HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:56 PM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:19 PM

Impressive!

This picture is f**kin hot ^^^

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:27 PM

Thought it was going to be a picture in the snow, but still satisfying!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:12 PM

Sigh... the two phases should have been one phase.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:34 AM

Looks fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:37 AM

wouldn't it be sweet to see the Cheetah site be developed with an architecturally related 600ft plus tower?!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:56 PM

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:33 PM

The phase 1 tower opened yesterday.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/1/9/...er-open-photos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:26 PM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:30 PM

Beautiful.

And at long last, Spring Street is freeee! (at least on this block)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
And at long last, Spring Street is freeee! (at least on this block)
It's good to have such a boom going on but I'm looking forward to getting back to normal. All the noise, debris, and lane closures are getting obnoxious, and I've had more nails and screws in my tires as I can handle. At least they're getting better about keeping sidewalks open. This area will be amazing in a couple years.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:39 PM

Phase two is still causing multiple lane closures on this block, at least it was this morning. I drive down Spring and/or West Peachtree just about every day, and the lack of oversight by the city on how these developments interact with the street and sidewalks is mind boggling. I complained to my city council rep not too long ago, and he basically confirmed that no one in the city cares about or is in charge of managing lane/sidewalk closures, congestion related to construction, etc. I know in the grand scheme of things I am mostly complaining about my own convenience, but it is indicative of a larger problem with our city and the lack of institutional focus on some basic things a city should be able to handle, like making sure sidewalks and lanes aren't closed for three years by a mid-rise development (looking at you Hanover). All the development in midtown is great, but it has really highlighted to me that the city has no real plan, procedures, or infrastructure in place to make it work properly. I hope the new mayor takes more of an interest in this type of thing, but I'm not holding my breath, and I don't expect those corridors to improve anytime soon in this regard. I'm done with my rant now.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:06 PM
i ain't no bubba

In the photo above two of the solar-powered charging stations can be seen...interesting addition to the plaza. I'm anxious to see the lobby sculpture from inside. It's pretty dramatic from outside, especially at night.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:07 PM
Kev K

After being initially hesitant about the design with no active usage along W Peachtree in Phase 1, I think the final product is quite pleasant for the pedestrian experience. With the mix of folks out in this area at all times and days of the week, this should become a place where a person will feel comfortable lingering. They may want to throw some of those metal things on their nice granite retaining walls though, because the skaters will be out in full force in no time!

Lastly, the most recent few projects to finish in Midtown have used LED streetlighting at a reasonable 3000K color temperature, which is MILES better than the High Pressure Sodium crap lighting installed in this city.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:12 PM

I think the fake turf just looks awkward there in an urban environment like that and I already saw a skater there like a couple of months ago.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:38 PM

Crazy to think there's still more room for development along 5th, 8th, and either side of 10th street along this stretch of Spring Street. As "dense" as Midtown is getting, we probably have at least 7+ good lots for development between 5th and 10th Street alone and another 15+ lots between 10th and 14th. Here's hoping we design well for each with an assortment of functions.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:34 PM

That is incorrect about NCR not having an active use on that stretch. The coffee shop is an Octane Coffee shop under the name Wired and is open to the public, as is most of the W. Peachtree Lobby.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
That is incorrect about NCR not having an active use on that stretch. The coffee shop is an Octane Coffee shop under the name Wired and is open to the public, as is most of the W. Peachtree Lobby.
That's the problem with these trophy office developments though. The retail always feels like it's only for employees and not the general public due to fancy, flashy, corporate lobbies(and sometime street setbacks). This is why I always say apartment developments foster good street presence far better than office buildings because the retail is more personal and open to the public.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:28 PM

I really wish they would had berried those power lines outside of the tech student tower.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
I really wish they would had berried those power lines outside of the tech student tower.
Just wanted to point out the student tower is a private development and not GT housing, despite many GT students living there. You probably already know that, but I wanted to make sure any lurkers were not misled.

I agree it would be better if we buried our power lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta