HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:37 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found5dollar View Post
Ok. this is kinda crazy.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12302/1272611-114.stm

They are burying new pneumatic tubes that will run roughly two blocks in either direction. According to the article:

"The project marks a first for the region by running the tubes farther than just the building next door. Instead, to connect Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC to the new lab in the former Rangos Research Center building at the intersection of McKee Place and Fifth Avenue, the underground tubes will stretch two blocks, or about 300 yards, from the hospital."

pretty crazy.

Here's a map.

I love sending my assorted fluids at high speed all through Oakland. The bums have been doing this for years.

Last edited by Austinlee; Oct 30, 2012 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 2:38 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

So i'm looking at the before pics of the NABISCO building and I am suprised to see that this NABISCO building is one of 5 across the country that look nearly identical and have all been rehabbed similarly. "The quality of construction and the location of these properties make them ideal focal-points for urban revitalization."

The locations are - Pittsburgh, Houston, TX, Kansas City, New York City - Chelsea, and Los Angeles.

Check this out, it's uncanny: http://blogs.uhaul.com/detroit/tag/o...sco-buildings/

And our NABISCO rehab isn't even the only one with GOOGLE in it! The Chelsea NYC has Google offices as well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:07 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Other construction updates.

Completed Duquense dorm in uptown pics from Evergrey's construction thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
some photos of the completed tower...

http://applications.duq.edu/bluff-stuff/tag/des-places/

Mark A. Nordenberg Hall - U/C $59 million 10 stories, 559 beds a wellness center and retail on 1st floor.
Due for completion in 2013

Nordenberg recently received the naming award after helping to pass the universities $2 billion dollar fund raising goal.

It's pretty much topped off. The Pitt construction cam is down right now. Possibly weather related?

And here is an update on the five-story, 57,000-square-foot addition to Parran and Crabtree Halls, at $41.3 million, will be used accommodate the relocation and expansion of the Graduate School of Public Health. The university hopes to achieve LEED certification for this project.

Day-N-night

These are two of U. of Pitt's 16 approved construction and renovation projects totaling $152 million, and nine lease renewals. The university expects that these projects will create 737 construction and 295 construction-support jobs.

Last edited by Austinlee; Oct 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:36 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Who wants to wish they lived downtown? Here is a top-notch 27 minute video of why you should do it.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:

This reminds me...my uncle, who works for BNY Mellon, was recently telling me about a system of hallway tunnels they have downtown connecting the client services center to

BNY Mellon Center to their offices in 525 William Penn Place.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 5:26 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
aren't they building a new Hotel Indigo somewhere in east liberty near the target?
Sadly I think that plan fell through. I guess they couldn't secure financing for it.

In any event, regarding Bunchar, his plan would counter the vision that the city has for that particular neighborhood and all the way up to Highland Park. I hope they deny this latest proposal...

I was on board with his latest update to his Strip revitalization plan, but not this one... Sorry Bunchar, try again...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:45 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Sadly I think that plan fell through. I guess they couldn't secure financing for it.
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

http://epicdevelopmentspgh.blogspot....6/project.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
This reminds me...my uncle, who works for BNY Mellon, was recently telling me about a system of hallway tunnels they have downtown connecting the client services center to

BNY Mellon Center to their offices in 525 William Penn Place.
The tunnel starts at Three Mellon and goes under Cherry Way -- when Mellon occupied the Union Trust Building (Two Mellon) you could access 2MBC from the tunnel (I'm not sure what they did now that Mellon is out of the UTB to prevent access --- it's been a while since I have been in 'dem tunnelz). It then goes under Grant to One Mellon Center. When the MCSC (Mellon Client Service Center) was built, the "tunnel" carries on once you go through the parking garage at OMBC -- it then goes under Ross and takes you into the CSC.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 7:43 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7068073429 View Post
The tunnel starts at Three Mellon and goes under Cherry Way -- when Mellon occupied the Union Trust Building (Two Mellon) you could access 2MBC from the tunnel (I'm not sure what they did now that Mellon is out of the UTB to prevent access --- it's been a while since I have been in 'dem tunnelz). It then goes under Grant to One Mellon Center. When the MCSC (Mellon Client Service Center) was built, the "tunnel" carries on once you go through the parking garage at OMBC -- it then goes under Ross and takes you into the CSC.
When I was an operations manager at 3 Mellon Bank Center / 525 Wm Penn Place, we used those tunnels for document storage. The white metal arch shaped tunnel reminded me of a submarine. I not sure if the tunnel was expanded to the Client Service center though. Once we moved to the new building, we had in house storage for document retention.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 11:47 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Wow, so it recently has come back from the dead (heh, a little Halloween funny :-)). Good to see it has return and that construction looks to be very much underway. I can't wait for this to be built. I was excited about it since I first heard about it in '07

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 12:58 AM

Ironically the period of financial difficulty appears to have helped the Indigo project evolve in a better direction, specifically insofar as it is now making more use of the existing buildings within the complex.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Ironically the period of financial difficulty appears to have helped the Indigo project evolve in a better direction, specifically insofar as it is now making more use of the existing buildings within the complex.
Did you notice the historic red brick building? It was fully exposed once they demolished the former Jafusicks hair salon and Kotouno lounge buildings. It appears that Broad street was realigned during the 1960's urban redevelopment. The original street must have ran directly through where the demolished buildings stood....

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:27 PM
Eurosceptic

any updates on Lot 24?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:21 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Who wants to wish they lived downtown? Here is a top-notch 27 minute video of why you should do it.

Video Link
Thanks very much for posting that video Austinlee

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:23 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Pitt is such a great school and is truly urban and has so much character and history.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:07 PM

What is the vacancy rate for Class A office space right now? I read an article that dated back to may that said Class B office space had a 27% vacancy rate or something like that

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:09 PM

I particularly like the building on the corner of Kirkwood and Whitfield--it will be cool to see it renovated:

http://goo.gl/maps/QFKXo

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
What is the vacancy rate for Class A office space right now? I read an article that dated back to may that said Class B office space had a 27% vacancy rate or something like that
Depends a bit on the report and which submarket, but here are some links:

http://www.newmarkkf.com/home/about-...es.aspx?d=5183

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs2q12/PD...burgh_2q12.pdf

http://www.colliers.com/~/media/File...ficeReport.pdf

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 10:39 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I particularly like the building on the corner of Kirkwood and Whitfield--it will be cool to see it renovated:

http://goo.gl/maps/QFKXo
Fer reals man that's a gem! Great shape, corner location, nice accents. That would be a beauty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations