HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Bronx Soccer Stadium Development

https://www.6sqft.com/700m-proposal-...e-south-bronx/

$700M proposal calls for NYC’s first soccer stadium and 550 affordable apartments in the South Bronx

APRIL 17, 2018
BY DEVIN GANNON

Quote:
New York City could be getting its first soccer stadium if a proposal for the project led by Related Companies gets chosen by officials. A partnership made up of developers Related and Somerset Partners, along with the Major League Soccer team, New York City Football Club, has submitted a plan to bring a 26,000-seat soccer stadium designed by Rafael Viñoly, over 550 units of affordable housing and a waterfront park to the South Bronx. According to YIMBY, the project, estimated to cost $700 million, would rise on the site of the Harlem River Yards, a 13-acre parcel in Mott Haven operated by the Empire State Development Corporation.

Quote:
Plans for the stadium also include more retail space and an 85,000-square-foot park. Other ideas include a “soccer university” to serve 1,000 students at the stadium, a new ferry terminal as part of NYC Ferry and an office space for NYCFC staff. The RFP calls it “a never been done before fully ‘integrated and transformative’ sport and community scheme.”

If chosen by the Empire State Development Corporation for their RFP, the partnership expects a completion date of 2022.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

^So much better than sticking it out in Belmont Park. This is going to look so awesome and will go miles to activating the neighborhood. Win-win.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 10:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I agree. The Bronx is coming back, and in a dramatic way. This is just the beginning for a borough I feel will skyrocket, right next to Queens.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 1:37 PM

Gotta be honest, while I like what the project brings, I really don't feel NYC needs a soccer stadium. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who give a **** about that sport.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by steyin View Post
Gotta be honest, while I like what the project brings, I really don't feel NYC needs a soccer stadium. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who give a **** about that sport.
A lot of Hispanic people like it. Big demographic in the Bronx and Harlem/Inwood/Washington heights. Plenty in Queens. The market for soccer is there.

And besides, soccer is better than baseball, which is boring.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

there is definately a fanbase, but its attendance has dropped off:

MSL New York City FC

maybe a new stadium will jump it up?

probably.

even if you don't care, building that area up and the housing and park will be great though.

i'll probably only go if and whenever they bring up my beloved boca juniors for a friendly.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
And besides, soccer is better than baseball, which is boring.
Baseball is more than a sport - it's a pastime. It's like comparing firefighting with a weenie roast.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
even if you don't care, building that area up and the housing and park will be great though.
No objections to that at all, just wondering if say the Giants/Jets got a stadium in the city instead of a soccer team since I know people have wanted that for quite some time.

In any case, I wouldn't go to either venue but am all for building up the area and improving it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:52 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

With that kind of seating capacity, I have to wonder whether or not it'd make sense for the Columbia Lions to be a co-tenant there, which would also help free up some precious space up by their athletic fields.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:12 PM

The NYCFC fans DESERVE a 40,000 soccer stadium!!! Go NYCFC and our great captain David Villa.
https://www.facebook.com/Forza-NYCFC...6557112076346/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development