HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:06 AM

I very much like the idea of improved utilization of existing space as opposed to bringing more space on to the market. The surface lot is obviously wildly offensive. That needs to disappear, asap.

Overall, decent project. The look isn't especially good, but it should bring more people to a part of downtown that would be improved by having more people brought to it. Mild win.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:24 AM

Selinger being financial prudent with taxpayers dollars I guess. It s not the end of the world I guess! I would have preferred a new flashy tower, but supposedly true north is proceeding ahead anyway

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:32 PM

I guess the requirement in the RFP to be connected to the Winnipeg skywalk system won't be met as it would have to go over the roofs of a few other buildings to connect to the south leg.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I guess the requirement in the RFP to be connected to the Winnipeg skywalk system won't be met as it would have to go over the roofs of a few other buildings to connect to the south leg.
There was some talk in one of the threads about the Chipmans pushing to close the Ellice LC and further speculation the cityplace LC could also close in lieu of a flagship LC in their new building. Not a great idea with no connection to the skywalk system.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Late to the party here, I see I'm having the same reaction you all did. I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw that. Yikes.
It probably wouldn't be so bad - except for the hideous Medical Arts Building as the focal point. This is a building without any redeeming features. Boxy, brutal and those "archer" windows don't do it any favours. It would be great if this development could at least try to address some of the ugliness of Medical Arts, but ain't nobody got a budget for that.

Giant "meh" from me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Selinger being financial prudent with taxpayers dollars I guess.
The language in a number of articles I've read suggests that the decision on this was made by L&L and the government didn't have much input. The articles suggest that Selinger and the NDP were quite surprised, and many in the NDP aren't happy that it didn't go to True North.

Example: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...330010751.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:24 PM

Did I imagine where True North (and I think TV) mentioned a connection between them and MLLC still? ie. "something" for TN's project?

Like the above poster, I thought perhaps a large, flashy flagship store at TN's project...?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:45 PM

If True North is concerned with how the Ellice liquor store affects one of their properties why would they want to have a liquor store in True North Square?

Also, has Prairie Architects ever designed anything remotely attractive?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:08 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It was mentioned today that the move to buy this building was to make liquor sales more difficult to privitize by future governments.

To imagine the politics didn't play a role in this is pretty naive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It was mentioned today that the move to buy this building was to make liquor sales more difficult to privitize by future governments.

I don't know. You could still pretty easily move to an Alberta model where the government controls the wholesale distribution and the private market handles the retail arm without completely dismantling their need for administrative space.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:25 PM

My gut is saying the total cost of the MLLC project including the purchase of the building, parkade and renovation is a big piece to the story here, especially the parkade. It would not be surprising to see the below grade portion of the parkade become fully separated and only for staff, especially senior management. On the above grade side of things the amount for visitors to non-MLLC tenants would be greatly reduced to the point it is almost non-existent.

I also found it surprising to learn the Medical Arts as it is today has a vacancy rate of about 50%. I always thought it was much closer to 100% occupancy. I would imagine the future proofing of the MLLC taking over additional floors if needed is another strong aspect of this proposal. Along those same lines the rental income from other tenants on floors MLLC is not using factors into the overall project cost. Owning the building and lease five floors is going to help pay down the purchase costs.

Separate from the design thoughts, it will be interesting how access to the building is handled on the first and second floor. I would imagine MLLC would want to have secure space however the access causes some issue for that.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:06 PM

Probably if will be like most other government buildings and access to the MLl floors and then the individual office spaces off the elevator lobby will all be with access control fobs for staff.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:49 PM

So, Prairie Architects is actually on the list of ineligible respondents to the RFP given their status as consultant to MBLL. That said, there's a clause that allows those who are on that list to request and be granted permission, but does anybody know for certain whether Prairie is going to be the architect of record on this project? Biff? Vike?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Mentioned by who? Someone with an active imagination about conspiracy theories?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
So, Prairie Architects is actually on the list of ineligible respondents to the RFP given their status as consultant to MBLL. That said, there's a clause that allows those who are on that list to request and be granted permission, but does anybody know for certain whether Prairie is going to be the architect of record on this project? Biff? Vike?
I don't know any of the details like you have presented above but....yes, as far as I know.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't know any of the details like you have presented above but....yes, as far as I know.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 7:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Mentioned by who? Someone with an active imagination about conspiracy theories?
It's mentioned by whom.

It was Dave Shorr I believe. Could have been someone in a conversation with Dave Shorr, don't recall.

Last edited by Riverman; Sep 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:30 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:32 PM
What could go wrong?

From Bartley Kivis on Twitter:

Bartley Kives ‏@bkives 17m17 minutes ago

"You know that small surface lot along Graham Avenue in the Liquor & Lotteries HQ drawing? Ain't gonna happen, Minister Lemieux pledges.

Lemieux said the MLL HQ design is just that and the building will conform to modern urban standards."
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:39 PM

Minister Lemieux? From the Provincial government? I guess he'll use his "Royal" powers to kibosh the plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan