HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
What did he/she say about the ocean of buses clogging downtown?
He was against it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:19 PM

We keep hearing that Rideau Station has the most work left, and the underground part of the project can't be viewed by the public, so the pictures and reports are really the only thing we have to go on.

At the surface stations though, we can see it for ourselves through the fences. I live near Tunney's station and bus through there every day and it looks to me like all they really have to do is clean up the worksite.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
That structure is for holding the strip lighting that illuminates the edge of the platform. I wonder if there are also sensors that detect people when they're over the safe line, a bit like this: https://youtu.be/8qC-cupjexA
I know there is some sort of track intrusion detection system but no idea how it works or where it covers.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 12:44 PM

The Scotiabank is now scheduled to move into the Rideau Station location on January 21st.

Also, as of today the pedestrian path on the north side of Rideau past the station has been moved from the road back onto the sidewalk.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 1:53 PM

I was wrong about the Queen Street shelters, looks like they're the same standard shelter Uhuniau loves so dearly

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I was wrong about the Queen Street shelters, looks like they're the same standard shelter Uhuniau loves so dearly
Which model do you consider to be "standard"?

The new ones on Queen are the clear-roofed greenhouse variety.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Which model do you consider to be "standard"?

The new ones on Queen are the clear-roofed greenhouse variety.
That seems to be the only model OCTranspo installs within the past couple of years ignoring the ones at Hurdman, Blair and Tunney's. It seems to be the signature shelter design for oc Transpo.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 11:21 PM

Pimisi. Now that LeBreton is pretty much dead, it depresses me everytime I see the station.

https://twitter.com/Pika3323/status/1072494784466563072

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Pimisi. Now that LeBreton is pretty much dead, it depresses me everytime I see the station.

https://twitter.com/Pika3323/status/1072494784466563072
Isn't security supposed to be low-visibility? I lol every time I see these giant hanging poles for the plethora of security cameras. I also imagine a large cat batting at them. Classic architect vs. security consultant.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:36 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Isn't security supposed to be low-visibility? I lol every time I see these giant hanging poles for the plethora of security cameras. I also imagine a large cat batting at them. Classic architect vs. security consultant.
Would have been a great place for public art/sculptures with cameras hidden within. Kinda like those portraits with moving eyes

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Would have been a great place for public art/sculptures with cameras hidden within. Kinda like those portraits with moving eyes

Like, are the cameras so low-resolution that they have to be 3 feet from your face to get an image? How about embedding them in the soffits instead of hanging them from 30 foot poles?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Like, are the cameras so low-resolution that they have to be 3 feet from your face to get an image? How about embedding them in the soffits instead of hanging them from 30 foot poles?
If you look at the lower roof on the right, it does appear to have two cameras on it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:17 PM
Busy Beaver

I guess most of the stations will have these Security Piñatas

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:24 PM
Busy Beaver

How come Rideau gets a giant sign? If that's the final finish on the wall and ceiling, I must say I'm rather disappointed. Reminds me of water damaged delaminating furniture.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:35 AM

The giant sign was in the rendering, though it looks like they simplified the roof in the real thing

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:55 AM

Looking at Rideau Station, one aspect at a time. The wood ceiling is quite different.From the curvy design with the triangular pattern to straight lines and what I'm pretty sure is NOT wood. Similar changes to Lyon Station's concourse.

They changed the writing and font of the "RIDEAU" sign. Never liked that sign to begin with because no other stations have this (unless I'm mistaken). It breaks the system's consistency.

Finnish on the wall looks weird and cheap. As mentioned, looks like water damaged melamine or a white tarp with consistent folds. I'll make a final judgement when I see it.

Without the rendering to compare it too, I'd probably think it looks pretty decent. With the rendering, it looks like they value-engineered the design.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:16 AM

I think they just painted the concrete.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:30 AM

Good Day.

Definitely cheaped out.

Looks like lightweight panels grid-mounted, standscrews a few inches off the concrete walls, and wire straps hung from the ceiling.
That would allow for leaks, concrete tunnel lining discontinuities not smoothed off, and electrical, HVAC, and fluids plumbing.
Also (but no, it couldn't be !?!) LOOKS like fabric panels for VERY light weight. Maintenance on that would be a bear, so, no couldn't be.

We shall HAVE to wait and see. Ouch!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

Definitely cheaped out.

Looks like lightweight panels grid-mounted, standscrews a few inches off the concrete walls, and wire straps hung from the ceiling.
That would allow for leaks, concrete tunnel lining discontinuities not smoothed off, and electrical, HVAC, and fluids plumbing.
Also (but no, it couldn't be !?!) LOOKS like fabric panels for VERY light weight. Maintenance on that would be a bear, so, no couldn't be.

We shall HAVE to wait and see. Ouch!
I wonder if the simplified ceilings at Lyon and Rideau have to do with time rather than cost, since they are so far behind maybe it was done to speed things up.

As for the quality of the finishing, it's obviously a work in progress so I'll reserve judgement for now until we see the final product

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
As for the quality of the finishing, it's obviously a work in progress so I'll reserve judgement for now until we see the final product
My favourite post of recent days! Indeed final product seen first hand will tell the true tale!

So much negativity and soooooo much speculation based on sight unseen and a relatively poor photograph (poorly lit, soft focus, etc).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation