HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:28 AM
Los Angeles Aficionado

I am very skeptical of the Wilshire/Vermont project being listed as under construction. There has been no legitimate sources for its groundbreaking. A huge project like this would have numerous articles for the start of construction.

Anyways, does anyone know the height of the 30 floor tower? It seems like it rises above all the other buildings in that area which is pretty impressive.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
I am very skeptical of the Wilshire/Vermont project being listed as under construction. There has been no legitimate sources for its groundbreaking. A huge project like this would have numerous articles for the start of construction.

Anyways, does anyone know the height of the 30 floor tower? It seems like it rises above all the other buildings in that area which is pretty impressive.
Went by there this weekend and saw a large crane/construction equipment in there, so it is actually prepping for ground breaking!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:54 AM

BLVD 6200 on the other hand remains a pay by the hour parking lot. Drove by today, no signs of imminent construction there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 2:28 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
BLVD 6200 on the other hand remains a pay by the hour parking lot. Drove by today, no signs of imminent construction there.
I'm not terribly worried about this project. I know it will start eventually.

And Steve2726, is there some special significance to the building in your avatar? I ask this because I live right near it, and drive by it almost every day.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:25 PM

This might be old news, but I walked by the Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood yesterday. It was fenced off and there were about a dozen men in hardhats hollowing out the building.

image from :http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-10...ti_factory.jpg

Last edited by San Frangelino; Feb 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
And Steve2726, is there some special significance to the building in your avatar? I ask this because I live right near it, and drive by it almost every day.
I lived there for 10 years, moved out just last week in fact. It's a great building and will miss it, having a bit of sellers remorse. (the 2726 in my login name is the street address ;-)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
This might be old news, but I walked by the Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood yesterday. It was fenced off and there were about a dozen men in hardhats hollowing out the building.

image from :http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-10...ti_factory.jpg
this would be huge news. that eyesore has been dragging down that area for years.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
this would be huge news. that eyesore has been dragging down that area for years.
Agree completely. Hollywood is still grim in that direction and anything spreading activity and density would be welcome.

Is the latest plan still for 20 stories plus?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 2:55 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
And this is why:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._a_mystery.php

They demolished it. Apparently, groundbreaking for the tower will be this Monday (EDIT: rumored to be this Monday).

It's starting to get a little busy here in L.A..... This makes this the fourth high rise to break ground this year (Emmerson and the two Wilshire/Vermont towers). How many towers need to break ground before one could consider this a boom?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:41 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Man this is going to be a big year in my Hollywood hood. I will have to take many picture updates. Very exciting.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:04 AM

Quote:
And this is why:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._a_mystery.php

They demolished it. Apparently, groundbreaking for the tower will be this Monday (EDIT: rumored to be this Monday).

It's starting to get a little busy here in L.A..... This makes this the fourth high rise to break ground this year (Emmerson and the two Wilshire/Vermont towers). How many towers need to break ground before one could consider this a boom?
The new Marriot and Wilshire Grand should finish the job calling it a boom. We cannot forget the smaller projects such as the Broad, the nearby 22 and 19 story towers next to the broad that have been proposed and of course the new courthouse.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:09 PM
BANNED

And, down at ground level, a new alley is opening East of Cahuenga. The development of this kind of nice urban space makes it easy for the people from the new office and residential towers (if and when done) to hang out and, of course, for tourists.

It's getting to where I can almost expect retail to fill in on and around the Boulevard.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
And, down at ground level, a new alley is opening East of Cahuenga. The development of this kind of nice urban space makes it easy for the people from the new office and residential towers (if and when done) to hang out and, of course, for tourists.

It's getting to where I can almost expect retail to fill in on and around the Boulevard.
hopefully. im still perplexed why there hasnt been more new development between vine and highland on Hollywood BLVD. its the ideal location for a few boutique hotels.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:49 PM
Ascension

I don't know if any of you saw this but it's pretty cool.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Man this is going to be a big year in my Hollywood hood. I will have to take many picture updates. Very exciting.
We have the Emerson under construction, the Old Spaghetti Factory plot almost under construction, blvd 6200 which sources said would start in January of this year but no word of it since (I'm assuming very soon), the selma/vine office project which I presume is soon as well as the selma/cahuenga hotel. If all these projects do go through in the coming months I'd say Hollywood is at a boom.

Have I missed any other approved projects?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:16 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
We have the Emerson under construction, the Old Spaghetti Factory plot almost under construction, blvd 6200 which sources said would start in January of this year but no word of it since (I'm assuming very soon), the selma/vine office project which I presume is soon as well as the selma/cahuenga hotel. If all these projects do go through in the coming months I'd say Hollywood is at a boom.

Have I missed any other approved projects?
There are a couple 15-25 story apartment buildings that, I suppose, could go under construction this year. It's starting to look like apartment buildings of that height are financially viable.

EDIT: Also, here are some buildings under construction in downtown Santa Monica.

I really think DT Santa Monica is a great model for the rest of L.A. Country. Dense, urban, but still low-risy enough for NIMBYS not to spew there shit everywhere. If a quarter of L.A. country looked like DT Santa Monica does, then it would be in great shape.

Last edited by Illithid Dude; Feb 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There are a couple 15-25 story apartment buildings that, I suppose, could go under construction this year. It's starting to look like apartment buildings of that height are financially viable.

I really think DT Santa Monica is a great model for the rest of L.A. Country. Dense, urban, but still low-risy enough for NIMBYS not to spew there shit everywhere. If a quarter of L.A. country looked like DT Santa Monica does, then it would be in great shape.
My thoughts exactly. In most areas 5-7 is either acceptable to the locals or they will not oppose it strongly. And it is much more conducive to looking and feeling like a real city than scattered high-rises among vacant lots and sfh's.

But I think SM is a bit too restrictive on height.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I don't know if any of you saw this but it's pretty cool.

Video Link
Very cool. Hopefully much more to come.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:49 PM

pesto:
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. In most areas 5-7 is either acceptable to the locals or they will not oppose it strongly. And it is much more conducive to looking and feeling like a real city than scattered high-rises among vacant lots and sfh's.
Our smart growth advocacy group here in DC, Ward 3 Vision, had a smart-growth panel discussion earlier this week with Chris Leinberger (Brookings/University of Michigan), Roger Lewis (architect professor at the U. of Maryland) and Harriet Tregoning, the head of DC's Office of Planning.

Roger Lewis said that the most important part of buildings are the bottom 30 feet of them. He said whether they have cupolas or spires is not at all important. What is important is the street-level detail (amount of windows and doors, width of the sidewalks, number of curb cuts).

This has been discussed frequently here before but DC doesn't have a bulding taller than 12-13 stories. Most buildings in Madrid or Paris are less than 7 stories. If there are more buildings like the ones in Santa Monica posted above and these regions were connected by good rail transit, Southern California would be doing fine.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:54 PM

pesto:
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. In most areas 5-7 is either acceptable to the locals or they will not oppose it strongly.
Here in DC, over-entitled NIMBYs with too much time and money will still fight 5 story buildings as too dense, even if there are existing 9-10 story buildings on the same street. You're being too charitable to the NIMBYs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations