definitely be worth it in the end!

One thing that isn't true, Mirador will not be the tallest residential building in St. John's. It's certainly not going to be taller than Tiffany, the existing building or the approved 16 story towers. Not sure what they mean by this. Maybe they're gonna propose additional stories in the future? Or maybe it's just taller than I realize

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:35 PM

It would be nice to see some activity on the small extension and additional floor (the glass part) of the Mix building, then it would seem like real progress.

I know that one of the conditions of the project approval was that the Metro park had to be finished before they could occupy any condos so I guess they will kick-start work on the condos by early next year.

Another thing I thought of, as I always do, is the financing for the project. I think the City is putting up a good chuck of the money for Metro Park (as they did with the garage portion of 351 Water) so if I was the developer I'd certainly spend their money first before I spend my own.

I have faith in the Hardman Group, they have been around for years. This project, when finished, will be the envy of all other developers...IMO.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:05 PM

Re: the financing, that makes sense Horsell.

Another thing that may be a factor is providing parking for all the workers that will be required to construct the condos. I was thinking they may want to get the garage finished so they can provide parking to the construction workers.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quick question.. Will MIX be extended to meet water street and have an entrance on both Duckworth and Water? I don't remember this being the case but seeing how there is no building in that stretch of water street got me wondering. It would be fantastic if they did

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's