HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 2:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham Transit Thread

Now that the City of Birmingham will actually be home to a rapid transit line, I think it is time that the Southeast forum enjoy a thread acknowledging it.

You and can read most about it at: http://birminghamtransitprogram.org/

The BJCTA (Birmingham Jefferson County Transit Authority) has opened the new bus terminal in downtown, and the intermodal station next door for Amtrak, Greyhound, and Megabus is near completion. Both of these facilities rival most Southeastern metros with populations of around 1 million to 2 million.

I hope that this thread will chronicle the progress of our new facilities and better express to the outside world our newly optimistic approach to public transportation.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 1:39 AM

Unhappy Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Now that the City of Birmingham will actually be home to a rapid transit line, I think it is time that the Southeast forum enjoy a thread acknowledging it.

You and can read most about it at: http://birminghamtransitprogram.org/

The BJCTA (Birmingham Jefferson County Transit Authority) has opened the new bus terminal in downtown, and the intermodal station next door for Amtrak, Greyhound, and Megabus is near completion. Both of these facilities rival most Southeastern metros with populations of around 1 million to 2 million.

I hope that this thread will chronicle the progress of our new facilities and better express to the outside world our newly optimistic approach to public transportation.
Actually- Most major Southern cities are still discussing and planning their intermodal facilities. Like I have always said, once Birmingham makes a decision to do something, it jumps in with both feet! Now if we could only get some competent, aggressive management at our airport so we can stem the service decline we have witnessed over the past five years. We are really going backwards in that regard.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
Actually- Most major Southern cities are still discussing and planning their intermodal facilities. Like I have always said, once Birmingham makes a decision to do something, it jumps in with both feet! Now if we could only get some competent, aggressive management at our airport so we can stem the service decline we have witnessed over the past five years. We are really going backwards in that regard.
I agree that lack of the the BRT's connection to the airport is a tremendous shortcoming, but I do think that the construction of the new bus terminal and intermodal facility (two high-quality facilities) the city is making a great step forward in public transit.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I agree that lack of the the BRT's connection to the airport is a tremendous shortcoming, but I do think that the construction of the new bus terminal and intermodal facility (two high-quality facilities) the city is making a great step forward in public transit.
Sometime last year MAX started a 3 month trial run of a shuttle bus from all the downtown hotels directly to the Airport. But that may have been just practice for the World Games in 2021 and maybe not a permanent project. They have at least established a route.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:42 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I do wonder, considering the unusually (compared to other cities) wide streets in downtown that lend themselves to enhanced mass transit, what might the BJCTA try to implement in the future?

It's awesome that the BJCTA is going to implement a Bus Rapid Transit corridor along 1st Ave/US 11, but I'm curious about what the BJCTA might consider once our BRT is up and running. I'll mention that the BRT plan is along a perfect corridor as far as people who need to use it, as well as businesses that need to be served.

I wonder what comes in the future.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:16 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Good Christmas news! BJCTA has contacted the company I work for regarding several locations that the transit authority wants to construct proper bus shelters.

We've received many notices regarding issues at locations that BJCTA wished to construct proper bus shelters.

Odd to think, but Birmingham's transit system is improving day by day.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 1:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The new Birmingham Intermodal and MAX Central Terminal are all finally operational.

All major, land-based, inter-city transport entities that in Birmingham all have their central hubs or stations ALL within 3 contiguous blocks in downtown, with the exception of Greyhound which will move to the Intermodal later this month.

I drove by the Intermodal this evening and there were travelers sitting in the waiting area and the digital displays were lit up! Looking forward to this facility an impact on Amtrak ridership!!!!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:36 PM
The Salty Ham

It is great having two nice new welcome mats for travelers with the intermodal and the airport.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is great having two nice new welcome mats for travelers with the intermodal and the airport.
I'll 2nd that!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 1:57 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I can't wait till the BRT drops off riders between the inter-modal and MAX bus terminal. 1) It will give low-income residents easier access to intercity transit and their workplaces, and 2) It will make mass transit more appealing to others by providing off-board ticket validation and elevated platforms for easy access.

I can't wait!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast