HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

View Poll Results: Should the B.C. government explore amalgamating Metro Vancouver's municipalities?
Yes 82 71.30%
No 33 28.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Shelters for Homeless Chicken didn't go sideways. It was a stupid, idiotic idea from the word go.
If you don't live in Vancouver. What difference does it make to you?

Are you going to say laneway houses are stupid?

Of course if you do live in Vancouver. Then at the next election vote for the person who you feel best represents your interests.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I'm curious do you actually live in the City of Vancouver? From the posts your making you sound like someone from the Valley who is pissed off at the City of Vancouver for not doing what it should to make life easier for people from the Valley.

So your saying to make life easier for you and others we should just build a freeway right by my house. Just so that you and others can get to work a few minutes faster. Be damned with where I live. Do you not think that when I used to drive. I wasn't stuck in the same traffic as everyone else in Vancouver. I used to think man it sure would be nice if they just ellimanted all these lights and I could just get to where I want to go as quickly as possible. But I also realized it is the price we pay for living in the city.

You may think people in Vancouver are all being self centred and creme-de-la-creme. But truthfully they don't really care.
Actually I own a house in the City but I don't seem to have the same feelings of condecension you do towards those who live in the suburbs. How 'bout you? Renting in Kits or the West End? There's nothing wrong with that - but don't make the mistake of thinking it represents the majority of those in Metro (or even in the City). There are plenty of reasons people choose to live in the suburbs, all as valid as the reasons people choose to live in the City. Would I like to see everyone coming into the City take transit? Sure, but the political will and the money has been lacking to make that an effective option for most of those living in a time-pressed society.

The region has grown beyond the point where the various municipalities can make decisions beneficial for the whole. Vancouver's attitude has been to raise the ramparts if you will, and that's not good. And the NPA has been just as guilty as anyone for that.

I'm selfish in that I want to see the benefits that Vancouver has received from being the centre of Metro (retail, dining, sports, cultural) retained here. And its only possible if people from outside the City can access them.

BTW, I'm totally in favour of laneway houses if they're properly scaled. the ones I have seen fit in well to their neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Actually I own a house in the City but I don't seem to have the same feelings of condecension you do towards those who live in the suburbs. How 'bout you? Renting in Kits or the West End? There's nothing wrong with that - but don't make the mistake of thinking it represents the majority of those in Metro (or even in the City). There are plenty of reasons people choose to live in the suburbs, all as valid as the reasons people choose to live in the City. Would I like to see everyone coming into the City take transit? Sure, but the political will and the money has been lacking to make that an effective option for most of those living in a time-pressed society.

The region has grown beyond the point where the various municipalities can make decisions beneficial for the whole. Vancouver's attitude has been to raise the ramparts if you will, and that's not good. And the NPA has been just as guilty as anyone for that.

I'm selfish in that I want to see the benefits that Vancouver has received from being the centre of Metro (retail, dining, sports, cultural) retained here. And its only possible if people from outside the City can access them.

BTW, I'm totally in favour of laneway houses if they're properly scaled. the ones I have seen fit in well to their neighbourhoods.
Actually I live in South East Vancouver. Where you said "Regular" folks lived.

I have nothing against people who live outside of the city. What I'm against is people telling me that I need to change my area to accommodate them. I've never complained about anything that was done in the Valley. Even though at times I might have felt "man what a stupid decision that was." To me it was just something I had to deal with.

You mentioned that you'd like to see more people taking transit but that political will has been quite poor. In that regard I do agree with you. Which is why I'm afraid of amalgamation. I know that a higher percentage of people outside of Vancouver drive rather than take transit. So if you were to take a poll asking people a simple question of "Should we invest more in transit or build more roads?" Chances are in Vancouver because more people take transit they would vote for transit. But those in the Valley because more of them drive. You would probably get less people voting for transit and more for the expanded roads. So can you see how I'd be afraid of people from the Valley teaming up to expand the roads in Vancouver because most of them drive and that is all they know.

As I was saying if you want to Amalgamate to have services under one umbrella. Than sure I'd support that. But to amalgamate just to force Vancouver and the people who live in it to do something that they don't want to do. I could never support that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Actually I live in South East Vancouver. Where you said "Regular" folks lived.

I have nothing against people who live outside of the city. What I'm against is people telling me that I need to change my area to accommodate them. I've never complained about anything that was done in the Valley. Even though at times I might have felt "man what a stupid decision that was." To me it was just something I had to deal with.

You mentioned that you'd like to see more people taking transit but that political will has been quite poor. In that regard I do agree with you. Which is why I'm afraid of amalgamation. I know that a higher percentage of people outside of Vancouver drive rather than take transit. So if you were to take a poll asking people a simple question of "Should we invest more in transit or build more roads?" Chances are in Vancouver because more people take transit they would vote for transit. But those in the Valley because more of them drive. You would probably get less people voting for transit and more for the expanded roads. So can you see how I'd be afraid of people from the Valley teaming up to expand the roads in Vancouver because most of them drive and that is all they know.

As I was saying if you want to Amalgamate to have services under one umbrella. Than sure I'd support that. But to amalgamate just to force Vancouver and the people who live in it to do something that they don't want to do. I could never support that.
I don't know if your generalizations are 100% accurate.

The people of Coquitlam are clamoring for Evergreen line, and while the people of Port Moody might not want to play the TOD ballgame, they do still want the line passing through their town. You have large, fairly organized groups in North Surrey dead set against gateway, although their rhetoric has died down since concrete plans were laid for Rapid Bus service. People everywhere in the lower mainland used to drive everywhere, but look at areas in Burnaby and New Westminster that have been changed by improved Transit. Look at the thousands that take Expo Line from Surrey every day.

Just because a majority of people in the Valley drive, doesn't mean the majority are against transit expansion. If you ask people around here what they think of Translink, they think it's a joke. Not because they are wasting their time bringing elitist transit to the unwashed masses of redneck hicks in the valley, but in fact the opposite: because it's not good enough.

As I said before, the local focused government knife cuts both ways.

While you might like the fact that Vancouver Council looks out for the interests of locals, that might be detrimental. There are groups all over the city that want LRT/Streetcar on Broadway, and they are very vocal.

And they are right. If you are looking at it from an entirely local based service, then Streetcar is probably best for fostering locally focused communities with minimal influence/interaction from outside. In contrast, Broadway is a regional destination, and a regional body would be more interested in serving the good for everyone, which would probably be Skytrain, so that people can get from points outside the Corridor to points inside very quickly, or from one end to the other, fast.

If the original Skytrain wasn't built by the province, would it have ever happened? Would there have been a fast, mass transit line, that passes through very residential neighborhoods to bring people from Burnaby and New Westminster into the city? The train is fairly loud, I imagine there would have been huge pressure on city council to not build it.

Just look at the criticism of the Canada Line. People didn't want it built along the Arbutus corridor, and then on Cambie, they didn't want their lives impacted in anyway to benefit regional transit. We didn't listen to them, and put the greater good ahead of petty temporary inconvenience, and have an amazing, heavily used, transit system that serves the greater good of multiple cities.

But the current city council has put a ban on cut and cover construction, the interpretation of which can jeopardize construction of Skytrain on the Broadway corridor.

So, you might criticize and be skeptical of Valley residents' will for transit, I am the same of the will and intent of citizens of City of Vancouver, based on their track record. The only way it happens, is when a larger body, with regional interests, like the Province, forces it to happen.

If you came to Surrey and said, we're building Skytrain down King George to Newton, you would have everyone kissing the ground you walk on. Tell people in Vancouver you're building Skytrain down Broadway and you'll have protests.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:12 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
If you came to Surrey and said, we're building Skytrain down King George to Newton, you would have everyone kissing the ground you walk on. Tell people in Vancouver you're building Skytrain down Broadway and you'll have protests.
Very true! But a skytrain down broadway would have just as many protests in support of it as they would be against it. Students would be happy, drivers who use broadway would be happy, people who travel to the broadway corridor would be happy, not to mention people going downtown as there would now be 2 rapid transit routes downtown when coming from the east(ie. m-line to Canada Line). Sure the creme de la creme of Vancouver west would be against it even though they would never see it or hear it, it just seems they don't want us regular folk in their neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 8:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know if your generalizations are 100% accurate.

The people of Coquitlam are clamoring for Evergreen line, and while the people of Port Moody might not want to play the TOD ballgame, they do still want the line passing through their town. You have large, fairly organized groups in North Surrey dead set against gateway, although their rhetoric has died down since concrete plans were laid for Rapid Bus service. People everywhere in the lower mainland used to drive everywhere, but look at areas in Burnaby and New Westminster that have been changed by improved Transit. Look at the thousands that take Expo Line from Surrey every day.

Just because a majority of people in the Valley drive, doesn't mean the majority are against transit expansion. If you ask people around here what they think of Translink, they think it's a joke. Not because they are wasting their time bringing elitist transit to the unwashed masses of redneck hicks in the valley, but in fact the opposite: because it's not good enough.

As I said before, the local focused government knife cuts both ways.

While you might like the fact that Vancouver Council looks out for the interests of locals, that might be detrimental. There are groups all over the city that want LRT/Streetcar on Broadway, and they are very vocal.

And they are right. If you are looking at it from an entirely local based service, then Streetcar is probably best for fostering locally focused communities with minimal influence/interaction from outside. In contrast, Broadway is a regional destination, and a regional body would be more interested in serving the good for everyone, which would probably be Skytrain, so that people can get from points outside the Corridor to points inside very quickly, or from one end to the other, fast.

If the original Skytrain wasn't built by the province, would it have ever happened? Would there have been a fast, mass transit line, that passes through very residential neighborhoods to bring people from Burnaby and New Westminster into the city? The train is fairly loud, I imagine there would have been huge pressure on city council to not build it.

Just look at the criticism of the Canada Line. People didn't want it built along the Arbutus corridor, and then on Cambie, they didn't want their lives impacted in anyway to benefit regional transit. We didn't listen to them, and put the greater good ahead of petty temporary inconvenience, and have an amazing, heavily used, transit system that serves the greater good of multiple cities.

But the current city council has put a ban on cut and cover construction, the interpretation of which can jeopardize construction of Skytrain on the Broadway corridor.

So, you might criticize and be skeptical of Valley residents' will for transit, I am the same of the will and intent of citizens of City of Vancouver, based on their track record. The only way it happens, is when a larger body, with regional interests, like the Province, forces it to happen.

I do apologize I thought of talking about this part. But sometimes I feel my posts go on too long. I'd love to see transit expanded everywhere. As I feel it does improve the area it goes through. Hell if you want to tear up 41st or Knight street and build and LRT or if I could dream a Skytrain line please do. I'd be out there with my own shovel helping to dig the hole. I'd gladly deal with 2-3 years of disruption that it might cause.

What I'm against is expanding the roads in the CoV to get more capacity. I feel if they do that then more people will just decide to drive and less will take transit. One big reason is I view Vancouver because of its geographical location as a destination city. Sure depending on where people are coming from and going to. There is a small percentage that will be driving through the city to get to where they want to go. Although I'd hope they don't choose to drive through downtown to do so. But for most people who drive across the city boundaries. Most of them are probably heading to some place in the City. To me the distance that has to be travelled isn't worth expanding the roads.

You are probably right in that maybe more people would support transit over road expansion. But there is always that chance that a group might get the power to push through the expanding of road capacity in Vancouver. And that is the part that scares me. Get enough people like Zwei spreading rumours and enough people will start to believe that person and get what they want. Even if those rumours are founded or not.

I can't speak for the people along Broadway or Cambie. Other than they usually self centred businesses who can only think of their bottom line. Or rich folks who don't like people going past their home. You are always going to get those vocal groups.

As for how everyone in the Valley views Translink as a joke. Yes those comments are founded. But people from the valley have been making those comments when I was still a kid. And people will probably still be making those comments even in 30 years from now. My feeling is even if they did improve the service in the Valley. That if Vancouver has the better service. People in the valley will feel the service there is a joke. Even if it did improve. That isn't to say I wouldn't love to see the service improved out there. I guess a big question is what finally started to improve the transit service or ridership in the Vancouver. I'm sure there was a time when people living in South East Vancouver where complaining about the piss poor service decades ago.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
As for how everyone in the Valley views Translink as a joke. Yes those comments are founded. But people from the valley have been making those comments when I was still a kid. And people will probably still be making those comments even in 30 years from now. My feeling is even if they did improve the service in the Valley. That if Vancouver has the better service. People in the valley will feel the service there is a joke. Even if it did improve. That isn't to say I wouldn't love to see the service improved out there. I guess a big question is what finally started to improve the transit service or ridership in the Vancouver. I'm sure there was a time when people living in South East Vancouver where complaining about the piss poor service decades ago.
Translink doesn't service the Valley, specifically Abby/Chilliwack/Mission(apart from the WCE). Service ends in Maple Ridge/Aldergrove.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmigs View Post
Translink doesn't service the Valley, specifically Abby/Chilliwack/Mission(apart from the WCE). Service ends in Maple Ridge/Aldergrove.
Yes I am aware that Translink does not service Abby, Mission and Chilliwack.

When I was referring to the "Valley". I was talking about Delta, Surrey, Langely and Maple Ridge.

Maybe it is my fault for not specifically pointing out the different cities and in that case from now on I will list all 21 municipalities or the portion I'm talking about in Metro Vancouver in every post I make.

Of course I would hope that people who read my post realize when I'm talking about Translink and the "Valley." That I'm not referring to Abby, Mission or Chilliwack.

To me anything SoF is part of the Valley. Richmond I don't consider it to be part of the Valley even though I have to cross an arm of the Fraser to get to it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 8:21 PM
loafing in lotusland

The GVRD ends at Langley.

The FVRD goes from Aldergrove to Hope.

Usually round here we just refer to the outer suburbs across the Fraser as SOF (South of Fraser). No need to list all the municipalities or get all up in arms about it.

It's a bit muddled because there is the "South Coast Transportation something or other..." and includes the Fraser Valley as well.

I think almost everyone here wouldn't include Surrey/Delta/Richmond in the Valley, so you'll probably avoid confusion if you just use SOF. Easier to type too.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 9:39 PM

Valley to me is Abbotsford/Mission east to Hope.

SoF is Surrey/Langley

Lower Mainland is Valley & Metro Vancouver

Metro Vancouver is Metro Vancouver.

That's how I look at it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post

Usually round here we just refer to the outer suburbs across the Fraser as SOF (South of Fraser). No need to list all the municipalities or get all up in arms about it.

It's a bit muddled because there is the "South Coast Transportation something or other..." and includes the Fraser Valley as well.

I think almost everyone here wouldn't include Surrey/Delta/Richmond in the Valley, so you'll probably avoid confusion if you just use SOF. Easier to type too.
"South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority" is the legal name for Translink, they are one and the same.

To me it depends on context. Around here you have city folk, and valley folk. It's really more of a generalization of broad mindsets, than an factual representation of where someone is.

If you were speaking technically, then I would think Valley meant beyond GVRD, but when referring generally to people, like Valley folk, it's more of a generalization. And as far as generalizations go, it's hard to draw a line in the ground where people in the City end and people in the Valley begin, other than the river itself. While SoF is more accurate, it's a bit of a mouthful when talking, so I would say the common vernacular is Valley, even if it's technically inaccurate. And Valley would also include Pitt River and Maple Ridge (which are North of the River). It's the difference between Urban and Suburban. But instead of being out in the 'burbs, it's out in the Valley (as much of Vancouver outside the core town center's is basically 'burb like).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a wonderfully accurate line right there, I'll remember to quote it later on if needed. Kind of pathetic really but it's the truth I guess.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
Wow that's a wonderfully accurate line right there, I'll remember to quote it later on if needed. Kind of pathetic really but it's the truth I guess.
If Translink and the province would commit to a bored tunnel for Broadway, there wouldn't be much opposition. Its the prospect of cut and cover that scares the businesses.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:15 AM

Quote:
If Translink and the province would commit to a bored tunnel for Broadway, there wouldn't be much opposition. Its the prospect of cut and cover that scares the businesses.
Well, unfortunately there are also some businesses that believe it's necessary to have LRT/streetcar just so that commuters can look at their shops.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 8:10 AM

Quote:

Maybe it it my prehistoric age of 35 showing

Growing up as a kid there wasn't many people living SoF of the Fraser. So to me it always seemed like I was heading out to the Valley even if I was only going to Surrey for what ever reason.

Although I can see how people who live in Surrey today wouldn't think of themselves living in the Valley and more living in the City.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Well, unfortunately there are also some businesses that believe it's necessary to have LRT/streetcar just so that commuters can look at their shops.
Stop the train I just saw a shop I need to buy something from

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:28 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
"South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority" is the legal name for Translink, they are one and the same.

To me it depends on context. Around here you have city folk, and valley folk. It's really more of a generalization of broad mindsets, than an factual representation of where someone is.

If you were speaking technically, then I would think Valley meant beyond GVRD, but when referring generally to people, like Valley folk, it's more of a generalization. And as far as generalizations go, it's hard to draw a line in the ground where people in the City end and people in the Valley begin, other than the river itself. While SoF is more accurate, it's a bit of a mouthful when talking, so I would say the common vernacular is Valley, even if it's technically inaccurate. And Valley would also include Pitt River and Maple Ridge (which are North of the River). It's the difference between Urban and Suburban. But instead of being out in the 'burbs, it's out in the Valley (as much of Vancouver outside the core town center's is basically 'burb like).
But the landscape gets muddled quickly because everyone has a different ideas on these definitions.

Having lived in Hope, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Langley, Surrey, Burnaby and Vancouver I can tell you that the mindset you seem to be talking about changes somewhere between Fleetwood and Cloverdale.

There's not much difference in the mindset of people who live in Whalley than those in Metrotown...

South Surrey, Fleetwood, Tynehead has more in common with the Fraser Valley mentality.

It's kind of like saying the mindset of Vancouverites is "yuppie" professionals after seeing downtown... when the reality is that the city varies from Chinese families to Italians who talk about the home land to Hippie wannabees to uber-wealthy to Low-income families.

If anything, you may have a case for suburban mentality once you reach the first stretch of open land, around 160th or so.

I understand what you mean... but I'm just suggesting that you use more concrete terms...

Many people in the Valley think West Vancouver and North Vancouver are wards of Vancouver, like Kits or Shaughnessy.

I have noticed somewhat of a pattern, mind you. Where there's SkyTrain, a more urban mentality usually exists.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:09 PM

Quote:
But the landscape gets muddled quickly because everyone has a different ideas on these definitions.

Having lived in Hope, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Langley, Surrey, Burnaby and Vancouver I can tell you that the mindset you seem to be talking about changes somewhere between Fleetwood and Cloverdale.

There's not much difference in the mindset of people who live in Whalley than those in Metrotown...

South Surrey, Fleetwood, Tynehead has more in common with the Fraser Valley mentality.

It's kind of like saying the mindset of Vancouverites is "yuppie" professionals after seeing downtown... when the reality is that the city varies from Chinese families to Italians who talk about the home land to Hippie wannabees to uber-wealthy to Low-income families.

If anything, you may have a case for suburban mentality once you reach the first stretch of open land, around 160th or so.

I understand what you mean... but I'm just suggesting that you use more concrete terms...

Many people in the Valley think West Vancouver and North Vancouver are wards of Vancouver, like Kits or Shaughnessy.

I have noticed somewhat of a pattern, mind you. Where there's SkyTrain, a more urban mentality usually exists.
I know most of the people in my neighbourhood are either asian or caucasian. Most of them have lived here for a quite a few years. Most own their home. But I know there are some houses that are rented out. Usually they contain the 20-30 year olds living together.

I have heard some people confuse "West Vancouver" with "West side of Vancouver" Which are to completely different areas. What doesn't help in this case is both locations are richer than normal in the metro region.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:37 PM
Vancouver Moderator

In this case there is only one definition in real life:
The Lower Mainland is everything from Horseshoe Bay to Hope
The Greater Vancouver Regional District, now Metro Vancouver is the portion west of the Langley and Abbotsford border and the Maple Ridge and Mission border.
The Fraser Valley Regional District is everything east of that border until Hope.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe it it my prehistoric age of 35 showing

35 ...... oh to be 35 again ......... (off-topic, I know, but I HAD to say it .....)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics