HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:51 PM

Just got an email from the University to fill out a survey for the 2023 UA Master Plan. This is your chance to give feedback/opinions/grievances/kudos/what you want to see for the future of UA.

Check your inbox

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Just got an email from the University to fill out a survey for the 2023 UA Master Plan. This is your chance to give feedback/opinions/grievances/kudos/what you want to see for the future of UA.

Check your inbox

I filled mine out and demanded that they get rid of the ugly parking lot behind Gorgas Library. I also wrote that the North face of Gorgas needs to finally be renovated to be in harmony with the rest of the Greek Revival style on campus. Clark Hall and the other two buildings on either side, are so beautiful and that lot just sabotages it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
I filled mine out and demanded that they get rid of the ugly parking lot behind Gorgas Library. I also wrote that the North face of Gorgas needs to finally be renovated to be in harmony with the rest of the Greek Revival style on campus. Clark Hall and the other two buildings on either side, are so beautiful and that lot just sabotages it.
Those are good suggestions

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 3:32 PM

Wow! Talk about an abandoned forum. Let's hear some good news around the University:

https://news.ua.edu/2023/05/ua-led-e...ational-award/

All we do is win win win win win win win win:

https://news.ua.edu/2023/06/ua-robot...inues-winning/

More UA students getting recognition:

https://news.ua.edu/2023/06/3-ua-stu...-scholarships/

Another successful Bama Blitz:

https://news.ua.edu/2023/04/over-150...ast-2-million/

Another dynasty that doesn't get enough recognition:

https://news.ua.edu/2023/04/alabama-...-championship/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 10:33 PM

Just spoke to an individual who is heavily involved in recruiting students to BAMA. Expect another record-breaking class for Fall 2023. RTR

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Just spoke to an individual who is heavily involved in recruiting students to BAMA. Expect another record-breaking class for Fall 2023. RTR
Fantastic! How is that new research campus coming along?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Fantastic! How is that new research campus coming along?
The Innovation District is still in the planning stages. Russ Mumper, the Vice President for Reseach, was hired away by Indiana University. Now, we have a national search for a new VP who can continue the momentum. Russ developed the idea for the Innovation District and did tons of detailed work, including lining up all the partners. He was highly sought after by universities around the nation. Last year, he was a finalist for Chancellor of the University of Arkansas system. The new VP hire is going to be crucial. In the meantime, UA is continuing to build out a lot of research space on the northern Bryce campus (USGS building, Cyber Hall, and Alabama Smart Communities and Innovation building). This will allow the University to hire some "big dog" researchers who will fill their labs with graduate students.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Russ Mumper, the Vice President for Reseach, was hired away by Indiana University.
Seems to be a common theme at UA. Not just athletics but academics as well. Well I hope we can find someone because we need the research money to keep flowing now that Shelby retired

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:15 PM

Nursing student quits UA over Neo-Marxist indoctrination in a class

Some of you are going to hate me for doing this, but below is the text of a letter written by a Nursing student who decided to transfer from UA due to her experience at UA with a Neo-Marxist professor. Here is a link to an 1819news.com piece that came out today about her letter: https://1819news.com/news/item/nursi...exism-and-lies

I noticed that Stuart Bell did not affirm that UA still supports Equity when asked about UA's support for DEI at a recent press conference. He only affirmed support for Diversity and Inclusion. Seems like Bell now realizes that he allowed a Trojan Horse into UA's campus when he allowed them to set up an Office of DEI. Surely, UA admin would prefer the state play bad cop and legally get rid of this Trojan Horse at UA and other schools across the state. Please contact your legiscritter and demand an end to tax payer funded DEI in higher ed at Alabama.

Dr. Bell,

I am writing to inform you of several concerns about a class I took this past spring, AEL 667 with Dr. Nirmala Erevelles. This class was supposed to cover: Multicultural and Social Education for Leadership Personnel. I was a student in the EdD in Instructional Leadership, concentration in Nursing Education program. I have withdrawn to pursue a DNP at another school due to my experience in this course.

My concerns began the first meeting we had with Dr. Erevelles. In this program, we meet once a semester on campus for orientation. Dr. Erevelles informed us that she taught CRT courses at the school, but that this course would not focus on Critical Race Theory. At the beginning of our first meeting, she informed us that we all have racial biases, and that she noticed when she walked into the auditorium that we all looked at her because she was "brown". She also asked us if anyone in our class pursues or works in ministries or volunteers. I raised my hand, as a nurse, service is critical to my personal and professional life. Again, we were informed that we were racist because this is "othering" people.

At our first online meeting, Dr. Erevelles immediately began attacking Governor DeSantis and telling the class that the state is going through syllabi and arresting professors for teaching CRT or LGBTQ issues. As a Floridian, I informed the class this is not true. We were surprised to learn however, that she does not have oversight on her syllabus and no one is monitoring the course. She told us she is allowed to teach whatever she wants. She also stated she would teach us how to subvert laws and teach CRT concepts in states where it is illegal.

The first text she had us read, Fresh Fruit: Broken Bodies, by Seth Holmes repeatedly refers to pro-Marxist philosophers and CRT concepts. One of the more alarming ideas in this text is that healthcare workers should overlook Triqui marriage practices because they often marry 14-year-old girls to 18-year-old men so we shouldn't contact the Department of Children and Family Services if a 14-year-old from this group comes in pregnant. Doing so would be ignoring their culture and othering.

At our next meeting, Dr. Erevelles discussed disability issues. One of the slides she posted stated, "Fifty percent of people killed by police are disabled". This is an outright lie and premised upon the fact that disability now extends to almost every person because obesity, anxiety, heart disease, diabetes and depression are considered disabilities according to the ADA. As the wife of a Police Officer, I immediately pointed out that this type of rhetoric is what rioters have used to incite violence against Police and she needs to consider removing that statement from her slides.

The last text we were required to read in this class is the most alarming. Gender: A Graphic Guide, discusses topics such as Intersex People who think they have different chromosomes than XX and XY. It also discusses the idea that behaviors and actions influence hormones so if you act differently than your gender, your biological gender will change. And then there's this statement: "The anger of white men can be linked to the cultural promise that they can be anything and have anything, and the sense that they've had that future taken away from them". It is an attack on white heterosexual men and women throughout the text.

There is more, the main text for this course is all pro-Marxist propaganda. I brought up these concerns to Dr. McKnight, but I was told that Dr. Erevelles is a pro-Marxist theorist and she teaches from that perspective. I refused to attend Dr. Erevelles' last meeting and asked for an "Incomplete". While I read the material, I am not giving merit to this nonsensical course by spending any more time on it.

If I had known that Alabama was so heavily steeped in CRT and Marxism, I never would have applied. Dr. Erevelles teaches 2 more courses in the EdD program and I cannot continue to be called a racist or read propaganda. These concepts promote hate, racism, sexism and lies. No part of the class had any assignments or focus on leadership or multicultural leadership.

I am respectfully requesting my tuition back for this class. This class was billed as a leadership course but only contained pro-Marxist and CRT concepts. The past two semesters have cost a considerable amount. My cohort approached your DNP program at Alabama to see if we could transfer any of the courses and they refused, even the Statistics course would not transfer. It was surprising that they would not accept any courses that were taught by Alabama. I was able however, to find a school that would accept two of the courses I have taken into their DNP program and I will finish my doctorate with them.

I hope you are as alarmed as I was that this is being taught at your school. I am lucky to live in a state where we have accountability for what we teach. As a nursing instructor, we are also accountable for student outcomes. This seems to be lacking in the Education Department at Alabama.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Sarah Budde, MBA, MSN, RN, CEN

SARAH BUDDE | OWNER
Budde Solutions LLC.
Training and Consulting Services
buddesolutions.com

Last edited by atlanta68; Aug 25, 2023 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:21 PM

Report from AAEI on DEI at UA and Auburn

https://americanmind.org/salvo/woke-...eart-of-dixie/

https://www.thecollegefix.com/auburn...-report-warns/

These pieces above discuss a report on DEI at UA and AU. AAEI, or Alabamians for Academic Excellence and Integrity, paid for the report. The author of the report also did one for Texas A&M, prior to the state of TX passing a bill to eliminate DEI from higher ed there.

Here is the link to the pdf of the report: https://dc.claremont.org/wp-content/...e-Report-3.pdf

DEI programs at both schools have failed to "diversify" either school and are wasting precious resources. Both schools have lowered standards since the arrival of DEI. Both schools have fallen in academic rankings since DEI's arrival.

Alabamians for Academic Excellence and Integrity's website is here: https://alabamiansaei.org/

Last edited by atlanta68; Aug 25, 2023 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:30 AM

I didn't realize this parcel of land across McFarland Blvd from the Bryce campus was a part of UA. What is the use of acquiring it, I wonder.

https://imgur.com/a/f7fFeaF

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:32 AM

1819 News is an arm of the right wing propaganda pusher Yellowhammer News. Take everything they report with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
1819 News is an arm of the right wing propaganda pusher Yellowhammer News. Take everything they report with a grain of salt.
Would it be better had I linked from Neo-Marxist Al.com? 1819 was not the only media source discussing this story. Check out the other links. Better yet, read Sarah's letter!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:04 PM

Feen, you are correct, 1819 is a propaganda site and David is a "one-trick pony" and a follower of the cult. Sad, but true.

Anyway, your question about the campus property to the east of McFarland Blvd. The original plan, about 5+ years ago, was to develop the property into a camping area for students. I believe students can currently camp there, but, the picnic area and fishing pond have yet to be developed as planned. I think it is just a case of priorities. I think, if the new Master Plan map (that should be released by early 2024) shows it the same, it will probably remain in limbo. By the way, the University owns a lot of property outside the border of the campus that will eventually end up being campus land.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Feen, you are correct, 1819 is a propaganda site and David is a "one-trick pony" and a follower of the cult. Sad, but true.

Anyway, your question about the campus property to the east of McFarland Blvd. The original plan, about 5+ years ago, was to develop the property into a camping area for students. I believe students can currently camp there, but, the picnic area and fishing pond have yet to be developed as planned. I think it is just a case of priorities. I think, if the new Master Plan map (that should be released by early 2024) shows it the same, it will probably remain in limbo. By the way, the University owns a lot of property outside the border of the campus that will eventually end up being campus land.

What does 1819 have to do with the substance of this student's letter exposing a radical anti White professor at UA? Did 1819 write the letter or did the student? Who is David?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 6:16 PM

Guys, this will be a "dream come true" for me. RTR

https://tuscaloosathread.com/dch-uni...ed-in-support/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Guys, this will be a "dream come true" for me. RTR

https://tuscaloosathread.com/dch-uni...ed-in-support/
Would be nice for the University to get involved. I know the UA system has UAB as THE medical school for the system but I would love to see UA in Tuscaloosa have it's own medical school and get that research money that comes with having a medical school.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 9:02 PM

So Chris Christie hinted that a presidential (primary) debate may be scheduled in Tuscaloosa in October? Ugh, the traffic.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 9:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Sounds more like a glamping opportunity, haha!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Sounds more like a glamping opportunity, haha!
Now, there's an idea!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast