HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 8:40 PM

Phew! That was a close one. They denied the 12 story proposal that IMO would have blocked mountain views. They gave approval for greater heights to the old gravel quarry near the mouth of Big Cottonwood, and to Union Park, the office building cluster on about 1100 E. & Fort Union Blvd. The office development of Old Mill did not receive approval. Old Mill is where the 12-story office building was proposed. The gravel quarry was approved because most of the land there is unbuildable and they wanted to give an extra incentive for developers to build(see article).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
Lurker

That's good news!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:03 PM

Merit Medical launches $45 million expansion in South Jordan

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...south.html.csp

Merit Medical Systems Inc., a maker of disposable medical products, is poised to begin construction of a fourth building on its South Jordan campus.

The $45 million, 240,000-square-foot structure is expected to take two years to complete and will create approximately 350 construction jobs during that time, said spokeswoman Anne-Marie Wright.

“We’ve been growing very rapidly, and this is something that we have been planning for quite a while,” she said, adding the new building eventually will house an additional 700 new employees who are expected to be brought onboard over the next five to 10 years...

Rendering courtesy of Merit Medical Merit Medical's new $45 million building is expected to be completed in 2012.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:49 PM

Montage Job fair seeks to fill 450 positions

http://www.parkrecord.com/summit_cou...ss/ci_16165967

Even though it is called a "job" fair, the Montage Deer Valley is looking to fill "career" openings next Wednesday and Thursday.
Before joining the company, Montage Deer Valley's Director of Human Resources Keli Christensen says she stayed at one of the California properties as a guest. She was looking to treat her husband and didn't know much about the brand. What she experienced made her in want to know more about the company...

The Montage Deer Valley hotel will open in early December. It is holding a job fair this coming Wednesday and Thursday to fill roughly 450 positions. Photo by Grayson West/Park Record.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:38 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

I notice this the other day while driving by there. There have been a few new buildings added to that campus during the past five years. It's too bad they have to design all there buildings the same. I was kind of hoping this new building would have a different design. Oh well. Still it's always good to have more jobs added to the area.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Merit Medical launches $45 million expansion in South Jordan

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...south.html.csp

Rendering courtesy of Merit Medical Merit Medical's new $45 million building is expected to be completed in 2012.

That looks like something from 1980. Terrible design!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:59 PM

Big D consortium wins bid to build U.S. data center

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...enter.html.csp

Quote:
Salt Lake City-based Big-D Construction is part of a consortium that has been awarded a $1.2 billion contract to build a data center for U.S. intelligence agencies at Camp Williams.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced late Friday that it had selected the joint venture of Balfour Beatty/DPR/Big-D to build the 1.5 million square foot facility for the National Security Agency.
Quote:
Construction of the data center is expected to be completed by June 2012. It will include 100,000 square feet of computer space, where the country’s intelligence agencies will collect data to be used by the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies to protect national security networks and issue warnings about cyber-security threats.

That core will be surrounded by more than 900,000 square feet of technical support and administrative space, Army Corps spokeswoman Katisha Draughn said in the release. In addition, support facilities include an electrical sub-station, a vehicle inspection building and visitor control center, fuel and water storage structures and a chiller plant.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 7:34 PM

I wonder when they're gonna start.. seems like they'd need to get going as soon as possible to be completed by that time. This is one development I'm not sure I'll attempt to photograph... It'll probably be ugly though, as most federal buildings are.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 8:20 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I wonder when they're gonna start.. seems like they'd need to get going as soon as possible to be completed by that time. This is one development I'm not sure I'll attempt to photograph... It'll probably be ugly though, as most federal buildings are.

I'm wondering that as well. If they want to finish by June 2012 they would have to start now. That's less then two years away and most projects take anywhere from 18-24 months.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 10:25 AM

FLSmidth opens new technology research center in Midvale

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...vale.html?pg=1

...FLSmidth, a global player in the minerals processing industry that is headquartered in Denmark, on Wednesday opened its new technology center in the View72 Corporate Center, at 7200 S. 1100 West, in Midvale.

The opening, attended by many of the 400 employees who will work there and several local dignitaries, contained a certain irony.
The location was once the site of a gigantic smelting and tailings area that landed on the Superfund list and needed to be cleansed before it could be considered safe. Meanwhile, FLSmidth is a leader in devising new ways to make a cleaner and more environmentally friendly activity. And the building itself features many eco-friendly characteristics and is the biggest LEED-certified office park in Utah...

Last edited by delts145; Nov 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 11:52 AM

Unprecedented: Deer Valley No. 1 for the fourth time

SKI Magazine readers again name the resort their top pick

Jeffrey D. Allred For The New York Times

By Andrew Kirk
The Park Record

For the fourth year in a row, 20,000 readers of SKI Magazine have selected Deer Valley Resort as the No. 1 resort in North America.
The results of the closely watched survey were announced Thursday night, said Jessica Kunzer, spokesperson for Ski Utah.

No other resort has topped the rankings four years in a row.

"It's quite an honor pretty darn incredible," said Bob Wheaton, president and general manager.

It also marks 10 years Deer Valley finished in the top three.

lodging4vacation.com

In the subcategories, the resort finished first in grooming, guest service, dining and lodging, and second place in lifts, weather and family programs.

"All the people on staff made this happen every day," he said. "It's something we can't let off the gas on one little bit. Yesterday's accomplishments are just that."

Wheaton said he credits peer mentoring for the high level of service his employees provide guests.

"If you're in a position to provide an elevated level of service, and are provided the tools to do that, the response you get back from guests is very positive and reinforces what you're doing," he said.

Deer Valley Resort

Park City Mountain Resort was ranked No. 5 overall and has been in the top five for six of the past seven years. It was in the top 10 for nine subcategories.

President and General Manager Jenni Smith said creating a positive experience for families has been a goal and the survey ranked the resort in the top three in that category.

Todd Burnette, vice president of marketing for Canyons Resort, said the resort was ranked 18th overall. That's an improvement of two spots in a ski season that saw no mountain improvements, he said. Burnette said he credits the climb to the resort's attentive response to guest feedback.
Since the resort made the most significant on-mountain improvements of any resort in North America this year, he expects the ranking to climb further in next year's survey and continue improving.

"I really see us moving up this list fairly quickly over the next few years as people experience the improvements we'll be making," he said.

Kunzer said the rankings resonate with destination skiers and improve how people see the state.

"It makes us feel really special that people are passionate about our resorts," she said. "When you look at the wonderful resorts in other states we're ranked against, it's quite the achievement."

Last edited by delts145; Oct 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 11:46 AM

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 11:15 PM

That building could have easily been a 10-story building downtown.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 6:18 AM
Exit 298

Until downtown can offer the same perks as Sandy can, the buildings will keep being in Sandy.

I do think CCC and more transit downtown will help ... but I must admit if I had a business, a lot of the downtown SLC ordinances would feel like too much of a strangle-hold for me to consider plunking down there. I'd probably go out to the International Center, personally. Or Lake Park in West Valley.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 12:48 PM

Miller group buys Landcruiser restoration company

The Deseret News

The Larry H. Miller Group announced Thursday that the company has acquired Proffitt's Cruisers of Austin, Colo. Proffitt's Cruisers specializes in restoring and building custom Toyota Land Cruisers. The LHM Group plans to continue operations in Austin and will open a new headquarters facility at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele.

The company also plans to expand the operation by offering a wide array of products and services including original equipment manufacturer, aftermarket and custom parts. In addition, it will manufacture custom parts such as suspension components, bumpers and conversion kits, and make them available for retail customers.

Miller and Proffitt also plan to open a Land Cruiser museum at Miller Motorsports Park by the end of this year, a news release stated. The museum will house Toyota Land Cruisers from Miller's and Proffitt's personal collections as well as from other collectors.

Vehicles dating back to 1959 will be included with models ranging from Toyota's earliest Land Cruiser, the FJ25, to modern exotic Land Cruisers from all over the world. The Utah location is scheduled to be operational in early December.

— Jasen Lee

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 7:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

So it looks like the plan 3-story West Jordan library is about to break ground. Since that is in my neck of the woods I drive pass that site all the time and just within the last few days crews have been clearing out that site and now there's a fence with a few backhoes on site as well as a trailer. No work as been done as of yet. However the site looks like it's getting ready for a ground breaking that could take place next week. ( Monday maybe ) I'll keep you all up to date since I can see all of this just by looking out my window.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:25 PM

MHTN Architects

The new West Jordan Library will be the new central headquarters for the Salt Lake County library system. The library itself will be approximately 20,000 sq. ft. The administration area that includes management, customer support and information technology will be 20,000 square feet as well and will replace the current administration area in Whitmore Library which has been undersized for quite some time. In addition there will be a large 15,000 sq. ft. community room for use by library patrons and the local citizens as well.

MHTN Architects, Inc. has been selected as the design firm for the new West Jordan Library.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:08 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Until downtown can offer the same perks as Sandy can, the buildings will keep being in Sandy.

I do think CCC and more transit downtown will help ... but I must admit if I had a business, a lot of the downtown SLC ordinances would feel like too much of a strangle-hold for me to consider plunking down there. I'd probably go out to the International Center, personally. Or Lake Park in West Valley.
What perks are you referring to?

Increased surface road traffic, just out of walking range from transit, and having to drive to nearly every service other than whats in your building. Those are the "perks" over downtown that I can think of.

Seriously though, please do explain what "Perks" Sandy has to offer.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

My biggest issue with the proposed 12 story building in the Old Mill area wasn't the blocked views of the mountains, 3-4 stories would have been below 215 level anyway, and you are past the building within a second or two anyway. I did like that they were trying to be more dense in areas.

My issue was the traffic. They are already adding a 3rd east bound lane off 215 southbound to handle the traffic needs and there is only one maybe two entrances into that entire area of office buildings, in which the 12 story one would have been located. Getting in and out of there would have been a traffic nightmare. Had there been additional access from more than just one point of ingress and egress I wouldn't have really had a problem with it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I was wondering which downtown SLC ordinances do you feel are so restrictive?? Do you think there are institutional roadblocks that the city is erecting that are hindering downtown development?

I would assume that the cost of property downtown is what most restricts new business there. The city seems very, very friendly and accommodating to business from my point of view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West