HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:08 AM

Does anyone know if there are going to be anymore external lighting features on 1144? I like the side track lighting but I wish there would be something on the top to showcase the height of the building.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:37 AM

I know there’s a sign on the property saying “coming soon” but does anyone know when construction is suppose to start on block 162?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:11 AM

I have a happy face

Photo and article by Thomas Gounley/BusinessDen

https://businessden.com/2018/01/02/c...el-fetches-2m/
Quote:
No more bunk beds and dormitories at a century-old Uptown building. Denver-based GM Development purchased 630-638 E. 16th Ave. in Denver for $2.1 million, according to property records.

Marketing director Shelly Danowsky said GM has restored historic buildings in the Midwest — including the recent conversion of a Missouri elementary school into loft apartments — and wanted a similar project in Denver. “What we’d like to do is … bring it as close as we can to how it was when it was built,” Danowsky said.
Any time a 1908 building can be saved, renovated and repurposed it's been a good day.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have a happy face

Any time a 1908 building can be saved, renovated and repurposed it's been a good day.
That is fantastic news! Although they might want to start with a good old fashioned down home fumigation

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
I have a happy face

Good news indeed. I've driven/walked/biked by that building for many years and thought how sad it was that it was in such disrepair and wondered about its future. The 17th Avenue & Park Avenue area is such a treasure in my view, and the restoration of this property will add to that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Good news indeed. I've driven/walked/biked by that building for many years and thought how sad it was that it was in such disrepair and wondered about its future. The 17th Avenue & Park Avenue area is such a treasure in my view, and the restoration of this property will add to that.
A lot happening in this area. Now that the GO bond passed the entire city block (or nearly all of it) across the street from that hostel (currently DPD Station 6) looks like it will be redeveloped into a mixed use project. Most of the block is zoned for 8 stories, so there is a huge opportunity for something pretty transformational to go in. And the 17th and Pearl project caddy corner from the hostel broke ground last month.

I also heard over the weekend that the city appears to be quite keen on the Dikeou/Tryna Sherman street North proposal as long as the Dikeou's make the streetscape improvements promised. The proposal really reflects the existing vision for Sherman to be transformed into a 'Capitol Mall' in the Capitol Complex Masterplan, and the city is eager to see development around Civic Center Station.
My understanding is the Diekous would start shopping the properties immediately once zoning is changed and would not be part of the development team (probably also a positive for the city).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
I also heard over the weekend that the city appears to be quite keen on the Dikeou/Tryna Sherman street North proposal as long as the Dikeou's make the streetscape improvements promised. The proposal really reflects the existing vision for Sherman to be transformed into a 'Capitol Mall' in the Capitol Complex Masterplan, and the city is eager to see development around Civic Center Station.
My understanding is the Diekous would start shopping the properties immediately once zoning is changed and would not be part of the development team (probably also a positive for the city).
This is great news indeed-my past experience as a once long-time Denver area resident (I'm a native too btw) is the Diekous seem to like sitting on certain properties for generations even missing possible multiple opportunities to redevelop their properties. A good friend of mine managed a surface parking lot for the Diekous that finally got redeveloped into a residential high rise in the Golden Triangle about 3 yrs ago.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:26 AM

So I watched John Hickenlooper's interview with CNBC today (https://www.geekwire.com/2018/colora...ns-incentives/) on his pitch for HQ2. The thing I keep seeing across some stories is how CO isn't offering much in the way of financial incentives. However, I find this narrative odd considering specifics of exactly what was offered have been kept under a tight lid..... along with the proposed locations. If I am wrong on that, please correct me. Now, I fully assume that we aren't offering Amazon billions upon billions (looking at you Chicago/NJ). But.... I feel like making a statement that we went light on the incentives is a bit misguided without knowing specifics. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:40 PM

Surprise... Unintended Consequences

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
So I watched John Hickenlooper's interview with CNBC today (https://www.geekwire.com/2018/colora...ns-incentives/) on his pitch for HQ2.
I heard CNBC gave Denver an 'F' for location? There's your eliminator.
It will be interesting to see, assuming they name a group of finalists, which cities and where they are located.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:46 PM

Today I has a giggly face

Image credit: Meow Wolf via TripAdvisor

Meow Wolf Will Create a New World in Arty Heart of Denver
JANUARY 4, 2018 By PATRICIA CALHOUN - Westword
Quote:
Meow Wolf is about to make a purrfect landing in Denver. In one of the worst-kept secrets in town, at 10 a.m. today, January 4, the ten-year-old Santa Fe arts collective and its new partners will announce where they'll build Meow Wolf's first permanent exhibition in a major market.
Say What?
Quote:
And it's a major project, too: a $50 million, seven-story, 90,000 square-foot building that will hold 60,000 square feet of exhibitions, three times the size of Meow Wolf's House of Eternal Return in Santa Fe, along with a restaurant, bar and retail and support spaces.
Where, where will it go?
Quote:
A spot right in the gritty heart of Denver, a triangular space created by the Auraria Parkway and the viaducts of Colfax Avenue and Interstate 25, just across the river from Sports Authority Field and close to the Pepsi Center and Elitch Gardens
Who's the developer?
Quote:
Meow Wolf's Denver development partner is Revesco Properties, a real estate and management company that's an owner and managing partner in Elitch Gardens.
Meow Wolf website

Preliminary rendering:

Rendering from Meow Wolf via Westword

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:59 PM

The Clayton Lane redevelopment has to be one of the biggest upcoming projects in Denver for 2018. While Cherry Creek North has seen a lot of redevelopment this will be the largest and most high profile project because of its location. Has anyone seen any new renderings, especially of what the new Whole Foods will look like up against University?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:17 PM

JFC. With all the empty lots in Arapahoe Square, with all the redevelopment or empty lot opportunities along Broadway (I'm looking at YOU, Mr. 2/3-of-a-square-block Sports Castle, and YOU, Little Miss 2/3-of-a-square-block parking lot hiding behind the Mayan Theater), with those and other juicy sites in central Denver where they could have added to and fed off of the vibrant street life, Meow Wolf chose an isolated, ugly chunk of solidified car exhaust for their home. Elsewhere on-line they stated that they chose the site because of its "...low impact urban infill" nature. Low impact indeed. Just goes to show, imagination is nothing without vision.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Today I has a giggly face

Where, where will it go?

Who's the developer?

Meow Wolf website

Preliminary rendering:

Rendering from Meow Wolf via Westword

Interesting news! I just happened to visit MeowWolf last week for the first time. Pretty trippy place. These guys really think outside of the box, pun intended. And for them to choose the dead space under the viaduct to build a site is genius. This will be a destination for sure.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:24 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post
JFC. With all the empty lots in Arapahoe Square, with all the redevelopment or empty lot opportunities along Broadway (I'm looking at YOU, Mr. 2/3-of-a-square-block Sports Castle, and YOU, Little Miss 2/3-of-a-square-block parking lot hiding behind the Mayan Theater), with those and other juicy sites in central Denver where they could have added to and fed off of the vibrant street life, Meow Wolf chose an isolated, ugly chunk of solidified car exhaust for their home. Elsewhere on-line they stated that they chose the site because of its "...low impact urban infill" nature. Low impact indeed. Just goes to show, imagination is nothing without vision.
Seems like one of Meow Wolf's desires in a site is a nice surface parking lot that's adjacent to their building. Might be the same reason why they didn't end up in RiNo. However, Broadway and Arapahoe Square don't necessarily need an year-round attraction like Meow Wolf to get things going while Sunnyside really could benefit from such an attraction.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Seems like one of Meow Wolf's desires in a site is a nice surface parking lot that's adjacent to their building. Might be the same reason why they didn't end up in RiNo. However, Broadway and Arapahoe Square don't necessarily need an year-round attraction like Meow Wolf to get things going while Sunnyside really could benefit from such an attraction.
Good points... Hadn't thought of it as somewhat of an anchor/assist for Sunnyside but that's just like wong to think outside the Box.

I'm sure they want this to be a destination with good access which I assume this will have. When you consider that Revesco Properties is involved you know that parking had to be a yuge consideration.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:51 PM

To be fair, I think remote locations are kinda part of their Schick. The original in Santa Fe is nearly 4 miles outside of the historic center, surrounded by strip malls and parking lots on one of the worst "Stroads" I have ever seen (as an aside, northern New Mexico has some of the craziest, messiest, at-grade highways I have ever seen in the US - and for better or for worse, its part of the visual identity of that part of the state). They seem to want to be a destination - the sole reason a tourist would make a deliberate visit to that part of the city. And walkable urbanism doesn't seem to be on their radar of priorities.

That said, I'm not sure if any other development would ever have used that leftover scrap of land in quite such an interesting way. So as others have pointed out, it may ultimately be of help to Sunnyside even if that wasn't their intention.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
To be fair, I think remote locations are kinda part of their Schick. The original in Santa Fe is nearly 4 miles outside of the historic center, surrounded by strip malls and parking lots on one of the worst "Stroads" I have ever seen (as an aside, northern New Mexico has some of the craziest, messiest, at-grade highways I have ever seen in the US - and for better or for worse, its part of the visual identity of that part of the state). They seem to want to be a destination - the sole reason a tourist would make a deliberate visit to that part of the city. And walkable urbanism doesn't seem to be on their radar of priorities.

That said, I'm not sure if any other development would ever have used that leftover scrap of land in quite such an interesting way. So as others have pointed out, it may ultimately be of help to Sunnyside even if that wasn't their intention.
Yep - I can’t think of any other commercial activity that could maximize that space compared to MeowWolf. I realize the hope that it could be configured into an urban, walkable community, but the size and scale doesn’t lend itself to being tucked into a storefront. As was previously suggested; the old Sportscastle on Broadway is a neat building, but how will everyone access it? Keep in mind; people will come from all over the place to experience it; probably more than 1K per day in ticket sales. I can’t even find a place to park on Broadway right now; can you imagine hordes of commuters coming down from Wyoming, the foothills, or Aurora?

Bottom line, this place needs parking and access to light rail, which this place has. Plus, the drawing shows the building suited above grade on the surrounding arteries.. I25, Colfax, Auroria Parkway. Can you imagine how many people will drive by this place on a daily basis and look into the windows filled with strange lights, sculptures, and crazy art? It will advertise itself. I’m just glad they chose Denver and not Aurora since this place will be one of the top tourist draws in the city, without a doubt.

I’ll be curious whether it makes further redevelopment likely on the Platte River throughout SunnySide? Wasn’t there plans to do something with that old power plant just south of there?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:39 PM

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Slight correction: That area is adjacent to Sun Valley, not Sunnyside. In any event, that location would not likely be used for anything else and it will help create some draw to the area. Especially with "Steam on the Platte" immediately south of them.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Pretty trippy place. These guys really think outside of the box, pun intended. And for them to choose the dead space under the viaduct to build a site is genius. This will be a destination for sure.
For sure thinking out of the box (we're in dire need of different types of designs!) and plus the location is perfect and will help kick-start the new stuff in Sun Valley south of the Broncos stadium.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
For sure thinking out of the box (we're in dire need of different types of designs!) and plus the location is perfect and will help kick-start the new stuff in Sun Valley south of the Broncos stadium.
Yes the Sun Valley Ecodistrict (SVED) is planned for that entire area south of Colfax along the river:

And then there is the plan for a $350 million entertainment district led by the Broncos on the parking lots south of the stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West