HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
May not be a sexy super tall sky scrapper, but think the Newport project is the one I am most excited about and think will have to. Biggest positive impact.
I'm having a terrible time identifying which properties Newport acquired. Does anyone have a map surrounding the exact properties?

Old Posted Today, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I'm having a terrible time identifying which properties Newport acquired. Does anyone have a map surrounding the exact properties?
Here is a post I made earlier in the year with a map of the parcels I suspected Newport was acquiring.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ta#post7715575

Last edited by jwbab; Today at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Today, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Here is a post I made earlier in the year with a map of the parcels I suspected Newport was acquiring. (Street Advocate note: Purple = WRS. Orange = Newport (speculation)

Awesome, thank you so much! Really hoping we see more of the parking ots gobbled up and developed. Would love to see expansion similar to what exists on Broad Street.

Old Posted Today, 3:42 PM

Here is an updated map w/rough outlines of reference.

Purple: The Gulch
Blue: Newport
Yellow: Underground

Old Posted Today, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
May not be a sexy super tall sky scrapper, but think the Newport project is the one I am most excited about and think will have to. Biggest positive impact.
I agree and for that reason, this is more sexy than a new skyscraper IMO. This is the sort of human scale development that downtown and the entire city needs as the street level of the new high rises are almost always disappointing. This could be a game changer for downtown.

Old Posted Today, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I agree and for that reason, this is more sexy than a new skyscraper IMO. This is the sort of human scale development that downtown and the entire city needs as the street level of the new high rises are almost always disappointing. This could be a game changer for downtown.
Couldn't agree more--

Old Posted Today, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I concur. I may be off base with this claim, although I believe Downtown already has the densest and most extensive concentration of street level retail in Atlanta. With a growing community to support the businesses and preservation of areas like Broad Street, I don't imagine it's much longer until Downton becomes known more widely as a thriving residential district. Really wish there was a larger park closer to this area. COP I don't enjoy that much, as it's way too manufactured and has limited open space.

Old Posted Today, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
German firm Newport has big plans to revitalize downtown Atlanta

Link: http://www.myajc.com/news/local/germ...QJWlRRElR239L/

The article goes into even greater detail about Newport's mixed-use development plans in the area between the Gulch and Underground. They plan to restore, not tear down, the buildings they are purchasing. They have also scooped up many of the vacant parking lots in the area for new development to increase the urban density of the area. Notably, they have no plans to add any new parking but will piggy back on the existing mass transit infrastructure. They say this will significantly reduce the development cost. They also intend to work closely with the community in developing a master plan and intend to include affordable housing.

Along with redevelopment of Underground and the Gulch, there could be $1.5 to $2 billion in investment in this area. It's hard not to be excited about all this.
Some of the best news this year!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations