HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:11 PM

IDS Plans $115M Office Tower
By Bob Howard

Image Source: http://www.globest.com/

CULVER CITY, CA-IDS Real Estate Group plans a $115 million office tower on a 3.3-acre site that the Los Angeles-based developer has acquired at the Corporate Pointe office campus. The project will be a 12-story, 277,607-sf tower that will be designed to meet what IDS calls "a burgeoning demand from companies desiring an affordable Westside Los Angeles presence."

Called “Corporate Pointe Tower,” the new project will be built at 700 Corporate Pointe within the 1.6-million-sf, eight building Corporate Pointe campus, which is located just off the 405 Freeway. According to David Saeta, senior vice president of IDS, the company acquired the property at the end of 2007 and has secured all entitlements and approvals for the class A tower, which will be designed to LEED Silver standards by Gene Watanabe of Gensler. No date has been set for construction of the project.

Saeta cites the Lower Westside submarket as "one of the most dynamic real estate submarkets in Southern California with over $2 billion in capital committed to projects within one mile of Corporate Pointe." Among them is Westfield’s one-millionsf Culver City Plaza shopping center, which is currently undergoing a $188 million expansion and renovation including 332,600 sf of new restaurants and shops.

According to Steve Walbridge of Cushman & Wakefield, who represented IDS in the land purchase along with Eric Olofson, the Culver City submarket has emerged as a strategic and affordable Westside option. He points out that rents in the submarket typically average several dollars per sf per month less than rents at similar projects farther north.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:37 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Hollywood: 7900 W. Sunset Blvd.

Not sure of the name of the project but someone wanted an update of this project too so here it is:

Now everybody can see our gas prices too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:26 AM
SC made me a hippie

L.A. Times today

L.A. City Council rejects massive Las Lomas development
In a split vote, the panel halts its review of the 5,553-home project near the 5 and 14 freeways. Some council members fear a lawsuit.
By David Zahniser, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
1:11 PM PDT, March 20, 2008
A divided Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to halt its review of the 5,553-home Las Lomas project, dealing what could well be a fatal blow to the mega-development planned for north Los Angeles County.

"This project would have put 15,000 cars a day in an already heavily impacted area," said City Councilman Greig Smith, who represents the northwest San Fernando Valley. "The people of L.A. said we can't take that anymore. We're tired of it."

FOR THE RECORD:
Las Lomas project: An article in Thursday's Section A about the Las Lomas housing development identified Santa Clarita resident Diane Trautman as a city councilwoman. She is a candidate for City Council.
The 10-5 vote, which instructed the Planning Department to stop processing the application, represented a huge victory for Smith, who had argued that the council had no need to review a project that would flood the region with traffic and yet is outside city limits.

The decision also reflected the heightened anxiety over growth and traffic felt by some of the city's elected officials, who almost never issue an outright rejection of a development proposal.

For weeks, Las Lomas Land Co. had been waging an uphill battle to keep the project viable, arguing that Los Angeles should process an environmental impact report and then annex the firm's land from unincorporated Los Angeles County. The company said it had spent $20 million since 2002 trying to get its project approved.

I cut the article short...you get the point... WOW LA... I guess they are beginning to finally see the big picture on suburbs...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:35 AM
Environmental Sabotage

That's great news!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:38 AM
Pacific Wonderland

If only we could stop Santa Clarita from buildings its project three times as large as Los Lomas planned for behind Magic Mountain.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:46 AM
Environmental Sabotage

What project is that and why would anybody think that they could possibly sell those homes in this current market.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:47 AM
California goth

^don't forget centennial, landmark, vista canyon, skyline ranch, anaverde and ritter ranch. so many projects underway threaten to destroy the last truly rural areas remaining in LA county and promise to clog the 5 and 14 freeways

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 4:26 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Like the Irvine Co. developers are in it for the long term, so a 2-3 year recession is nothing. I am not sure whether the 50K resident thing is part of Newhall Ranch or not, but basically Ventura Co. is throwing a shit storm because everything behind Magic Mtn all the way to the Ventura Co. line is to be in this project. But 50K homes out there will suck hard if they do build it out that large.

Even more worrisome is what Tejon Ranch has in store for the Antelope Valley/Gorman. The 5 is already thick over the grapevine. The Tejon Ranch project will ground that to a halt. That is a key commercial lifeline to the LA metro. Clogging that will suck bigtime. Hell, there are already commuters from Bakersfield to the Valley already.

But the thing behind Magic Mtn. is well covered in the Ventura Press, I just don't have the proposal or a link in front of me. This has been going on for a while now, though.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
That's great news!
Unfortunately nearby projects like the Centennial Project which will contain 20,000 houses are going as planned.....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
^don't forget centennial, landmark, vista canyon, skyline ranch, anaverde and ritter ranch. so many projects underway threaten to destroy the last truly rural areas remaining in LA county and promise to clog the 5 and 14 freeways
Right, and I remember a recent quote in the article in the Latimes that had mentioned it. The guy said something like this, "if this project goes as planned, nothing will stop Los Angeles from becoming a vast, broken metropolis from Bakersfield to Tijuana."

............that should pretty much set the alarm off for nearby residents that more traffic and less open space is on the way.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 2:32 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Damn, I'm all depressed now... ignorance to these sprawling projects is bliss.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 2:06 AM

Like i've said before, unless something like the High-Speed Rail project is built, Suburban projects such as the ones mentioned, and to a certain degree, Suburbia ITSELF, will die and fade away.

What also encourages the urban movement is focusing on rail construction, something that Orange County has been lacking, except for the Metrolink.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Like i've said before, unless something like the High-Speed Rail project is built, Suburban projects such as the ones mentioned, and to a certain degree, Suburbia ITSELF, will die and fade away.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 4:29 PM

I think he means, If rail is built, suburbia will die away.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
I think he means, If rail is built, suburbia will die away.
No, that rail would greatly encourage suburb growth, especially in the Central Valley.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 9:42 PM
I enjoy discussing issues

Maybe if LA encouraged infill housing there would be less demand to build in those outlying areas.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:

What also encourages the urban movement is focusing on rail construction, something that Orange County has been lacking, except for the Metrolink.
why are you so convinced that suburbia will die when it has been going on strong and continues to do so? even though those large developments in santa clarita are being blocked, the fact that developers wish to build them proves that there is a huge demand for that type of housing.

with plenty of abundant cheap land available in this nation, no need to work in financial centers, and millions of americans wanting to buy land, i don't see why suburbia has any reason to die.

not everyone commutes to a shiny building in dtla.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post

not everyone commutes to a shiny building in dtla.
No, but they should!

And not everyone wants to spend $60-and-up to fill their gas tanks.

While I like the idea of having a 200+MPH mode of transportation from L.A. to SanFran, we also have to keep in mind that there will also be stops in the San Joaquin Valley, such as Fresno, Bakersfield, etc. Because of that, I can assure you that that will spark development on a whole new level.

See, think about it, if people out there will be willing to make a 3 hour commute from one end of "SanSan Megalopolis" to the other; then its common sense that people halfway or less that distance will not mind making a 1 1/2 hour commute to any of the Major cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Anaheim, etc.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Mar 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:37 AM

Quote:
No, but they should!

And not everyone wants to spend $60-and-up to fill their gas tanks.

While I like the idea of having a 200+MPH mode of transportation from L.A. to SanFran, we also have to keep in mind that there will also be stops in the San Joaquin Valley, such as Fresno, Bakersfield, etc. Because of that, I can assure you that that will spark development on a whole new level.

See, think about it, if people out there will be willing to make a 3 hour commute from one end of "SanSan Megalopolis" to the other; then its common sense that people halfway or less that distance will not mind making a 1 1/2 hour commute to any of the Major cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Anaheim, etc.
you still haven't addressed why you think that suburbia will die and fade away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations