HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:50 PM

Victoria's was finished in two phases between 1989-1990. Cadillac-Fairview was the developer. The project entailed the demolition of the old Eaton's store complex and perhaps the finest heritage building in the city along with it:

Quote:
Eaton's had occupied much of two central blocks of downtown since 1948; its retail facilities were housed in a collection of 10 buildings, some dating back to 1893...

I believe there is some sort of business college or something now on the unfortunate top floor of Victoria's Bay Centre.

Aren't all of these malls just smaller versions of the big one in Toronto?

Last edited by aastra; May 1, 2007 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
It is funny how similar these places look:

Victoria:

(pic from www.inlingua.ca)

(pic from www.tourismvictoria.com)

Victoria's Eaton's/Bay Centre had some tough years and the top floor is indeed a misfit, but the mall itself seems to be doing very well now. I was in there during the week maybe a month ago and the place was packed. Could the recent surge in downtown condo construction be the reason? Time will tell, I suppose.
As far as aesthetics those malls are really quite nice...maybe people just like their malls to all be on one or two floors?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
As far as aesthetics those malls are really quite nice...maybe people just like their malls to all be on one or two floors?
Spreading everything out over one floor is bad. It's a waste of space and you have to do too much walking from one end to the other. It's like sprawl.

Two's usually about right. Three at most if the area's demographics can justify it (eg. Metrotown Centre, Eaton Centre Toronto).

Last edited by Nutterbug; May 1, 2007 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 12:14 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Anyone in Calgary remember how dead Frankin Mall was a few years back?? They really turned that mall around with T&T Supermarket and others...
Well, it's not even called Franklin Mall anymore, it's Pacific Place. Having all but completely taken over by Chinese businesses it's quite an interesting place to shop. The Movie Dome is an interesting relic of the 70s, the original paint job is fairly intact.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:31 AM
GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
I've heard second/third-hand that its sales PSF are

Ive actually heard from some pretty reputable sources that Edmonton City Centre sales PSF are doing rather decently these days...$400 - $450 /sq ft+. Certainly not the best sales in Canada, but hardly laughable.

The mall seems to be doing quite well the last time I was there. Several larger stores and undergoing major renos, it seems most of the smaller, shitty stores have been replaced with better stuff - and for the most part, other then a couple spaces on the basement of Eaton Center side, nearly all the retail spots are full or have something coming.

Even the theater renovations have finally started!! I noticed they finally started painting over the pink and green!!

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:50 AM

What about Montreal's Les Ailes?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanE View Post
Ive actually heard from some pretty reputable sources that Edmonton City Centre sales PSF are doing rather decently these days...$400 - $450 /sq ft+. Certainly not the best sales in Canada, but hardly laughable.

The mall seems to be doing quite well the last time I was there. Several larger stores and undergoing major renos, it seems most of the smaller, shitty stores have been replaced with better stuff - and for the most part, other then a couple spaces on the basement of Eaton Center side, nearly all the retail spots are full or have something coming.

Even the theater renovations have finally started!! I noticed they finally started painting over the pink and green!!
I assumed murman was referring to laughing all the way to the bank. Especially the Tim Hortons....

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:03 AM
Stuck in TO for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I think the basement and ground floors are doing fine now, it's mostly the upper floors of Les Ailes store itself that's in bad shape. I remember all the hype there was they first opened at the ex-Eaton site, there was even like an art gallery type of display on the top floor. But things went downwards pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog
Wonder what they had to remove in order to make this building a reality...
This is built directly above Montreal's Central Station (trains), which I believe was an open trench of tracks prior to that (same with Place Ville-Marie). So it was more like an infill than replacement.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:11 AM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
they simply closed the upper 2 floors of Les ailes de la mode, that space has been converted into office space.

The mall itself is alive and pretty much full except a couple of spaces here and there

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:49 AM
BANNED

There's a mall on the corner of cote vertu and l'acadie... absolute worst ever I've seen. That thing is not upkept at all! If you ever have some time to waste, pay the restroom a visit and you might catch a couple of construction workers spending their "break" time there.

That location is prime, it could be razed and convert it into something more intresting or even condos.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:21 AM
Hicksville Perspective

On the topic of failed malls but from a slightly different angle - what 'still kicking' malls in your city would you like to see go belly up and be redeveloped ... or at least undergo a mega renovaton as the decor etc. is either 20 years out of date or has undergone some renovations which are fugly and by extension the whole mall looks like ... well ... crap ...

A few which come to mind for me are -

West Edmonton Mall - Edmonton, AB
St. Albert Centre - St. Albert, AB
Guilford Town Centre - Surrey, BC
Lansdowne Shopping Centre - Richmond, BC
Seven Oaks Shopping Centre - Abbotsford, BC
... plus far too many strip malls throughout AB and BC to mention

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:40 AM
REALTOR

^^ The DownTown mall area in calgary Needs to be renovated. from eatons centre to TD square to scotia centre. right now it feels like there are large of dead spots in between the segments. It's also not very flowing, and the connection with bankers hall could also be fixed, even tho the bankers hall side is really nice.

Last edited by GoflamesGo; May 2, 2007 at 6:47 AM. Reason: Added a comment

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Guilford Town Centre - Surrey, BC
Lansdowne Shopping Centre - Richmond, BC
those two for sure

guildford is apparently getting a long overdue renovation as well as a big expansion - i think its happenning near the sears side - apparently they will demolish some of the struture there and rebuild it as well as renovate the entrire mall making it over 1 million sq feet when complete

i think it will be done in time for 2010

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
In Winnipeg, CityPlace downtown and probably Garden City are the most dead. I haven't been to Garden City in years though.
garden city is not dead. the cdn tire has helped with solving that.

as for city place.

formaly Eaton Place renamed after the demolition of eatons
from graham ave you can see the the 2 story monstrocity that was behind eatons and to the left is the old catilog warehouse all offices above the 2nd floor for CN and MPI

when eatons closed it sufferd just like portage place did but it took the bigest hit... especially when the skywalk link between portage place and Eaton place was severed during the demolition of Eatons and construction of MTS place. in the 2(3?) years since mts place opened lot more foot traffic threw there now is putting demand to fill the empty store fronts on the 2nd floor in the mall and the food court is crazy at lunch now and theres plans to put a skywalk link across to the hotels and convention center soon

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 7:14 AM

is there a holt renfrew in winnipeg?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 7:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
is there a holt renfrew in winnipeg?
NO.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 7:21 AM

they could revive that mall - i thought they were in every province

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:30 AM

Regarding the Royal City center in New Westminster I beleive they just recently lost the Sears store...havent been there in a couple months but im guessing its going to be going downhill now, even when i was in there last fall it was prety much dead and there were only a bunch of seniors in the food court(though all the stores on the lower level were ocupied, upper level is just office). Also the residential tower to be built above where the Sears was is back on, and the mall recently got sold to a new owner.

Another dead mall for Vancouver that a few years ago finaly got redeveloped was Champlain Mall, now its bunch of 4-5 story condos and a nice small plaza with a mini indoor food court with a couple stores.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:34 AM

there never was a sears in royal centre in new west

Zellers took over the old woodwards location and pulled out in january i think

last time i was there it was quite busy, mostly seniors - the shoppers drug mart moved to a new store with a street entrance so it can stay open till midnight - previously it was in the mall with a mall entrance only

yeah its pretty bad - can't imagine what it will do without a good anchor

they are putting condos up though where the zellers used to be

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:05 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

In Ottawa, most of the dying malls were small regional ones that have been put down and replaced with strip malls: Pinecrest, Barrhaven, Elmvale, Shoppers City.

The worst mall in the city is Herongate which should be bulldozed. Walking in there you feel like you could get mugged at any time.

Most of the local malls survive pretty much because of their anchors and redeveloping malls like Merivale, Westgate, Lincoln Fields, Hazeldean and Gloucester Centre into plazas wouldn't be a bad thing.

The worst regional mall in Ottawa would be Place D'Orleans. It's the newest one and the only one outside the Greenbelt as well as south of the Queensway. I haven't been there in awhile but it's lost a lot of stores over the years and has had to replace them with RCMP offices, a storefront school and a Goodlife Health Club.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada